X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Present Conflict in Iraq against ISIS

Islamic State uses drones to coordinate fighting in Baiji

http://www.longwarjournal.org/archiv...g-in-baiji.php

As much as they hate us, and would love to live in the 8th century they love of our TTPs and weapons.
    Coalition warplanes help stem ISIS' advance in Ramadi, official says

http://www.cnn.com/2015/04/16/middleeast/iraq-isis/gi

Honestly believe this is for domestic conversation even though I find no one is really following it inside the U.S., outside Vets or this site/ MP.net (RIP).

We have done as I have heard around over 1,100 airstrikes, they have helped in some manner but Abadi in all honesty has more use and weight towards Iran.

I personally would like to keep some weight of influence in Iraq, I care about Iraq (truly) but I also care about what we sacrificed there.

It upsets me that the instability we created and the insecurity present allowed Iran or forces within Iran to target and kill U.S forces. Some of those killed by Iranian weapons killed those personal to me, but it would be illogical to focus on them in light of the larger crimes committed of Sunnis parties.

Nineveh Province was largely Sunni, the attacks that took place there when I was there reflect that.

Can't wait for Shey and Kurdman to show up, welcome TBs input.

I had no idea that ISIS was using drones for planning and control surveillance, seems like there should be a way to put an end to that...either by hitting their CC center, or destroying the drones. Anyway, thanks for the info, this is good info glad to have.

Comment

Originally posted by commanding View Post
      I had no idea that ISIS was using drones for planning and control surveillance, seems like there should be a way to put an end to that...either by hitting their CC center, or destroying the drones. Anyway, thanks for the info, this is good info glad to have.
      Unfortunately most of the equipment ISIS is using can be bought by anyone with a credit card and packed up into a single vehicle. If you destroy one of their little operations rooms, they can just order another quadrocopter, GoPro and laptop off the internet.
      http://www.dji.com/product/phantom

What disappoints me is that groups like the Peshmerga haven't even been supplied with these little drones yet. They're only a couple hundred to a few thousand dollars.

Comment

@ Gresh - total guess but could the supplies chain the Pesh and the likes are on the end of means some sort of military grade drones and hence more sophisticated and expensive.
        The sort of chain that has red tape and inflexibility wrote all over it.
        Injecting consumer grade patch up solutions is something some of the tip of the spear groups like CIA and associated hangers-on people could do?
        Kinda bad to say we can't supply what ISIS has because our admin staff haven't got the right approved supplier and billing codes for the kit or some other random reason.

OTOH I don't know what kind of patched up jammer could be supplied to Pesh to counter a consumer grade drone with no hardened comms.

Comment

US: Iraq troops clear ISIL fighters from country's largest oil refinery

http://america.aljazeera.com/article...from-ISIL.html

Comment

U.S. Weighs Training Iraqis to Call in American Airstrikes in ISIS Fight

WASHINGTON — A senior Obama administration official said Thursday that the United States was looking for ways to speed up United States bombing attacks on Islamic State militants, including a plan to train Iraqi troops to spot targets for American airstrikes.

Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi of
            Iraq complained during his visit to Washington last week that it had been taking too long for the United States to carry out airstrikes on behalf of Iraqi forces. But a major constraint to shortening the time to conduct such strikes is that the White House has not authorized troops to accompany Iraqi forces on the battlefield and call in American and allied bombing attacks.

I am kind of on the fence about this.

While I support the airstrikes to help out the Iraqi Forces, If we handover tactical air control that could seriously backfire on us especially as the fight becomes more urbanized.

Iraqi SF may potentially be calling the strikes in, but if there are civilian casualties everyone will always remember they are American bombs.

Comment

Hi All. IT would be great if our troops can call in accurate strikes with the F16 that will be delivered June/July. Not sure if we will have that capability though.

Comment

Originally posted by Khukuri View Post
                Hi All. IT would be great if our troops can call in accurate strikes with the F16 that will be delivered June/July. Not sure if we will have that capability though.
                Last I heard only two Iraqi pilots had qualified so far.

I was a little fuzzy on the details if they only qualified as F16 pilots, or as trainers for other Iraqi pilots.

Nonetheless I see your point, Iraqi troops need to learn how to call in these type of strikes themselves even for the own pilots let alone ours. I am all in for the training, the implications though of using Iraqi Troops on the ground to spot American munitions has too many political ramifications at this point for me to be comfortable with the idea.

BTW, welcome to TheMess Khukuri!

I could use some backup in this thread, hope Shey, TB and Kurdman make their way over soon.

Comment

The Islamic State seized control of a dam and overran a military barracks in the Thar Thar area in western Iraq over the past several days. Over 120 Iraqi soldiers and a senior general were killed during the Islamic State offensive.

http://www.longwarjournal.org/archiv...stern-iraq.php

Comment

Originally posted by Sloppy Joe2 View Post

BTW, welcome to TheMess Khukuri!

I could use some backup in this thread, hope Shey, TB and Kurdman make their way over soon.
                    Thanks mate! Good to see you here and thanks for starting the thread, hope the others hurry over here soon!

Comment

Do you believe the bill to directly arm Kurdistan and Sunni tribes will be approved in the house of representatives?

Comment

Hey guys, is this map correct? It's on Wikipedia about the Iraqi insurgency.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iraqi_i...2%80%93present)

Comment

Originally posted by FulcrumKAF View Post
                          Do you believe the bill to directly arm Kurdistan and Sunni tribes will be approved in the house of representatives?
                          Possibly.
                          Even Turkey is allegedly willing to accept an Independent Kurdish state in northern Iraq now.
                          http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/turkey-read...n-iraq-1454556

Comment

Originally posted by Hildemel View Post

Possibly.
                            Even Turkey is allegedly willing to accept an Independent Kurdish state in northern Iraq now.
                            http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/turkey-read...n-iraq-1454556
                            That was part of a political game by Turkey in 2014 to increase it's influence in Kurdistan. They later withdrew that support. I did make a analysis of the 2014 bid for Independence by KRG. I could post it here, if you want.
                            Regarding the bill, I just read that UN is against US arming "non-state" actors.

Comment

Iraqi forces plead for help as Islamic State closes in on refinery
                              http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/...Name=worldNews
                              Iraqi forces besieged inside the country's largest oil refinery are running low on food and pleading for reinforcements to save them from Islamic State militants who have advanced deep into the compound in the past week.
                              The insurgents now hold large sections of the sprawling Baiji refinery complex in northern Iraq where some 200 policemen, soldiers and elite special forces are holding out.
                              “We are surrounded by Daesh from all sides," said a policeman called Mohanad, speaking via telephone from the refinery where his unit has taken up defensive positions in a guest house on the eastern side of the complex. Daesh is the Arabic acronym for the Islamic State group, also known as ISIS or ISIL in English.
                              "We can hear Daesh fighters shouting and threatening to behead anyone they catch. We are running short of ammunition, food and drinking water. We eat only one meal a day. We tear our uniforms to bandage other soldiers' and policemen's wounds.”
                              Mohanad, who is from Baghdad, said he had set aside one bullet to end his own life in case they were overcome by the militants: "It’s an easier way to die than being beheaded".
                              Baiji refinery has been one of the most fiercely contested spots in Iraq since Islamic State militants tore through the north last summer and proclaimed a caliphate.
                              IMO, Air Force should ignore fate of that refinery and so whatever is needed to save those troops. For Iraq, replacing a few million $ hardware is easier, than replacing competent troops.

Comment

Working...
                              X