Latvian Armed Forces

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Polaris vehicles for Latvia

The Latvian armed forces is to acquire vehicles from Polaris under a foreign military sale with the US government, the company announced on 24 January.
    The contract covers delivery of undisclosed numbers of MRZR 2 side-by-side vehicles, Sportsman 6x6 and MV850 all-terrain vehicles.
    https://www.shephardmedia.com/news/s...hicles-latvia/

Comment

• 2 updates:

Originally posted by Miller2 View Post
      [*]There are indications that long awaited agreements about the mid-range air defense (NASAMS) and ATGM (SPIKE) systems will be signed this year.
      Latvia to buy anti-tank missiles for 108 million €
      Defense Minister Raimonds Bergmanis and EuroSpike executives Gunter Lauer and Arie Lapidot will sign an agreement at the Defense Ministry next Monday on the purchase of Israeli-made Spike anti-tank missile systems for 108 million €, LETA was told at the Defense Ministry.
      http://www.leta.lv/eng/defence_matte...-F1E406FE0241/

[*]12 companies have submitted their offers for planned armed 4x4 vehicle procurement, about which I've written earlier;
      6 companies/joint ventures have been down-selected for the next stage of assessment (on-road & off-road testing):
      1. Paramount Group (RSA)
      2. Israel Aerospace Industries Ltd. (Israel) & AS UPB (Latvia)
      3. Otokar (Turkey)
      4. Oy Sisu Auto (Finland)
      5. AM General (USA)
      6. Oshkosh Defence (USA)
      https://www.diena.lv/raksts/latvija/...entus-14190763 (In Latvian)

Comment

• http://www.leonardocompany.com/en/-/...e-border-guard

Latvia orders additional helicopters for State Border Guard
        • Two AW119Kx helicopters will join two AW109 Powers in 2019 to perform SAR, transport, firefighting and disaster relief missions
        • Contract also includes an option for an additional unit and aircrew/maintenance technician training services
        Leonardo is pleased to announce that the State Border Guard of Latvia has signed a contract for two AW119Kx single engine helicopters plus option for an additional unit, customised configuration and aircrew/maintenance technician training services. The aircraft will be delivered from the Company’s facility in Philadelphia in 2019 and will perform a wide range of missions including search and rescue (SAR), transport, firefighting and disaster relief; replacing two ageing AB206B JetRangers.

This order marks a further expansion of the State Border Guard’s fleet of Leonardo helicopters, adding to two AW109 Power light twins which have been successfully in service for the last ten years. The AW119Kx was chosen following a thorough assessment of competing types within the framework of the Ministry of the Interior’s helicopter fleet modernisation programme. The combination of AW109 Power and AW119Kx helicopters will boost the State Border Guard’s mission capabilities and versatility for round-the-clock day/night operations.

Comment

• Some recent news/updates:
          -- Update --
          The first one has already been delivered.

There are indications that long awaited agreements about the mid-range air defense (NASAMS) and ATGM (SPIKE) systems will be signed this year.
          -- Update --
          So it looks like the system could be delivered around 2021. Initially they had planned to procure it earlier, but the plans got postponed due to some unplanned expenditures. (In Latvian)

Accordingly to the MoD this year's procurement plan some VERA-NG passive radars should be acquired.

6 companies/joint ventures have been down-selected for the next stage of assessment (on-road & off-road testing):
          1. Paramount Group (RSA)
          3. Otokar (Turkey)
          5. AM General (USA)
          6. Oshkosh Defence (USA)
          Finnish entry for the tender - SISU GTP (some pictures of it):

Comment

• Training of Latvian JTAC personnel.

Comment

• Originally posted by Miller2 View Post
              1. Paramount Group (RSA)
              3. Otokar (Turkey)
              5. AM General (USA)
              6. Oshkosh Defence (USA)
              Only 4 companies have delivered their vehicles for on-road & off-road testing, which has already begun on May 14:
              1. Sisu Auto (Finland) - GTP
              2. Otokar (Turkey) - Cobra (have no idea whether they're talking about Cobra 1 or Cobra 2)
              3. AM General (US) - HMMWV
              4. Paramount Group (RSA) - Marauder LAV

Source (in Latvian):
              http://www.mod.gov.lv/lv/Aktualitate.../05/11-01.aspx

If I got it right, Oshkosh Defence (USA) with L-ATV opted out due to their struggle to deliver vehicles to their existing customers.

Comment

Only 4 companies have delivered their vehicles for on-road & off-road testing, which has already begun on May 14:
                1. Sisu Auto (Finland) - GTP
                2. Otokar (Turkey) - Cobra (have no idea whether they're talking about Cobra 1 or Cobra 2)
                3. AM General (US) - HMMWV
                4. Paramount Group (RSA) - Marauder LAV

Source (in Latvian):
                http://www.mod.gov.lv/lv/Aktualitate.../05/11-01.aspx

If I got it right, Oshkosh Defence (USA) with L-ATV opted out due to their struggle to deliver vehicles to their existing customers.

IMHO that is very unfortunate news. L-ATV (JLTV) offered optimal price/quality/protection. Now Latvian MoD will have to make their choice from EXPERIMENTAL, UNRELIABLE, OLD/ UNPROTECTED and EXOTIC. My condolence...

Comment

• Latvians training in UK.

Comment

• Originally posted by AurimasLT View Post

IMHO that is very unfortunate news. L-ATV (JLTV) offered optimal price/quality/protection. Now Latvian MoD will have to make their choice from EXPERIMENTAL, UNRELIABLE, OLD/ UNPROTECTED and EXOTIC. My condolence...
                    I'm surprised Sisu GTP and HMMWV is competing for the same contract. Isn't the Sisu twice the weight of an up-armored HMMWV?

Granted this is google translate but I think this sounds like two different segments:
                    "Vehicles are also needed to implement artillery, air defense and National Guard development projects. The vehicle must be able to provide personnel, freight transport, command or medical support, and must provide armor protection and weapons installation."

Using what is in essence a Sisu MRAP for air defense logistics and national guard duties sounds like overkill. And on the other hand using HMMWVs in high threat environments have proven to be a bad idea. The JLTV would probably have been a decent compromise but I still think it sounds like some cheap HMMWVs for the utility requirements described and for example the Sisu GTP for higher threat enviroments make more sense. I don't know, maybe I misunderstood the requirements.

Comment

• Originally posted by AugustaWestland View Post

I'm surprised Sisu GTP and HMMWV is competing for the same contract. Isn't the Sisu twice the weight of an up-armored HMMWV?
                      If I understand situation correctly only 4 above mentioned companies delivered vehicles for trials. Others didn't. Maybe it has to do with Latvian wish to assemble these vehicles locally. Probably that is too complicated requirement for such a small quantity.

As far as I understand they want unified 4x4 platform with variable armor kit.

Article in Russian on this matter. https://warspot.ru/11976-latviya-tes...-vnedorozhniki

BTW Lithuania is going to sign contract for ~200 L-ATV'S this year.

Comment

• That makes sense, I didn't catch that there was a requirement for local industrial participation in the assembly of the vehicles. The JLTV looks truly impressive and should be a strong candidate in the <6500 kg segment outlined in the technical requirements. I'm not familiar with Latvian acquisition processes but a lot of countries restart competitions with some relaxed demands if their "favorites" drop out. Will be interesting to see what happens.

Comment

• Originally posted by AurimasLT View Post
                          If I understand situation correctly only 4 above mentioned companies delivered vehicles for trials. Others didn't. Maybe it has to do with Latvian wish to assemble these vehicles locally. Probably that is too complicated requirement for such a small quantity.
                          Well yeah, only 4 of 6 of down-selected companies had delivered their vehicles for a testing. Seeing the list of down-selected offers really makes me think that the requirement for local industrial participation is still in place. On top of that, just recently they dumped their future plans for wheeled APCs/IFVs (in Latvian).

Originally posted by AurimasLT View Post
                          As far as I understand they want unified 4x4 platform with variable armor kit.
                          Yes, you got it right.

And here is a scan of Sisu GTP brochure, for interested:

Some recent news:
                          1. In coming months Stinger MANPADS should arrive;
                          2. The MoD has recently acquired 20 Mercedes-Benz Unimog ambulances (In Latvian).

Comment

• Some videos from Saber Strike 2018 exercise:

Comment

Some videos from Saber Strike 2018 exercise:
                              I was driving from Riga to Vilnius during Saber Strike, saw lots of military columns on the roads.

Comment

• Recent news:

Some more videos from Saber Strike 18:

Last edited by Miller2; 16-06-2018, 01:19 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X