This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by riderboy View Post
    Dec.7,1941. 75th Anniversary today of the Japanese sneak attack on Pearl Harbor Hawaii.
    never forget. I was lucky one year to meet a Pearl Harbor survivor who had made it his mission to speak to people about the event. Also I interviewed/ recorded my father in law about his memories of 7 Dec 1941 and that was memorable. One day all those who remember that attack will be gone from this life.

Comment

• I will tell you a Pearl Harbor survivor you know through photos....is Jim Leavelle. You will recognize him in this photo wearing the light colored hat and light colored suit....

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ce%2C_1963.jpg

Jim Leavelle is at Pearl Harbor today, still alive and kicking. heard on the local news here.

Comment

• When you look at it from a strategic level bombing Pearl Harbor didn't do anything other than make the American public really mad. battleships and cruisers had been reduced to auxiliary support for shore bombardment and anti-aircraft warfare the two most important vessels in any navy where aircraft carriers and submarines. the submarine pins were untouched and the carriers weren't there. They also missed the shipyards and oil reserves.

Comment

• Oil reserves and the shipyard would have been very difficult to knock out for anything other than very short term (less than a week or so).

Experience of the RAF and Luftwaffe showed that industrial machinery (heavy lathes etc.) could only be disabled by direct hits from HE bombs. The only way to permanently take such machinery out was with incendiaries and lots of them.

Likewise the oil tanks were only vulnerable to direct hits. Fuel oil as used in ships is quite hard to ignite at the best of times. And there were plans to expand the oil capacity as the fleet being based at Pearl was a new thing and so the existing tank farm wasn't regarded as big enough. The idea was to dig large pits and line them with rubberised fabric before filling them. This technique was later used on various Pacific islands as the USN advanced and worked well. The pits had already been dug by 7 December.

Comment

• A few days past...

http://www.militarytimes.com/article...render-demands

1944: Brig. Gen. Anthony C. McAuliffe, commander of the 101st Airborne Division, was presented with a formal demand from the German XXXXVII Panzer Korps that he surrender Bastogne during the Battle of the Bulge. McAuliffe was at a loss for a suitable reply, though his operations officer, Lt. Col. Harry Kinnard, had a suggestion based on something he heard McAuliffe say several times that morning. The reply: β€œTo the German commander. NUTS! The American commander.” Read more about the Battle of the Bulge on HistoryNet.com.

Comment

Working...
            X