Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

about 125 WWII photos of Anzio and Rome etc German, Italian, American

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • about 125 WWII photos of Anzio and Rome etc German, Italian, American

    hosted on imgur by someone, around 125 photos of WWII.. http://imgur.com/gallery/nnYkd

    Good photos of tanks, Italian divers, Italian helmets, M4 Sherman tanks, German tanks many kinds, POWs, etc.

  • #2
    Great pictures, thanks for posting.
    Very interesting to see those Fallschirmjeager pictures, they must have been a though nut to crack.
    It's great to see both sides concerned about the wounded side by side, a bit of humanity in a horrible period of time.

    D.

    Comment


    • #3
      I'll bet every one of those guys is thinking "I'm so glad I'm not in Russia."

      Comment


      • #4
        Wow. That's an impressive set of photos, ones I have not seen before. Thanks for posting!

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Euroamerican View Post
          Wow. That's an impressive set of photos, ones I have not seen before. Thanks for posting!
          I had not seen them before, the poster said many were from national archives somewhere, but some stunning images in there.

          Comment


          • #6
            1st May in New York.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by riderboy View Post
              I'll bet every one of those guys is thinking "I'm so glad I'm not in Russia."
              Not really, look at the mud.
              It was every bit as miserable as Russia, the only thing going for it was that your chances of survival in case of surrender were better, on the other hand you had constant aerial bombardments.
              The italian front from 1944 on was bitter warfare in usually very inhospitable terrain with extremely poor infrastructure.
              Anzio was probably the best terrain in regards to that as it was a fascist prestige project.

              Comment


              • #8
                Also, a great collection from Germany, spring 1945. https://lenta.ru/photo/2017/01/03/archive#8

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by JCR View Post

                  Not really, look at the mud.
                  It was every bit as miserable as Russia, the only thing going for it was that your chances of survival in case of surrender were better, on the other hand you had constant aerial bombardments.
                  The italian front from 1944 on was bitter warfare in usually very inhospitable terrain with extremely poor infrastructure.
                  Anzio was probably the best terrain in regards to that as it was a fascist prestige project.
                  Good point. I just got thru reading Survivors of Stalingrad, edited by Reinhold Busch and I think that was on my mind. Not only the battle, but the captivity afterwards.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by riderboy View Post
                    Good point. I just got thru reading Survivors of Stalingrad, edited by Reinhold Busch and I think that was on my mind. Not only the battle, but the captivity afterwards.
                    Not in '44. but Ortona comes to mind.

                    Question: did the Allies treat RSI captives any differently than how they treated Italian POWs before the 1943 surrender? I guess it was always miles and miles better than falling in the hands of partisans, who were causing a big mess for the Germans and the RSI.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X