Syrian War

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by AlexanedrVI View Post
    Simply, several battalions are in Tartus warehouses in case of conflict escalation
    Russian commanders they counts every possible development scenario, even the one in which to increase rapidly the numbers of long and short range antiaircraft system. These are stored in large warehouses in Tartusu.
    They're no good sitting in large warehouses, in case of 'conflict escalation'.

Or is Russia wanting to throw one battalion at a time.. wait for one to be destroyed before deploying the next? That'll teach 'em!

Comment

• https://www.timesofisrael.com/russia...hers-for-free/

Here it says 3 battallions, 8 launchers each, 300 missiles including reloads.
      The transferred version is named as the S-300PM (SA-10E) which would be older than the S-300PMU-2 (SA-20B) initially suggested. The hardware came from former Russian Air Defense units which upgraded to S-400 (SA-21), previously known as S-300PMU-3. Transferred for free.

Overall it makes sense. The S-300PMU-2 is the previous version of the current Russian S-400. As they say, too close to comfort in case it fails.

Comment

• All PMs in Russian arsenal were upgraded to PM1 by 2014, and then started to upgrade them to PM2. All Russia has in reserves are PSs, which are really outdated. Considering that these units came from the active duty, and not from the reserves, it has to be either a PM1 or a PM2, since there are no more PMs left.

Comment

• Originally posted by AlexanedrVI View Post
          It is not true.
          https://tass.ru/politika/5650588

1 division S-300 = 2 battalion S-300, 1 battalion = minimally 1x surveillance radar 1x guidance radar and maximal 12xTEL (48 missiles).

Delivered 6 battailons S-300 with more than 300 missiles (6 * 48 missiles = 288).
          You're making at least two assumptions that look unlikely to me.
          First one is that the brigades are fully stocked and equiped per russian standard (my faith in TASS is not very high)
          Second one is that all equipment is fully functional all the time which is comonly not the case in the field.

I do agree they are an important asset for SAA though and will cause Israel to make changes to their strategy. I do not believe they can stop any determined attack though especially if manned by syrians. More like an aditional deterrant to up the ante.

Comment

• Israel is going to face three issues when dealing with these SAM sites.
            1. Russian personnel is likely going to man them for a while.
            2. The undoubted far higher level of threat they pose by themselves.
            3. Attacking a freshly delivered Russian hardware is going to upset Russia.

Russia delivered them giving a clear message to Israel "stay away". No matter whether Israel can or cannot destroy them, but doing that would be a direct challenge to the Russian message.

I remember those times when Israel was striking those Osa-AK SAM vehicles which were supposed to be transferred to Hezboallah. The intention was "to avoid advanced complexes to become a threat to Israel"...

There you go Israel, what an own-goal, now you got S-300 systems at your border in exchange of some outdated equipment.

Comment

• Originally posted by north44 View Post
              Israel is going to face three issues when dealing with these SAM sites.
              1. Russian personnel is likely going to man them for a while.
              2. The undoubted far higher level of threat they pose by themselves.
              3. Attacking a freshly delivered Russian hardware is going to upset Russia.
              4. The integrated network that they will form part of, probably controlled out of Hmeimen for quite a while, will, as I understand it, allow targetting data from any sensor (including the RuAF S-400 up in the mountains) to control any TEL. This would allow a local S-300 to operate with its radars switched off to reduce its vulnerability.
              5. The Russian EW systems now going in.

Comment

• don't the Syrians have every right to defend their airspace and population. is'nt the Israeli bombing of Syria in violation of some international convention. Would the Israelis really attack Russian systems manned by Russian personnel, as they have implied? My problem is I see boogeymen every day in Syria. Its a flaw in my Character.

Comment

• https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0bnfn0d

Interesting documentary about the Assad family.

Comment

• More than 1500 bodies currently being digged out in Raqqa.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ivan le Fou View Post
                      More than 1500 bodies currently being digged out in Raqqa.
                      Let me guess, massgrave digged by moderate opposition to the «Assad Cult» and filled with bodies of its cultists.... I guess its not going to make to western media front page, unlike the barrel bombing of the last transexual-clown-medic of Idlib.

Nothing to see here, Moderates at work

Comment

• so called modeRats

Comment

• Originally posted by Dercius View Post

Let me guess, massgrave digged by moderate opposition to the «Assad Cult» and filled with bodies of its cultists.... I guess its not going to make to western media front page, unlike the barrel bombing of the last transexual-clown-medic of Idlib.

Nothing to see here, Moderates at work
                          I have only seen the news being reported by Russian medias.

Not a word in any French media. Nothing in the UK or US medias either. But the US medias were busy with the Kavanaugh thing and the storms...

Comment

Not a word in any French media. Nothing in the UK or US medias either. But the US medias were busy with the Kavanaugh thing and the storms...
                            You can add to your list nothing regarding this discovery being reported on Spanish and Italian media outlets either.

Comment

Mentioned in passing:

Coalition must do more for Syria's smashed Raqqa: Amnesty

U.S.-led air strikes destroyed much of Syria’s Raqqa while crushing Islamic State last year, but the coalition has done little to help it recover, rights group Amnesty International said on Friday.

“30,000 houses in Raqqa have been completely destroyed and 25,000 are partially destroyed,” said Neistat.

So far about 2,500 bodies have been dug from the rubble.

“To the extent that they are able to identify the bodies, they believe that the majority of them are civilians. And the majority of these civilians have died as a result of coalition air strikes,” she said.

“Nobody knows what’s going to happen to the 3,000 bodies that still lie in the ground come 31 October when the funding for this team runs out,” she said.
                              https://ca.reuters.com/article/topNe...CN1MM1TB-OCATP

Comment

• Cross posted, but relevant here too.

Israeli aircraft said to destroy spying device in southern Lebanon

Lebanese media reports ‘heavy overflights’ by Israeli drones near the Litani river; no comment from IDF

https://www.timesofisrael.com/israel...banon-reports/

Comment

Working...
                                X