X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camera
    started a topic Syrian War

Syrian War

The last thread seems lost. So this is a new one. I presume that the Mods will merge it with the old if the geeks manage to recover it.

Al-Qaida operative Muhsin al-Fadhli killed in air strike

By Reuters

WASHINGTON- A longtime al Qaida operative and key figure in the so-called Khorasan Group, Muhsin al-Fadhli, was killed in a US air strike while traveling in a vehicle in northwestern Syria two weeks ago, the Pentagon said on Tuesday.

Al-Fadhli, who had previously been targeted and believed by some US officials to have been killed, was traveling in a vehicle on July 8 near Sarmada, Syria, west of Aleppo, when he was hit by an air strike, the Pentagon said.

CONTINUED:

http://www.jpost.com/Breaking-News/A...-strike-409748
    Last edited by Camera; 22-07-2015, 05:24 AM.

• Tea drinker
    replied
    Originally posted by Fred333 View Post
    Well, goodbye thread, it's been a long ride.
    Indeed Fred. Thanks all for your inputs. Yes even you Nemipuka!

Leave a comment:

• Fred333
    replied
    Well, goodbye thread, it's been a long ride.

Leave a comment:

• Flaahgra
    replied

Paper or online version?
    Both, but it was more prominent in the paper versions.

I guess the elections with the extreme right party of baudet winning many votes pushed it off the frontpage
    That, the terror attack in Utrecht, and the fact that daesh isn't exactly beaten, just lost it's territory.

Leave a comment:

• Fred333
    replied
    Originally posted by Flaahgra View Post

It wasn't frontpage news but I saw reports in every newspaper you name here.
    Paper or online version? I guess the elections with the extreme right party of baudet winning many votes pushed it off the frontpage

Leave a comment:

• Flaahgra
    replied

my bad, I was focused on Dutch online newspapers:

nrc.nl ...tumbleweeds
    volkskrant.nl .....tumbleweeds
    trouw.nl ...........tumbleweeds
    parool.nl ...........tumbleweeds
    telegraaf.nl ...........tumbleweeds
    ad.nl ...............tumbleweeds

maybe this is just a particular dutch situation then
    It wasn't frontpage news but I saw reports in every newspaper you name here.

Leave a comment:

• flamming_python
    replied

nrc.nl ...tumbleweeds

I guess it's a little better than the situation when that other hotspot of terrorism - Aleppo was taken.

Then the English-language media went on and on about the poor suffering rebels, the crimes of the regime and the humanity of it all.

Leave a comment:

• Fred333
    replied
    Originally posted by nemipuka View Post

CBS:

Sky News:

NBC:

CNN:

EuroNews:

Meanwhile, RT:
    "It is ‘outrageous’ that King’s College London (KCL) singled out pro-Palestinian student activists and blocked their access cards ahead of the Queen’s visit to the campus as a ‘security measure,’ one student who was barred told RT."

nrc.nl ...tumbleweeds

Leave a comment:

• Tea drinker
    replied
    The Syrian Arab Army on Sunday continued its military operations against terrorist groups in southern Idleb and northern Hama in response to their repeated violations of de-escalation zone agreement, inflicting losses upon them in personnel and equipment.
    SANA reporter said that the army units destroyed dens of Jabhat al-Nusra terrorists, killed ten of them in the vicinity of Gergnaz in southern Idleb and destroyed weapons and ammunition were in their possession.
    In northern Hama, the reporter added, the army units carried out a precise operation on the direction of al-Nusra terrorists’ movements in al-Karkat village, eliminating a number of terrorist groups and destroying their weapons and equipment.

https://sana.sy/en/?p=161616

Leave a comment:

• nemipuka
    replied

What strikes me is the lack of coverage in the MSM. For years, the necessity of defeating the evil monster of ISIS was all over the news, but now that the caliphate is for all intends and purposes dead...tumbleweeds.

CBS:

Sky News:

NBC:

CNN:

EuroNews:

Meanwhile, RT:
    "It is ‘outrageous’ that King’s College London (KCL) singled out pro-Palestinian student activists and blocked their access cards ahead of the Queen’s visit to the campus as a ‘security measure,’ one student who was barred told RT."

Leave a comment:

• Fred333
    replied
    Originally posted by slasher View Post
    GREAT!!!
    But unfortunately not good riddance as yet. Hard to destroy fanatical convictions with guns and bombs. Then there is the issue of ISIS mothers and children burning inside with the loss of their revered husbands and fathers. Sure, no way that's not gonna come back to bite us in the ass.

Anyway, this has loooong moved passed being an anti-terror operation. That excuse became just a fig-leaf years ago by those exploiting the mess in Syria, jostling for geo-political advantages. A high moral justification used as cover to (deliberately) further fan the flames of insurgency and extremism, then pour gasoline over it for good measure.
    What strikes me is the lack of coverage in the MSM. For years, the necessity of defeating the evil monster of ISIS was all over the news, but now that the caliphate is for all intends and purposes dead...tumbleweeds. Just like Iraq's WMDs that we not found in 2003. Silence in the media then as well. We all know that these were just excuses for intervention then and now.

Leave a comment:

• Ivan le Fou
    replied
    At Hama, 21 person have been reported suffering from gas intoxication.

Leave a comment:

• slasher
    replied
    GREAT!!!
    But unfortunately not good riddance as yet. Hard to destroy fanatical convictions with guns and bombs. Then there is the issue of ISIS mothers and children burning inside with the loss of their revered husbands and fathers. Sure, no way that's not gonna come back to bite us in the ass.

Anyway, this has loooong moved passed being an anti-terror operation. That excuse became just a fig-leaf years ago by those exploiting the mess in Syria, jostling for geo-political advantages. A high moral justification used as cover to (deliberately) further fan the flames of insurgency and extremism, then pour gasoline over it for good measure.

Leave a comment:

• Fred333
    replied
    Baghouz falls, SDF claims ISIS ceases to exist as a territorial entity:

https://twitter.com/AFP_Beirut/statu...57522538905601

Leave a comment:

• haze17
    replied
    https://www.militarytimes.com/flashp...ense-minister/

DAMASCUS, Syria — Syria’s defense minister on Monday slammed what he called the “illegitimate” U.S. military presence in his country, vowing that Damascus has a right to self-defense, while Iraq said a border crossing with Syria will open in the coming days.

Syria's Gen. Ali Ayoub spoke during a rare joint news conference with visiting Iranian and Iraqi army commanders who have been holding meetings in the capital, Damascus.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X