• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bundeswehr / German Armed Forces General Discussion Thread

Ok , let's get this show on the road.

This article about Germans training Peshmerga was posted a while ago

https://medium.com/war-is-boring/we-...s-71bd8cc92164

but I just came across this footage from a Peshmerga News Crew showing some of that training , unfortunately it's in their local tongue.

http://rudaw.net/Embed.aspx?ID=56038
    Last edited by Bleifuss; 17-04-2015, 02:18 AM.

Well.... let's start where we left off..... the Bundeswehr spending money on stuff that does not work.

As has been in the news recently, Germany wants to develop an armed drone together with some other European countries.

But the defense ministry also wants to reactivate the EuroHawk prototype that was grounded in 2013 in order to use it as a testbed for sensors etc.

Now they first have to spend €2.6m, just in order to check if that thing is still able to fly.

Source: http://www.fnp.de/nachrichten/politi...t46559,1365582 [German]

Comment

A new start..

The bureaucrats of the Bundeswehr officially declared the new IFV PUMA safe for service and now the training for the new crews is about to get underway.
      So far 7 PUMAs are in use atm.

bundeswehr.de (German)

Comment

Just in from Spiegel ... Headline: Von der Leyen sees no future for the G-36

http://www.spiegel.de/politik/deutsc...a-1029978.html

Seems we need about 180.000 new rifles ...

Comment

Replacing all those probably will take up to 10 years as the article states... so it will still be a round for a while.

Any guesses what the soldiers will use that are active in various missions? Back to the G3 for the time being?

Comment

Originally posted by tluassa View Post
            Just in from Spiegel ... Headline: Von der Leyen sees no future for the G-36

http://www.spiegel.de/politik/deutsc...a-1029978.html

Seems we need about 180.000 new rifles ...
            Don't really understand the whole situation. Until now, there is no big issues reported about the G36. The Spaniard Army use them in hot conditions a lot. Yet they won't plan to discard this assault rifle.

Or the real thing is simply the Bundeswher want a new assault rifle, and needed a good reason, why they want to replace the G36's?

Comment

Ten years seems a bit excessive to me... I mean, I can see the competition taking a few years (even if it's urgent), but producing 180 000 rifles shouldn't take too long for large weapons manufacturers like HK and FN?

Comment

I can see them first taking 2-3 years just to make the decision to order new rifles and what the rough specifications should be.
                Then 1-2 years for the competition, another 1-2 years of testing and evaluating and then the time to produce the rifles.

Comment

Originally posted by Cifu View Post

Don't really understand the whole situation. Until now, there is no big issues reported about the G36. The Spaniard Army use them in hot conditions a lot. Yet they won't plan to discard this assault rifle.

Or the real thing is simply the Bundeswher want a new assault rifle, and needed a good reason, why they want to replace the G36's?
                  The problem is that the ministry isn't looking for a new assault rifle but rather a light machine gun. The "problem" they identified is that the gun overheats if you fire 60+ rounds in one go. That leads to a reduced accuracy. Naturally that happens to every other legacy assault rifle as they simply aren't constructed for prolonged rapid fire.

Simply put the ministry is now looking for a assault rifle that can be used as a light machine gun.

Comment

Originally posted by Herman the II View Post
                    The problem is that the ministry isn't looking for a new assault rifle but rather a light machine gun. The "problem" they identified is that the gun overheats if you fire 60+ rounds in one go. That leads to a reduced accuracy. Naturally that happens to every other legacy assault rifle as they simply aren't constructed for prolonged rapid fire.

Simply put the ministry is now looking for a assault rifle that can be used as a light machine gun.
                    Well... Okay...

So the Bundeswehr (theoretically) going get an M27 IAR like weapon?

Comment

They should've taken the G11. Mark my words!
                      I think this is just the start to an even bigger affair. H&K is getting effed over big time.
                      This rifle is in use by so many countries where it's not particularly "chilly" and it has been used in combat and/or operations for over 15 years and all of a sudden it's not working properly (when used improperly)?

Comment

I think most if not all criticism of the G-36 can be traced back to that fateful battle where the Fallschirmjäger were ambushed and left alone without much support for a day beeing attacked from all sides.

Battles with Afghan Insurgents might very well have not been a priority when the rifle was ordered in 1995/96 ...

That beeing said, a drop of 50% accuracy after 2 mags seems a little messy. Question: Is this confirmed or are the sources contradictory - I can't decide but personally never had problems hitting anything with the Fischer Price Gewehr - but I also never fired like 3 mags full auto.

Comment

Originally posted by power-hansen View Post
                          They should've taken the G11. Mark my words!
                          I think this is just the start to an even bigger affair. H&K is getting effed over big time.
                          This rifle is in use by so many countries where it's not particularly "chilly" and it has been used in combat and/or operations for over 15 years and all of a sudden it's not working properly (when used improperly)?
                          Not sure anyone except the Bundeswehr has ever used the baseline G36 version in sustained combat.
                          Latvians and some others used the K version in AStan but that probably doesn't share the problems of the basic model.

Also:
                          http://www.der-postillon.com/2015/04...-versucht.html

Comment

Originally posted by tluassa View Post
                            Battles with Afghan Insurgents might very well have not been a priority when the rifle was ordered in 1995/96 ...
                            This. The rifle does exactly what it is supposed to do and what it was ordered for. The German government pretty much kills H&K as a business these days only to deflect attention from their own oversights.

Comment

So, afeter reading the news today, it seems the concept of an assault rifle is officially dead in the Bw?!

New standard issue should be a lmg, Mg36 or a special hk 416 bw as light mg

Comment

Working...
                              X