No announcement yet.

Ukraine Discussion Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A monument commemorating the victims of the Huta Pieniacka massacre has been destroyed in Ukraine.

More about the massacre carried out by UPA on Polish civilians:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huta_Pieniacka_massacre

Originally posted by moosefoot View Post
    Friendly democracy champions with European values blew up a Holocaust memorial in Lvov:
    http://korrespondent.net/city/lvov/3...e-peniatskoi#6
    "The Holocaust" is a phrase related to Jews. No Jews were massacred in Huta Pieniacka:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Holocaust
    Last edited by Musashi; 10-01-2017, 10:33 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Musashi View Post
      "The Holocaust" is a phrase related to Jews. No Jews were massacred in Huta Pieniacka:
      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Holocaust
      I know what the Holocaust signifies, I just didn't read carefully enough to spot that this memorial was specifically dedicated to Poles massacred by these guys (who also massacred Jews here and there).

That's all, appreciate the correction.

Still, abhorrent.

Comment

• LOL

Thailand Terminates Ukrainian Tanks Contract, to Buy From China Instead
        http://www.defenseworld.net/news/181...a#.WHUzA_krKUk

Comment

• Originally posted by Jonathan View Post
          LOL
          ​Can not agree with your 'LOL". It is a real disaster for any state to shoot its own leg. Ukraine was once tightly integrated with Russia with its industry. After sharp separation a lot of technologies and components have been missed.

Comment

• Originally posted by vs1863 View Post
            ​Can not agree with your 'LOL". It is a real disaster for any state to shoot its own leg. Ukraine was once tightly integrated with Russia with its industry. After sharp separation a lot of technologies and components have been missed.
            I seriously lol'd when I read that Thailand cancelled their contract. I'm sorry, but I do find the humor in the fact that the entire country has descended into a complete shithole in such a short period of time, all because of the "revolution of dignity" the west was backing as some kind of a good thing. How did anyone in their right mind not see this coming?

They've basically managed to fuck up the entire country in just a few short years. Antonov, once one of the most promising companies in Ukraine - done. Military export capabilities - screwed. Financial sector - screwed. National debt - skyrocketed. Talks of "reforms" are now recognized by everyone as complete bullshit with most of the "reformers" flat out quitting. Ukraine is very clearly going to lose their lucrative gas transport fees as well. Has anything or any industry actually not become a freaking disaster in this country since the revolution at this point? The agricultural sector at least?

I do feel for the people, but it's just surreal to see that everything appears to have turned into shit and it was entirely predictable.
            Last edited by Jonathan; 10-01-2017, 12:07 PM.

Comment

Fackelzug in Kiew 1/01/2017: "Juden - get' "(Jews - go away):

Any background to this video?

Comment

I seriously lol'd when I read that Thailand cancelled their contract. I'm sorry, but I do find the humor in the fact that the entire country has descended into a complete shithole in such a short period of time, all because of the "revolution of dignity" the west was backing as some kind of a good thing. How did anyone in their right mind not see this coming?

They've basically managed to fuck up the entire country in just a few short years. Antonov, once one of the most promising companies in Ukraine - done. Military export capabilities - screwed. Financial sector - screwed. National debt - skyrocketed. Talks of "reforms" are now recognized by everyone as complete bullshit with most of the "reformers" flat out quitting. Ukraine is very clearly going to lose their lucrative gas transport fees as well. Has anything or any industry actually not become a freaking disaster in this country since the revolution at this point?

I do feel for the people, but it's just surreal to see that everything appears to have turned into complete shit.
                Well, I keep hearing that some Western IT companies have started to outsource systems developing to cheap programmers in Ukraine. I guess that's something. Obviously that only generates a fraction of what the big industries once did.

Come think about it, a less than flattering comparison would be similar outsourcing of IT things to the Phillies or India or whatever.

Comment

They've basically managed to fuck up the entire country in just a few short years. Antonov, once one of the most promising companies in Ukraine - done. Military export capabilities - screwed. Financial sector - screwed. National debt - skyrocketed. Talks of "reforms" are now recognized by everyone as complete bullshit. Has anything or any industry actually not become a freaking disaster in this country since the revolution at this point? Agriculture sector at least?
                  ​As the US ambassador Payett promoted Ukraine as "agrarian superpower" it is clear that tank production is sentenced, like any other industry. The problem is that Ukraine is not ready to become 'agrarian superpower' as it is not able to deliver harvested grain to its export ports.
                  ​I hope that with liberalization of land privatization and foreign investments this problem will be remediated.

Comment

​As the US ambassador Payett promoted Ukraine as "agrarian superpower" it is clear that tank production is sentenced, like any other industry. The problem is that Ukraine is not ready to become 'agrarian superpower' as it is not able to deliver harvested grain to its export ports.
                    ​I hope that with liberalization of land privatization and foreign investments this problem will be remediated.
                    Privatization is a great buzzword, but it doesn't help when corruption rules the day. With a system where the top levels of government are corrupt, privatization will result in exactly the same thing that Russia's 90's did - a creation of new oligarchs from politically connected individuals and the enrichment of the existing oligarch class.

Poroshenko is no Saakashvili (not that I'm a fan of the latter, either). He seems to have zero personal interest in changing the status quo. Hell, he continues getting richer during the status quo, so why would he change it?

Comment

• Originally posted by beNder View Post
                      Any background to this video?
                      Is it sufficient for you?

​PS. 1st of January is a birthday of S.Bandera, a guy responsible for ethnic cleansing in Ukraine.
                      Last edited by vs1863; 10-01-2017, 12:26 PM.

Comment

Poroshenko is no Saakashvili (not that I'm a fan of the latter, either). He seems to have zero personal interest in changing the status quo. Hell, he continues getting richer during the status quo, so why would he change it?
                        ​No doubt. The winner takes it all. But a lot of oligarchs are not happy with that. + no instructions from the State Dept. Everything could change in a moment.

Comment

Has anything or any industry actually not become a freaking disaster in this country since the revolution at this point? The agricultural sector at least?
                          Agrobusiness and some other industries.
                          The European deal has not, however, been uniformly negative for Ukraine. Many businesses have benefited.

The western edge of the country, near the Polish, Hungarian and Romanian borders, has drawn investment. European and Asian auto-parts suppliers have opened or announced plans to establish small factories to export products to Europe. Niches like a ski-manufacturing industry have done well.

And even Ukraine’s farmers have reaped some rewards, albeit indirectly. By signing on to the pact, Ukraine has agreed to meet European Union standards for food quality. That has eased the way for exports to other markets, such as China.

Comment

• Brazilian investigator says Ukraine is trying to recruit various neo-Nazis there to fight in the Donbass:
                            https://www.ft.com/content/f9ee01ca-...f-20dcb35cede2

Article is behind a wall now for some reason, at least for me, but I could read it moments ago. Oh well.

Comment

• Originally posted by moosefoot View Post
                              Brazilian investigator says Ukraine is trying to recruit various neo-Nazis there to fight in the Donbass:
                              https://www.ft.com/content/f9ee01ca-...f-20dcb35cede2

Article is behind a wall now for some reason, at least for me, but I could read it moments ago. Oh well.
                              Access the article via Google, citizen.

Comment

• 2016 in review: Ukraine's main economic results
                                - 2016 would be remembered by the growth of utility tariffs, devaluation of hryvnia, and the collapse of banks. Ukraine is conducting economic policy of survival
                                "Public Audit" head Maksym Goldarb notes that Ukrainians have witnessed a real show with the IMF loans. The politicians tried to create the impression that without this loan the country's economy will not survive.

"Debt bondage and Ukraine's regular cooperation with the IMF resulted in hryvnia devaluation. In fact, the IMF tranches were not directed at supporting vital reforms of our country. As soon as we receive the money, it immediately goes to foreign exchange reserves," underlined the expert.
                                In order to bring the economy out of the stupor, Ukraine needs more than 100 billion euros.

"I want to note that after the Maidan reserves were estimated at about 15-17 billion dollars. It is the same 15 billion dollars today, but this money are almost entirely borrowed," concluded the expert. He stressed that in 2013, Ukraine took the time out on the IMF loans. And then the situation in the monetary market has relatively stabilized. Today, Ukraine’s debt to IMF is more than 11 billion dollars. In 2017, it would make first payment in the amount of $ 1 billion, in 2018 - $ 2 billion.
                                Experts agree that Ukraine cannot supply the sustainable development with its own resources only. We are losing our positions at the markets of CIS countries. Cooperation with Europe is possible, but not on favorable terms for us.

"We are becoming a raw materials appendage to Europe. We are exporting timber, grain, and agricultural products in general, but the Ukrainians are not getting richer. There are no conditions for the development of high-tech production in Ukraine. After all, Ukrainian operating force is now cheaper than in China, our experts continue to migrate abroad, we remain a source of cheap labor for the developed countries," says Yuri Lisnychyi.

Comment

Working...
                                X