Latvian Armed Forces

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Latvian Armed Forces

From April 6 till 16, the military exercise „Gungnir” took place in Ādaži Training Area (Latvia), during which the Baltic Battalion (BALTBAT) – joint Lithuanian-Latvian-Estonian unit – was trained for the NATO Response Force standby.

Images from exercise.

The 20th Baltic Region Training Event (BRTE 20) was held on 21 and 22 April 2015 bringing together flying assets, air command and control centres and Forward Air Controllers from NATO Allies Belgium, Germany, Spain, Italy, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Norway, Poland, the United States, Partners Finland and Sweden and a NATO Airborne Early Warning platform.

Some images from the exercise.

Bonus:
    Last edited by Miller2; 26-04-2015, 08:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Poweruser View Post
      From April 6 till 16, the military exercise „Gungnir” took place in Ādaži Training Area (Latvia), during which the Baltic Battalion (BALTBAT) – joint Lithuanian-Latvian-Estonian unit – was trained for the NATO Response Force standby.

Images from exercise.
      Here is EDF album:
      https://www.flickr.com/…/131885333@…/sets/72157651927264556/

Comment

Images from exercise.
        how many men are in the battalion? capabilities?

Comment

Originally posted by QuaPatetOrbis View Post
          how many men are in the battalion?
          Around 1000 men.
          Last edited by Miller2; 30-04-2015, 08:29 AM.

Comment

http://www.leta.lv/eng/home/importan...-64174E2585F4/

http://m.rus.delfi.lv/article.php?id=45884259

Latvia could buy "Stinger" missiles from the United States

RIGA, April 24 (LETA) - Continuing his visit to the United States, Defense Minister Raimonds Vejonis has met with several U.S. officials to discuss Latvia's opportunities of buying "Stinger" surface-to-air missiles from the United States, LETA learned from the Defense Ministry.

Comment

After watching several videos with Latvian army troops, I got an impression that they do not wear body armor. I'm seeing what looks like a clone of US Fighting Load Carrier (in LATPAT) with pouches, and that's about it. After some Googling, I found an article (http://www.nfm.no/corporate-news/lv-army-2015.html ) which said that a contract was just recently signed for delivery of body armor over next 3 years. Is that really the case that Latvian infantry has not been equipped with body armor until now?

Comment

Originally posted by Krater View Post
                After watching several videos with Latvian army troops, I got an impression that they do not wear body armor.
                You're right, they're not always wearing bulletproof vests during the training.

Is that really the case that Latvian infantry has not been equipped with body armor until now?
                For regulars it's definitely not the case. I'm more keen to think that they're changing old vests donated by Scandinavian nations for national guards (NG). Just as they recently changed part of their HK G3 to HK G36.
                The other possible case could be, that they're buying them for planned increase of armed forces.

Comment

For regulars it's definitely not the case. I'm more keen to think that they're changing old vests donated by Scandinavian nations for national guards (NG). Just as they recently changed part of their HK G3 to HK G36.
                  The other possible case could be, that they're buying them for planned increase of armed forces.
                  Do you mean to say that the new Norwegian vests will probably go to regular force, who will pass on the donated Scandinavian vests to NG? Or the new vests are going straight to NG?

Comment

Do you mean to say that the new Norwegian vests will probably go to regular force, who will pass on the donated Scandinavian vests to NG? Or the new vests are going straight to NG?
                    I don't know their exact plans, therefore I can only guess. From my point of view, I see 2 possible cases:
                    1. They're buying additional vests or changing the old ones (donated by Scandinavians) for national guards.
                    2. They're buying them for around 2000 additional recruits for regular forces about which talked our defence minister.

From non-classified part of procurement with NFM, it's possible to see that they're going to spend around 4 million € (without VAT) on BEAR 2 load carrier kits.

Comment

I don't know their exact plans, therefore I can only guess. From my point of view, I see 2 possible cases:
                      1. They're buying additional vests or changing the old ones (donated by Scandinavians) for national guards.
                      2. They're buying them for around 2000 additional recruits for regular forces about which talked our defence minister.

From non-classified part of procurement with NFM, it's possible to see that they're going to spend around 4 million € (without VAT) on BEAR 2 load carrier kits.
                      That should be enough to equip the entirety of Latvian military, assuming the load carrier is without armor (and therefore in the 200-500 euro range). Any details on what Bear 2 comprises?

Comment

That should be enough to equip the entirety of Latvian military assuming the load carrier is without armor (and therefore in the 200-500 euro range)
                        Could be the case, as they're planning to introduce uniforms with new MultiLATPAT pattern.

Any details on what Bear 2 comprises?
                        From publicly available information - Bear 2 load carrier vests, Bear 2 L1 and "snow" kits.

Here're photos from the recent World War II victims remembrance day.

Comment

Around 1000 men.
                          Okay thanks. So Lithuania only has 1 combat brigade. And Estonia has 1 professional battalion and the Latvians (from wikipedia) only have 2 infantry battalions.

So i'd figure this "Baltic Battalion" is taking up a good chunk of their available combat resources right?

Comment

Also why has it taken so long for there to be a standing Baltic Battalion force? Shouldn't this have been a top NATO demand from years ago?

Comment

Originally posted by QuaPatetOrbis View Post
                              Okay thanks. So Lithuania only has 1 combat brigade. And Estonia has 1 professional battalion and the Latvians (from wikipedia) only have 2 infantry battalions.

So i'd figure this "Baltic Battalion" is taking up a good chunk of their available combat resources right?

Also why has it taken so long for there to be a standing Baltic Battalion force? Shouldn't this have been a top NATO demand from years ago?
                              BALTBAT is really more of a opportunity for cross-training with neighbor militaries - it's not really a combat unit meant to operate by itself. When Balts deployed to Afghanistan, for example, this was not done under the aegis of BALTBAT, but rather as individual units.

Comment

Working...
                              X