X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GB_FXST
    started a topic Shoah: Articles and previously unknown facts

Shoah: Articles and previously unknown facts

The purpose of this thread is to share articles and previously unknown facts about the Holocaust / Shoah:

The Catholic, French count who saved a Jewish family from the Nazis

In his castle in rural France, Count Henri de Menthon discreetly and humbly saved Jewish children in during World War II.

http://m.jpost.com/#article=6017NDMy...A3MzMxOEZFMzg=

• GB_FXST
    replied
    When the Holocaust reached Africa
    After years of dodging the subject, the suffering of North African Jewry is finally out in the open; state institutions have started acknowledging the Maghreb survivors, sparking local curiosity —and some interesting initiatives.

It’s been 76 years since Nazi Germany started its hunt for Tunisian Jews—and only a short while since the tragedy of this community, and other North African communities, has begun to be acknowledged alongside the Holocaust that took place in Europe.

https://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,...426923,00.html

Leave a comment:

• GB_FXST
    replied
    CUTTING-EDGE TECHNOLOGY PRESERVES MEMORY OF HOLOCAUST IN A NEW WAY

While most people are familiar with the figure of six million Jews who were murdered in the Holocaust, many are not aware that close to a third of that number were Soviet citizens who lived in the Soviet territories before 1941. This number included those Jews living in the territories of western Russia, Belarus, Ukraine, Moldova, as well as the Baltic states which were annexed by the Soviets in 1939-1940. Many were killed as the Nazis passed through towns and cities as part of their occupation of Soviet territory, which began in June 1941. After World War II, Soviet historians and officials largely ignored and suppressed discussion of the Holocaust in the Soviet Union as a uniquely Jewish occurrence.

https://www.jpost.com//Israel-News/C...new-way-574296

Leave a comment:

• GB_FXST
    replied
    Originally posted by Mastermind View Post
    My Step Father was Jewish. He was 22 years old when he flew B-24 bombers into Germany. His father was a prominent Doctor in New York. His two brothers were in medical school, but he chose to enlist in the Army Air Corp. He wanted to be a fighter pilot. But, they washed him out and sent him to bomber school. They said he was too quiet to be an aggressive fighter pilot- but he was a good pilot. He said he did not care. All he wanted to do was get at the Nazis. He made a great career retiring from the Air Force at last in 1970. - You would have never thought this man could hold an ounce of hate in his heart. I asked him why he wanted to fight the Nazis. he said simply, I knew they were evil and were murdering Jews. They had to be stopped. I figured that flying airplanes into Germany would be the best and fastest way of doing that."

Because of him and his simple, direct logic, and his family had been German Jews from Frankfurt who would have ended up in the ovens if they had not emigrated to the US when they did, I have always been confused by American Jews supporting a political party that has a very sorry record of supporting Israel and Jews in general. It was, after all, Franklin Roosevelt who refused entry of the MS St. Louis in 1939, when America and the world already knew about the Nazis rounding up Jews in Europe and brutally murdering them. The St. Louis had over 900 desperate Jewish refugees, including children, fleeing that Nazi horror. The ship eventually had to return to German and most of the St. Louis refugees were murdered. Yet, to this very day, American Jews will universally support Roosevelt's party. My Step Father didn't- he put his life on the line against that sort of evil.

I simply have no understanding of American Jews who seem oblivious to that which would harm them. I asked a modern-day American Jew about it. She told me, "Look we are American Jews, those are Israeli Jews. There is a big difference, you know!" No- I do not know. I will never know! I simply do not understand that difference. I guess it must be a Jewish thing.
    I don't want to detail this thread, but I think the answer to this commonly asked question has a lot to do with the inherent philosophical conflict between:

A) The Jewish concept of Tikkun Olam (fix the world) in a safe haven (US Jews); and,

B) The practical realities of living in a dangerous neighborhood, after fleeing other dangerous neighborhoods (Israeli Jews).

It is basically the Dennis Prager axiom: there are two types of Jews: those that speak Hebrew, and those that don't.

Leave a comment:

• Nancy
    replied
    Originally posted by Mastermind View Post
    My Step Father was Jewish. He was 22 years old when he flew B-24 bombers into Germany. His father was a prominent Doctor in New York. His two brothers were in medical school, but he chose to enlist in the Army Air Corp. He wanted to be a fighter pilot. But, they washed him out and sent him to bomber school. They said he was too quiet to be an aggressive fighter pilot- but he was a good pilot. He said he did not care. All he wanted to do was get at the Nazis. He made a great career retiring from the Air Force at last in 1970. - You would have never thought this man could hold an ounce of hate in his heart. I asked him why he wanted to fight the Nazis. he said simply, I knew they were evil and were murdering Jews. They had to be stopped. I figured that flying airplanes into Germany would be the best and fastest way of doing that."

Because of him and his simple, direct logic, and his family had been German Jews from Frankfurt who would have ended up in the ovens if they had not emigrated to the US when they did, I have always been confused by American Jews supporting a political party that has a very sorry record of supporting Israel and Jews in general. It was, after all, Franklin Roosevelt who refused entry of the MS St. Louis in 1939, when America and the world already knew about the Nazis rounding up Jews in Europe and brutally murdering them. The St. Louis had over 900 desperate Jewish refugees, including children, fleeing that Nazi horror. The ship eventually had to return to German and most of the St. Louis refugees were murdered. Yet, to this very day, American Jews will universally support Roosevelt's party. My Step Father didn't- he put his life on the line against that sort of evil.

I simply have no understanding of American Jews who seem oblivious to that which would harm them. I asked a modern-day American Jew about it. She told me, "Look we are American Jews, those are Israeli Jews. There is a big difference, you know!" No- I do not know. I will never know! I simply do not understand that difference. I guess it must be a Jewish thing.
    I've struggled with this self-identity as well. I say to some, 'but they're our people' and they laugh it off as if it's something ridiculous people say like 'I support reindeers in tights' if that's what they want then why not right? Apparently, not everyone is into it not with the way their parents have been ragging off on their relatives everytime a phone call comes in asking for money. Oh they'll cuss at them all day. Why help them? Because we always see our parents do that's why. Dumbass. That's why.

Leave a comment:

• Mastermind
    replied

Because of him and his simple, direct logic, and his family had been German Jews from Frankfurt who would have ended up in the ovens if they had not emigrated to the US when they did, I have always been confused by American Jews supporting a political party that has a very sorry record of supporting Israel and Jews in general. It was, after all, Franklin Roosevelt who refused entry of the MS St. Louis in 1939, when America and the world already knew about the Nazis rounding up Jews in Europe and brutally murdering them. The St. Louis had over 900 desperate Jewish refugees, including children, fleeing that Nazi horror. The ship eventually had to return to Germany and most of the St. Louis refugees were murdered. Yet, to this very day, American Jews will universally support Roosevelt's party. My Step Father didn't- he put his life on the line against that sort of evil.

Last edited by Mastermind; 11-12-2018, 12:31 PM.

Leave a comment:

• GB_FXST
    replied
    'MOST OF THE REFUGEES COULDN'T FIND ECUADOR ON A MAP'
    How tiny Ecuador had a huge impact on Jews escaping the Holocaust

A new book by author Daniel Kersffeld tells how when many countries shut their doors to Jewish refugees, one welcomed them in, allowing them to thrive in the arts and sciences

https://www.timesofisrael.com/how-ti...the-holocaust/

Leave a comment:

• GB_FXST
    replied
    Holocaust survivor gets Dutch train company to pay damages

Salo Muller's parents were transported to concentration camps during WWII by the Nederlandse Spoorwegen train company, which both charged Dutch Jews for the journey and got paid by the Nazis; Muller decided to take on the company and force it to pay compensation to family of the victims it sent to their deaths.

https://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,...420519,00.html

Leave a comment:

• GB_FXST
    replied
    Trump celebrates Hanukkah with 8 Holocaust survivors

President Donald Trump is celebrating Hanukkah in the company of eight Holocaust survivors, telling each they had endured "evil beyond description"

The president also referenced the fatal October shooting of 11 Jews at a Pittsburgh synagogue. He says in the aftermath of that "sinister" killing, "we reaffirmed our solemn duty to confront anti-Semitism everywhere. Trump added that we "must stamp out this vile hatred from the world."

https://www.foxnews.com/us/trump-cel...aust-survivors

Leave a comment:

• GB_FXST
    replied
    Holocaust survivors gathered in four cities around the world on Tuesday to mark the third night of Hanukkah ― and to speak up about the horrors of anti-Semitism.

Menorah-lighting ceremonies brought hundreds of survivors together in Berlin, Jerusalem, Moscow and South Orange, New Jersey. It’s a sight that is becoming increasingly rare, as the survivors advance in age.

Roman Kent, an 89-year-old Polish-born Jew who survived three Nazi-run concentration camps, told a gathering of more than 100 survivors at South Orange’s Oheb Shalom Congregation that he hoped their presence would serve as a “beacon to future generations.”

Kent said that for years his “horrific memories” of the Holocaust made it difficult for him to celebrate Jewish holidays and tradition. Now he thinks there are many similarities between the story of Hanukkah and the stories of Holocaust survivors.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b0680a7ec9d41f

Leave a comment:

• GB_FXST
    replied
    The cigarette case that saved lives in the Holocaust
    Łódź Ghetto Prison: a Jewish artist, an inmate, gives a Jewish prison warden a gift to buy a fellow inmate’s life; the gift, a unique engraved silver cigarette pack, survived under the rubble and is to be presented in Israel soon.

https://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,...416774,00.html

Leave a comment:

• GB_FXST
    replied
    On December 2, the UK marks 80 years since the rescue of Jewish children from the Nazis, but the fate which befell some of those who made it to Britain is no cause for celebration

There is no doubting the lasting gratitude Jewish child refugees feel towards the UK or the generosity of those who opened their homes to them. “I have the greatest admiration for England and the English people. They were the only country that took us in,” recalled one. “To my dying day, I will be grateful to this country,” suggested another.

Nor can anything detract from the heroism of individuals such as Sir Nicholas Winton — “Britain’s Schindler” — who put themselves in great personal danger to oversee the rescue mission.

However, the focus on the Kindertransport also hides a somewhat guilty national conscience, both about those who were not able to escape to Britain, and the fates — including internment and deportation — which befell some of those “lucky ones” who did.

It was this bewildering change in attitude that caused one Jewish composer to write after his unexpected May 1940 internment: “Are these our friends, the same British people who received us in friendly fashion, recognized our work, offered our children their hospitality, gave us the feeling of a new homeland? … [And] now the friend comes with a changed, coldly unapproachable face, says ‘sorry’ and treats you, the trusting, grateful guest, like the worst enemy and criminal!”

https://www.timesofisrael.com/does-b...ty-conscience/

Leave a comment:

• GB_FXST
    replied
    A 95-year-old German has been accused of being a guard at an Austrian Nazi death camp and charged with being an accessory to the murder of tens of thousands of people.
    German prosecutors alleged that the man, identified only as Hans H due to legal reasons, has been an SS guard at Mauthausen death camp between mid-1944 to early 1945 and was part of the killing operation.
    At least 100,000 were killed in Austria’s largest Nazi death camp, with Hans H accused of being an accessory to the murder of 36,223 people, the BBC reported.

https://www.foxnews.com/world/german...azi-death-camp

Leave a comment:

• GB_FXST
    replied
    Funeral held for 110-year-old Polish nun who rescued Jews during Holocaust

A Polish nun who was believed to be the oldest nun in the world and was recognized as a rescuer of Jews during the Holocaust was laid to rest on Thursday after dying last week at the age of 110.

Sister Cecylia Roszak was remembered as modest and merciful as nuns and other members of the church gathered in Krakow to bid her farewell.

https://www.latimes.com/world/la-fg-...122-story.html

Leave a comment:

• GB_FXST
    replied
    Originally posted by Nemowork View Post

Thats a nicely censored piece.

It doesnt mention that the Klan had hundreds of thousands of members and until a few scandals involving the rape and murder of white women had tarnished the leadership they could organise mass parades through most major cities.

Germans were one of the main ethnic groups and the German American bund was creating mass rallies.

The Silver legion of America didn't have that sort of political mass but the silver shirts existed.

None of these groups were national powers but at the local level they could cause carnage at an election. These days America is seen as being friendly to Jews but that didnt really move past bare tolerance until the 50s and 60s. Before then any politician taking up Jewish rights would have been as popular as an anti-gun advocate in Texas.
    Correct, and social anti-Semitism, or prejudice across the board generally, was the norm. It is easily forgotten today.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X