Shoah: Articles and previously unknown facts

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canada court clears way for deportation of Nazi war crimes suspect

Helmut Oberlander, who has been stripped of his citizenship, claims he was forced to join Einsatzkommando mobile killing squad because he could speak Russian and German

https://www.timesofisrael.com/canada...rimes-suspect/

Comment

• This boxer survived the Holocaust by winning fights in Auschwitz

Salamo Arouch literally fought for survival during World War II. But he wasn't a soldier, he was a boxer of Jewish-Greek descent. That means the All-Balkans Middleweight Champ ended up in Auschwitz when the Nazis rolled into his home city of Thessalonica, Greece, in 1943.

That's where he started fighting for his life.

https://www.wearethemighty.com/histo...-salamo-arouch

Comment

• The long-lost Holocaust diary of a Polish Jewish teen is bittersweet

You might imagine that life for a Jewish teenager in Poland during World War II, under Soviet Communist and Nazi German rule, would be gloomy. And you’d be right, mostly.

But the long-hidden holocaust diary of Renia Springer—to be published in English by St. Martin’s Press in 2019, and excerpted by the Smithsonian—reveals that, even as the world burns around her, a teenage girl remains concerned with boys and school and muses about whether it’s better to be famous or happy.

https://qz.com/1457821/the-lost-holo...s-bittersweet/

Comment

• @GB_FXST

Have you had any experience dealing with Germany about reparations? I have heard that the German government likes to claim that they have so few records that make it hard for families to receive claims. If records are so scarce, why are there so many photographs?

Comment

• Originally posted by J.Noah ה View Post
            @GB_FXST

Have you had any experience dealing with Germany about reparations? I have heard that the German government likes to claim that they have so few records that make it hard for families to receive claims. If records are so scarce, why are there so many photographs?
            Not me, personally. But, generally speaking yes.

My father's side of the family were all German citizens. He was the first born outside of Germany in literally hundreds of years of family history.

Anyhow, paternal surviving family members did receive reparations and social security payments.

The family was able to document both significant loss of property (hence reparations) and had paid into the social security system.

However, my mother's side were not German citizens, and to my knowledge, maternal side survivors never received any reparations.

Comment

• US JEWS WERE TOLD: 'NO PARADES, DEMONSTRATIONS, OR PROTESTS'

How to explain the ‘timid’ reaction of American Jewish leaders to Kristallnacht?

Amid the worst pogrom to take place in Germany since the Middle Ages, most US Jewish communal leaders told their constituents to keep quiet

https://www.timesofisrael.com/how-to...kristallnacht/

Comment

• Originally posted by GB_FXST View Post

Not me, personally. But, generally speaking yes.

My father's side of the family were all German citizens. He was the first born outside of Germany in literally hundreds of years of family history.

Anyhow, paternal surviving family members did receive reparations and social security payments.

The family was able to document both significant loss of property (hence reparations) and had paid into the social security system.

However, my mother's side were not German citizens, and to my knowledge, maternal side survivors never received any reparations.
                Ah. Property. That would make sense. Is it a one time lump sump?

Comment

• Originally posted by J.Noah ה View Post

Ah. Property. That would make sense. Is it a one time lump sump?
                  No, not lump sum, but a monthly check.

But, this was a lifetime payout only, and ceased upon the death of the last survivor.

Comment

• Originally posted by GB_FXST View Post
                    The long-lost Holocaust diary of a Polish Jewish teen is bittersweet

You might imagine that life for a Jewish teenager in Poland during World War II, under Soviet Communist and Nazi German rule, would be gloomy. And you’d be right, mostly.

But the long-hidden holocaust diary of Renia Springer—to be published in English by St. Martin’s Press in 2019, and excerpted by the Smithsonian—reveals that, even as the world burns around her, a teenage girl remains concerned with boys and school and muses about whether it’s better to be famous or happy.

https://qz.com/1457821/the-lost-holo...s-bittersweet/
                    It pains an anti communist like me to say it, but it was better for a Jew to be under Soviet rather than German occupation...and it was´nt even close. War conditions, rationing, limitations on pesonal freedom...but they were´nt rounding up Jews like on the other side of the line.

Comment

Working...
                    X