Shoah: Articles and previously unknown facts

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A GREEK TOWN COMMEMORATES ITS HOLOCAUST HISTORY

‘We keep our memories alive,’ said the mayor of Trikala, where a new memorial was recently unveiled

On the morning of Nov. 11, 2018, a crowd of almost 200 people gathered in the center of Trikala, a Greek city located some 300 kilometers north of Athens. Conversing mainly in Greek, but also in Hebrew, English, Italian, and German, they were waiting at one of the main entrances to the old Jewish quarter to participate in the unveiling of Trikala’s Holocaust Memorial. Erected to commemorate the city’s 139 Jewish victims, the memorial is a joint initiative of the Trikala government and the city’s Jewish community.

https://www.tabletmag.com/jewish-lif...morial-trikala

Comment

• 'NOT ALL DUTCH JEWS WENT LIKE LAMBS TO THE SLAUGHTER'

A Dutch couple find forgotten Holocaust history in their countryside home

Amid ‘arguing, misery and work,’ it is discovered that their new estate had been the center for one of Holland’s most daring rescue operations conducted by Jews for Jews

https://www.timesofisrael.com/a-dutc...ntryside-home/

Comment

• Israeli divers to search for Holocaust victims’ remains in the Danube

https://www.timesofisrael.com/israel...MUnR-RztWwLJkc

Comment

• PLAINTIFF LAWYER: HUNGARY HAS NEVER BEEN BROUGHT TO JUSTICE

DC court says Holocaust survivors can sue Hungary in the US for huge reparations

Potential multi-billion dollar suit dates back to 2010. Appeals court rules that in pursuit of justice, case can be tried in States. Lawyers say decision could go to Supreme Court

https://www.timesofisrael.com/dc-cou...e-reparations/

Comment

• Selling Nazi art, the daughter of Hitler’s architect funds foundation for Jews

Hilde Schramm, the daughter of Albert Speer, raised money for Jewish projects in Germany

When Hilde Schramm inherited several paintings collected by her father, Hitler’s chief architect and Armaments Minister Albert Speer, she was only sure of one thing: she did not want them.
            Despite determining that they probably had not been looted from Jews during World War II, she wanted their legacy to somehow benefit others. So she huddled with friends around a rickety green table at her home office in Berlin and came up with a plan to sell them and use the proceeds to support Jewish women’s creative projects in Germany.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/sellin...tion-for-jews/

Comment

• Originally posted by GB_FXST View Post
              DC court says Holocaust survivors can sue Hungary in the US for huge reparations
              Can they? When did Hungary become the 51st state of the union? American courts have no legal authority over Hungary, and vice versa.

Comment

• Originally posted by muck View Post

Can they? When did Hungary become the 51st state of the union? American courts have no legal authority over Hungary, and vice versa.
                I think we have had this debate before.

Anyhow, any US based assets owned by the defendants are at risk.

Ahead of Holocaust Remembrance Day, Israel home to some 200,000 survivors

Some one-third fled to the Jewish state from Nazi-allied parts of the Muslim world; population will shrink to just 53,000 by 2030

https://www.timesofisrael.com/ahead-...000-survivors/

Comment

• Nazi blueprint for North American Holocaust acquired by Canada archive

German researcher’s 1944 book, once owned by Adolf Hitler, lists Jewish residents of US and Canada

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...tional-archive

Comment

• Rivlin opens Paris exhibition honoring diplomats who saved Jews in Holocaust

Ahead of Sunday’s International Holocaust Remembrance Day, museum displays stories of 200,000 people rescued through diplomatic efforts in WWII

https://www.timesofisrael.com/rivlin...-in-holocaust/

Comment

• Cross posted:

One in 20 British adults doesn’t believe Holocaust happened, poll finds

In UK survey to mark Holocaust Remembrance Day, 12% of respondents maintain the scale of the genocide is inflated; Holocaust Memorial Day Trust laments ‘shocking’ results

In a statement to The Guardian, Marks-Woldman clarified that, “I must stress that I don’t think [the poll respondents] are active Holocaust deniers — people who deliberately propagate and disseminate vile distortions. But their ignorance means they are susceptible to myths and distortions.”

The findings appear to echo two major polls last year which found that European Jews are feeling an increase in anti-Semitism and that there is widespread ignorance regarding the Holocaust on the continent.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/one-in...ed-poll-finds/

Comment

• 15 Slovaks have been awarded the title of "Righteous among nations"

For saving the lives of the Jews during World War II, Israel has awarded the state honour of the Righteous Among the Nations to 15 Slovaks this year."Each of the awardees showed huge courage despite a big danger," said Israeli Ambassador to Slovakia Zvi Aviner Vapni, as quoted by the TASR newswire.

The award is important not only to commemorate people but also to protect the values of freedom, democracy, decency, humanity, and tolerance, said President Andrej Kiska, as reported by TASR.
                        I was thinking the other day on how soon the live memories of the camp survivors will dissapear..but this also applies to those who have helped (more often than not already represented by their children)...their memories on why they thought they needed to do something will vanish as well.

And we will be left with the opinions of those such a rapper dude from Slovakia who claims that thanks to the internet, a lot of opinions propagated by the traditional media can be debunked because anyone can write a story and share it.

In a country where a a nazi party (not extreme right...really nazi) has 10% support of the electorate, where the extreme right labelled the chief a parliaments apology at the Knesset as an act of treason, I remember why I chose this country by reading these testimonies and keeping in mind the hidden greatness of regular people.

https://spectator.sme.sk/c/22030835/...e-nations.html

9 stories detailed. I found this one very moving:

Poor people with big hearts

https://spectator.sme.sk/c/22030771/...?ref=av-center

Karolína gave her life to save the innocent

https://spectator.sme.sk/c/22030763/...?ref=av-center

Comment

• P.I.-turned Nazi hunter blames passive Jewish leaders for the 99.9% who got away

Decades on, private investigator Steven Rambam continues to pursue the 20th century’s most brazen murderers, even as governments turn a blind eye to the evidence he collects

Rambam believes significant blame for the lack of prosecution falls on the Jewish establishment who failed their moral responsibility. He said the Jewish leadership was beyond livid with him at exposing their passivity with these embarrassing revelations.

“There’s no reason why these Nazis couldn’t have been found and pursued. I proved that,” he claimed.

The Royal Canadian Mounted Police war crimes unit, according to Rambam, shrugged at the evidence. If the Jews didn’t want justice hard enough all these years, why should anyone else, he took it to mean.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/p-i-tu...-who-got-away/

Comment

• Watched Schindler's List today. Always an overwhelming experience. Having said that, 'Conspiracy' about Wannsee Conference is also very recommendable. Though it is somewhat of a chamber drama without visual horror, it's impacted me even more. There's a scene in that movie that's stayed with me since I'd first watched it. One Nazi functionary suggests "only" sterilizing Europe's Jews to let them die out. Met with the scorn of his fellow Nazis, who take him for a softie, he makes the excuse he merely intends to keep the costs down. It's such a staggering display of a complete lack of humanity…

Comment

• I have read a great deal about the Holocaust. Many years ago when I was young, I read about it and am glad I did. As an older man with much greater human understanding and experience, I find such reading damn near impossible. I literally get ill in my physical being and have to stop. Such abject cruelty to innocent people is beyond my capacity to take in any more. That is not to say I do not understand it. As a person as interested in human history as I am, I fully get where such human monstrosity comes from. After all, the Bible is filled with it and more.

But, I once believed, human beings of the 20th century were well past all that barbaric nonsense. The Geneva Conventions had been well established in most people's minds. Yet, here we observed, at the same time, two highly advanced nations on this planet engage in genocidal hysteria worse than any barbarian king of the Dark Ages era. I say worse because they used scientific processes to accomplish their insane cruelty rather than merely letting their soldiery loose to commit it at will. They used organized human genius to accomplish their mass murders. By rights and history, once such barbarians had been conquered their entire race should have been exterminated or driven into such oblivion as to never rise again. But, proof that human intelligence and enlightenment is alive and well is in the fact that their conquerors allowed their nations and cultures to survive essentially unmolested. That act, in itself, makes their act of barbarism even worse! It exposes the fact that they had every opportunity and ability to be as civilized.

I call such events as the Nazis and the Japanese militarists of the middle 20th Century "The Beast". It is a thing that lives inside every human being- including yourself. It is a monster of unlimited capability. The only thing that keeps its ugly head from appearing from time to time in human affairs is our own humanity and ability to empathize with our fellow humans.

But, when whole masses of human being are led to perceive their enemy or competitors are less than human, it becomes easy for us to release the Beast within us. And it is being released as we speak. When the beast reaches a critical mass, as has been pointed out here in this thread by others, it goes on its rampage. In these contemporary times, we can see the beast's head emerging in Iran and the Philippines. In Malaysia and North Korea. We see it even in Washington DC and the rest of the US as Democrats and the leftist media are frothing hatred toward their own fellow citizens who support the nation's President.

The sign of the rising Beast is when people start calling other people by names that are inhuman...Rats, NeoCons, Misogynists, Baby-killers, racists- It does not matter that they are also fathers and mothers and sons and daughters. Teachers and employers and nurses and engineers. When people start defining other people as less than human, it becomes easier to kill them. That's how hatred works. And as history has taught us, we are human only as long as we behave like humans toward others. When we are lured to the side of the Beast, we can very easily devolve into the worst sort of monster the planet has ever seen.
                              Last edited by Mastermind; 28-01-2019, 05:57 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mastermind View Post
                                I have read a great deal about the Holocaust. Many years ago when I was young, I read about it and am glad I did. As an older man with much greater human understanding and experience, I find such reading damn near impossible. I literally get ill in my physical being and have to stop. Such abject cruelty to innocent people is beyond my capacity to take in any more. That is not to say I do not understand it. As a person as interested in human history as I am, I fully get where such human monstrosity comes from. After all, the Bible is filled with it and more.

But, I once believed, human beings of the 20th century were well past all that barbaric nonsense. The Geneva Conventions had been well established in most people's minds. Yet, here we observed, at the same time, two highly advanced nations on this planet engage in genocidal hysteria worse than any barbarian king of the Dark Ages era. I say worse because they used scientific processes to accomplish their insane cruelty rather than merely letting their soldiery loose to commit it at will. They used organized human genius to accomplish their mass murders. By rights and history, once such barbarians had been conquered their entire race should have been exterminated or driven into such oblivion as to never rise again. But, proof that human intelligence and enlightenment is alive and well is in the fact that their conquerors allowed their nations and cultures to survive essentially unmolested. That act, in itself, makes their act of barbarism even worse! It exposes the fact that they had every opportunity and ability to be as civilized.

I call such events as the Nazis and the Japanese militarists of the middle 20th Century "The Beast". It is a thing that lives inside every human being- including yourself. It is a monster of unlimited capability. The only thing that keeps its ugly head from appearing from time to time in human affairs is our own humanity and ability to empathize with our fellow humans.

But, when whole masses of human being are led to perceive their enemy or competitors are less than human, it becomes easy for us to release the Beast within us. And it is being released as we speak. When the beast reaches a critical mass, as has been pointed out here in this thread by others, it goes on its rampage. In these contemporary times, we can see the beast's head emerging in Iran and the Philippines. In Malaysia and North Korea. We see it even in Washington DC and the rest of the US as Democrats and the leftist media are frothing hatred toward their own fellow citizens who support the nation's President.

The sign of the rising Beast is when people start calling other people by names that are inhuman...Rats, NeoCons, Misogynists, Baby-killers, racists- It does not matter that they are also fathers and mothers and sons and daughters. Teache3rs and employers and nurses and engineers. When people start defining other people as less than human, it becomes easier to kill them. That's how hatred works. And as history has taught us, we are human only as long as we behave like humans toward others. When we are lured to the side of the Beast, we can very easily devolve into the worst sort of monster the planet has ever seen.
                                QFT

Well said.

BTW, as an adult and parent, I too find myself emotionally overwhelmed, especially as it relates to children.

Comment

Working...
                                X