This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by riderboy View Post
    Dec.7,1941. 75th Anniversary today of the Japanese sneak attack on Pearl Harbor Hawaii.
    never forget. I was lucky one year to meet a Pearl Harbor survivor who had made it his mission to speak to people about the event. Also I interviewed/ recorded my father in law about his memories of 7 Dec 1941 and that was memorable. One day all those who remember that attack will be gone from this life.

Comment

• I will tell you a Pearl Harbor survivor you know through photos....is Jim Leavelle. You will recognize him in this photo wearing the light colored hat and light colored suit....

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ce%2C_1963.jpg

Jim Leavelle is at Pearl Harbor today, still alive and kicking. heard on the local news here.

Comment

• When you look at it from a strategic level bombing Pearl Harbor didn't do anything other than make the American public really mad. battleships and cruisers had been reduced to auxiliary support for shore bombardment and anti-aircraft warfare the two most important vessels in any navy where aircraft carriers and submarines. the submarine pins were untouched and the carriers weren't there. They also missed the shipyards and oil reserves.

Comment

• Oil reserves and the shipyard would have been very difficult to knock out for anything other than very short term (less than a week or so).

Experience of the RAF and Luftwaffe showed that industrial machinery (heavy lathes etc.) could only be disabled by direct hits from HE bombs. The only way to permanently take such machinery out was with incendiaries and lots of them.

Likewise the oil tanks were only vulnerable to direct hits. Fuel oil as used in ships is quite hard to ignite at the best of times. And there were plans to expand the oil capacity as the fleet being based at Pearl was a new thing and so the existing tank farm wasn't regarded as big enough. The idea was to dig large pits and line them with rubberised fabric before filling them. This technique was later used on various Pacific islands as the USN advanced and worked well. The pits had already been dug by 7 December.

Comment

• A few days past...

http://www.militarytimes.com/article...render-demands

1944: Brig. Gen. Anthony C. McAuliffe, commander of the 101st Airborne Division, was presented with a formal demand from the German XXXXVII Panzer Korps that he surrender Bastogne during the Battle of the Bulge. McAuliffe was at a loss for a suitable reply, though his operations officer, Lt. Col. Harry Kinnard, had a suggestion based on something he heard McAuliffe say several times that morning. The reply: “To the German commander. NUTS! The American commander.” Read more about the Battle of the Bulge on HistoryNet.com.

Comment

• 24 February (1836)

On this day in 1836, William Barret Travis, commanding the Texans under attack in the Alamo, wrote his famous letter addressed "To the People of Texas and All Americans in the World." In the letter, he pledged that he would "never surrender or retreat" and swore "Victory or Death." The predominant message, however, was an entreaty for help: "I call on you in the name of Liberty, of patriotism & everything dear to the American character, to come to our aid, with all dispatch." Travis knew that his men, besieged by Mexican forces under Martín Perfecto de Cos, could not hold out long without reinforcements. Inspired by his letter, more troops did make their way to San Antonio, but too few and too late to avert disaster. Travis was among the first to die in the battle of the Alamo, on March 6.
              as an aside note.....I was honored to go to university with a direct descendant male of the above named commander of the Alamo, William B. Travis. The fellow I knew really well, was also named Travis and his family still lived in San Antonio. most of the males in his family had been in the military since those early days of Texas.

painting of William B. Travis commander of the Alamo 1836 from Wikipedia..

Comment

• Bud Liebenow, a US Navy officer who rescued future President John F. Kennedy during WWII, has died.

The WWII Navy officer who guided his warship into Japanese territory to rescue future President John F. Kennedy and his crew passed away at age 97, his daughter said Sunday.

https://worldisraelnews.com/wwii-nav...nnedy-dies-97/

ZL

Comment

• 100 years ago today on 9 April 1917, The Battle of Vimy Ridge.

It was the first time a Canadian Corps of four divisions had fought together and is widely regarded as a great victory and a defining moment in Canadian history.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Vimy_Ridge

Lest we forget.

Comment

• We Will Remember Them...

Comment

• Present at the commemoration ceremony today are the French President, HRH The Prince of Wales and Prince William and Prince Harry.

Comment

• Originally posted by breki View Post
                        Present at the commemoration ceremony today are the French President, HRH The Prince of Wales and Prince William and Prince Harry.
                        ... And Justin the dear PM. ;-)

We shall remember. Canadian forces have been known for their bravery in both World Wars.

Comment

• Originally posted by JakeScully View Post

... And Justin the dear PM. ;-)
                          Yeah, that douche was there too. He actually gave a pretty decent speech, I was surprised. The Prince of Wales' speech was pretty awesome too.

Hollande's speech was shit. I don't know what that cocksucker was on about but he was clearly out of touch with the spirit of the day. Bad speech.

Comment

• The Battle of Culloden was fought on the 16th of April 1746, which put an end to the Jacobite rebellion as well as the clan system, essentially.

Comment

• Masada fell today also, in 73 CE. (It's the 16th in the right hemisphere)

Comment

• April 18th 1942, Jimmy Doolittle and his merry men bombed Tokyo, taking off in Mitchell B 25B bombers from the deck of the aircraft carrier Hornet. 75 years ago. Ted Lawson, pilot of The Ruptured Duck, wrote his famous book 30 Seconds Over Tokyo on which this movie was based.

Comment

Working...
                                X