Syrian War

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Aradan View Post

I'm just wondering.....how well-protected are SDF+US forces against IS suicide bombings and IEDs? What about blue on green "incidents" with disgruntled SDF factions? Are there any avenues for Russian forces to "come under attack or be threatened" by US+SDF, causing an unfortunate "tragic incident" amongst the latter, ..
    If its anything like what was used in Afghanistan, which I think it is, it would be something along these lines when it comes to IEDs: MATV (the newer versions) with V shaped hulls for transport, mine rollers for the lead vehicles, vehicle mounted ECM measures to jam radio controlled IEDs (in all vehicles), dismounted ECM's in backpacks to jam RC IED's on low, medium and high bands, portable metal detectors with upgraded suites to detect carbon rods, dismounted equipment that allows you to triangulate direction from which icom chatter comes from and detect enemy comms, basic hooks on sticks to poke IED emplacements and remove pressure plates, EOD teams with remotely controlled robots to blow up IEDs in place. This was the standard for the regular infantry. If engineers are traveling with US forces they could also have Huskey vehicles with ground penetrating radars as well. UAV's are also used to inspect routes ahead of US forces movements, where IED's and emplacers can be taken out via hellfires from Reaper drones. SDF forces have more rudimentary means, like some less advanced MRAPs, Humvees and soft skinned vehicles. Probably nothing in regards to sensors.

As far as anti suicide bombers, you have Javelin and Saber Missile systems (TOW). With the Javelin having about 2500 max range (fire and forget) and the TOW2B Aero about 4200 meters (guided). 84mm AT rockets such as Carl Gustav and AT-4s too. They also have the typical vehicle mounted .50 cal, 40mm and 7.62x51 heavy and medium machineguns. The SDF has Milans, Russian ATGMs, RPG-7s and Soviet block machineguns.

For blue on green it certainly gets tougher, the force protection SOP I'm familiar with is having 2 men per guard post or guard tower so no one can sneak on you, someone in charge overseeing the troops on watch and another guard roving in between posts and within the outpost to see if any local forces are going where they shouldn't.

Hope this helps...
    Last edited by Lord Helmet; 14-02-2018, 07:25 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aradan View Post

Well spotted. I have certainly noticed this aspect of the incident as well. The first mass bombing of SAA troops was enough to elicit faux contrition and investigation from the US MoD. Now they don't even bother....

Also, I don't for a single moment believe that Russian PMC operate completely without Russian MoD sanction, knowledge or support - they might be auxiliary troops, but they still serve Russian national interests in places where it is best not to demonstrate official military colours. Heck, a few lynched Blackwater merc was, amongst other things, enough to trigger the US to go into Fallujah. Likewise, although plausible deniability is always in effect when it comes to PMC, a very overt attack on Russian PMC presence (as demonstrated by US PR conduct throughout this incident) is a clear "slap in the face" to Russia.

So, you must believe that a Russian MoD sanctioned operation would have been carried out without an hint of air cover: not a drone, no CAS, no CAP... nothing.
      I don't believe that for a second.

What I believe is that, if someone shoots in the general direction of Russian *official* military personnell - say someone lobs mortar shells toward the russian airfiled - he gets stomped hard. No questions asked. (see the response to the downing of the SU25).

The same apply to the US military. I have no doubts that there were US soldiers in the vicinity of that oilfield - given the quantity and the quality of the assets that were mobilized (AC130, F15, etc). They were in danger. They reacted. Attackers got smacked.

Only a fool - i.e. some paramilitary + PMC - would think that attacking an asset guarded by US personnell is a good idea.

Comment

• So you guys admitting that there is a russian PMC company working in Syria ? Tsk tsk , that's illegal!!11!!11

Comment

• Breaking: Syrian Army deploys massive reinforcements to Deir Ezzor for all-out offensive against #US-backed forces
          I hope its true.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tobi View Post

I hope its true.

If it is they'll get a 2nd serving of what the PMC's got.

Comment

• Originally posted by anon45 View Post

If it is they'll get a 2nd serving of what the PMC's got.

What if they brought some new shiny toys with them? I mean its their country after all, they can decide who is allowed to fly there and who is not.

Edit: Also Tobi is most likely just trolling, throwing in some claim without a source. Note to myself, ignore him.

Comment

• Originally posted by HisRoyalHighness View Post
                Russian newspaper Vedomosti is claiming that this incident was a result of local businessesmen trying to seize the SDF controlled oilfields with Wagner support, this operation was not authorized by the Russian MoD and five PMCs were killed.
                https://www.reddit.com/r/syriancivil...sdf_offensive/

Now thst’s more reasonable.
                Could be.
                Also could be propaganda planted by the government in order to save face.
                Did Vedemosti name their sources?

Comment

• Originally posted by My name again View Post

What if they brought some new shiny toys with them? I mean its their country after all, they can decide who is allowed to fly there and who is not.

Edit: Also Tobi is most likely just trolling, throwing in some claim without a source. Note to myself, ignore him.
                  https://www.almasdarnews.com/article...backed-forces/

Comment

• Helo wrecks are being cleared from Taftanaz airbase. Turks are looking for a new base in Idlib or someone is just salvaging scrap...or both.

Comment

• Originally posted by My name again View Post

The US always has the shiniest toys

Also Assad has had no authority in that area since he abandoned it to ISIS, SDF are Syrians too, and they give US permission to fly there.

Comment

Also Assad has had no authority in that area since he abandoned it to ISIS, SDF are Syrians too, and they give US permission to fly there.

I can't wait for the day when the United States has a mental breakdown when the Chinese start using the excuses we're using now, in the future. The precedents we're setting now to support this pipeline are going to bite us in the ass hard in the future.

And I'm going to LMFAO

Comment

• A video from South Front deconstructing this incident:
                          https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2xTZS9RXrr0

Arguably the best analysis.

Comment

• Russian gov. has been on the defensive today. Been denying all reports about these dead mercs, claims it's a disinformation campaign

Peskov, the Presidential Secretary - has been beset by journalists all asking about the same thing.

https://www.rt.com/news/418819-disto...-peskov-syria/

Gotta admit, Putin picked him well.. he sure knows how to obfuscate, redirect, deny, and turn the question back onto the accusers.

Originally posted by anon45 View Post

Oh, well that's nice.

Lose territory to a terrorist organization - now it's fair game for a foreign country from another continent to swoop in and lap it all up for itself. If there are any terrorists left then hey - maybe they're Syrians too, and can give some formal permission too; just so it looks all good and legal.

Comment

• So Bloomberg is now claiming hundreds of PMCs are being treated for burns in Moscow despite there not being any reports of heavy lift aircraft landing in Syria since February 7th.

Russia must have developed the ability to warp time and space to get the hundreds of wounded thousands of miles to Moscow without aircraft.

Comment

Yes good ole' medieval casus beli. The people of X were suffering under the cruel rule of king of X so they invited the king of Y to liberate them and he in his just zeal chopped off the head of the evil beast and donated some land to the church Z to atone for the sins and happily continued his reign thereafter. Feel free to substitute X, Y and Z for some contemporary names or terms.

Comment

Working...
                                X