X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by tercio67 View Post
    It seems Bellingcat is having a look at TRIDENT JUNCTURE as well

https://www.bellingcat.com/news/uk-a...ure-exercises/
    Without going off topic... who are these people (bellingcat)?

The do seem to dig for information.

Comment

• Originally posted by BogT View Post

A civil journalists investigative network, they like to dig around and publish their findings online (as for instance with MH17 and the bs spouted by the RF). They like to check official statements/publications against reality, they are rather good at it too.

Comment

• Those pesky Russians operative they have infiltrated the whole world….

https://thebarentsobserver.com/en/se...fter-collision

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/mar.../article/23903

Comment

• Originally posted by AtlanticSurf View Post
          That's a great point. I was curious how the mid-sized nations were contributing. Those like say the Spanish/Italians/Dutch/Polish.
          In the case of Spain, participated with about 900 soldiers , 300 Army, 500 Navy and 100 Air Force. 4 Leopard 2E, 11 Ascod Pizarro,figates Cristóbal Colón (F 105) and Navarra (F 85) and replenishment oiler Cantabria (A 15), iand in the air, 6 F 18 Hornet and a C 295.
          Last edited by Mokordo; 09-11-2018, 08:17 AM. Reason: Sorry, the A 15 is not the Patiño, but Cantabria...

Comment

• i have to note, that just now in the Canary islands, there is another Nato amphibious exercice called Gruflex 2018, with about 3000 troops from Italy, Spain, Portugal and United States.

https://theworldnews.net/es-news/asi...rtante-de-2018

(Sorry, in Spanish)

Comment

• Thanks for mentioning this event didn't know about it!

Nice fleet of L61, L51 and L9894 and its support of frigates and destroyers and a submarine. Couldn't figure out all participants.

Gruflex 18 Videos

Last edited by picanha; 09-11-2018, 03:43 AM.

Comment

A project of the UK intelligence services that is masquerading as a "civilian investigative network" ("White helmets" anyone?). This is why they never concentrate on any investigations that are damaging to the hand that feeds them. Also, this is why no one with half a brain finds them trustworthy.

Comment

• Originally posted by ak16 View Post

A project of the UK intelligence services that is masquerading as a "civilian investigative network" ("White helmets" anyone?). This is why they never concentrate on any investigations that are damaging to the hand that feeds them. Also, this is why no one with half a brain finds them trustworthy.

Здравия зелаю, товарищ аппаратчик! Как дела?

Comment

"An expected 50,000 participants from 31 nations will take part, including 10,000 vehicles, 250 aircraft and 65 vessels."
                    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exerci..._Juncture_2018

31 - Sweden and Finland = the rest of 29 NATO members.

So all NATO members send at least staff officers. It's kinda fun to watch videos and see how many troops you can recognize.
                    Speaking of videos, here are from Finnish Defense Forces:

From my hometown:

Interviewing Finnish troops:

Swe-Fin cooperation:

TRIDENT JUNCTURE 2018 - Finnish and Dutch forces take part in a NATO military demonstration

Comment

• https://www.reuters.com/article/us-m...source=twitter

The US believes Macedonia, or North Macedonia if you will, can join NATO in 2020.

Comment

• so which nations are gonna meet the 2% next year

and which are still suppose to reach it by 2024?

Comment

• The Latest: Macedonian PM: Name change opens EU, NATO doors

https://www.apnews.com/a48fd2c756d34a979933729b8f8f4edd

Prime Minister Zoran Zaev told lawmakers Friday that the deal with neighboring Greece, which insisted on the name change to lift its objections to Macedonia joining NATO and the European Union, was the best he could secure.
                          He stressed that without the deal, his country would be unable to become a member of NATO or the EU.

Comment

• I was reading in the Romanian press: Romania asked and NATO "approved" the establishment of a Army Corp level Command for the South East flank in Romania. So this will be equivalent to what we see now in Poland. I wrote "approved" since there are a lot of steps for that.

I don't know if this is the transformation of the existing Division level Command, or the creation of a new level on top of the current MNSE Division.

I do have a question: what is the fundamental difference between a Division and an Army Corp Command? I know the troops numbers under the respective commands are usually listed as the distinctions, but this cannot be the case here. I doubt we will see a drastic increase in existing troops stationed in Romania, if any.

So why ask for a Army Corp Command? What's the benefit? Just prestige? Can't be just that -- I don't care if it's just that.

P.S. And let's not forget that when we hear that a national country "asked" NATO anything, discussions already took place at various NATO levels about the opportunity of the request. So NATO wants a Army Corp Command in the SE flank.

Comment

So why ask for a Army Corp Command? What's the benefit? Just prestige? Can't be just that -- I don't care if it's just that.
                              To hazard a guess I would suspect that a Corp HQ has a bigger planning function and a more flexible ability to set up- exercises.

Comment

• Originally posted by JohninMK View Post
                                To hazard a guess I would suspect that a Corp HQ has a bigger planning function and a more flexible ability to set up- exercises.
                                They will still be under JFC Naples. I would expect them to take care and coordinate 15-20k large exercises across the area.

Buy you may be right. In the end I expect NATO to know what it's doing.

---
                                If I put my tinfoil hat on (but just for a second), could this be a move to shift away from the LANDCOM Izmir (Turkey)? Or a backup in case relations with Turkey sours? But LANDCOM is more than just a Corp HQ, so that's probably not the case.
                                LANDCOM was created through the North Atlantic Council to ensure the interoperability of NATO land forces, and placed directly under the Supreme Allied Commander Europe to be the leading voice on land issues within the Alliance. It is responsible for providing a deployable land command for a joint operation. LANDCOM will also carry out the planning, conduct and direction of such land operations. What this means is that if a single corps land operation is underway, that corps will probably report to either JFC Brunssum or JFC Naples. If multiple corps are being directed, LANDCOM will direct them for either JFC Brunssum or Naples.
                                From the same wiki, I read:
                                On 26 March 2015, Lieutenant General Ed Davis, Deputy Commander, Allied Land Command, arrived at Headquarters Multinational Corps Northeast (HQ MNC NE) to discuss the ongoing transformation of Multinational Corps Northeast. "The main reason I am here is that Commander LANDCOM has given me the responsibility to lead the evolution of MNC NE and Multinational Division South-East as the two new NATO command organisations which are going to be at the centre of the evolution of the NATO Land Forces," said Lieutenant General Davis.
                                Romania is leading the process of creating Multinational Division South-East, which will be established in Bucharest, Romania, in 2015–16. The division in Bucharest will be subordinate to the NATO Force Integration Unit also to be established there. The division will reach partial/initial operational capacity in 2016 and Full operational capability (FOC) in 2018.
                                The Multinational Division South-East has achieved Full Operational Capability, so maybe transform into the Multinational Corps South-East was the plan all along ("...as the two new NATO command organisations ... are going to be at the centre of the evolution of the NATO Land Forces...").

Comment

Working...
                                X