Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

US Space Force as a sixth military service by 2020.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US Space Force as a sixth military service by 2020.

The US vice-president said the development is needed to ensure America’s dominance in space amid heightened competition and threats from China and Russia.

“Previous administrations all but neglected the growing security threats emerging in space,” Pence said. “Our adversaries have transformed space into a war-fighting domain already, and the United States will not shrink from this challenge.”

The proposal calls for the Space Force to become a new sixth branch of the military on par with the army, navy, air force, marines and coast guard. If successful it would become the first
    new branch of the armed services to be created since 1947.

To prepare for the new force, Pence announced that the administration would put together an elite squad of service members to fight wars in space, known as the
    Space Operations Force and drawn from all parts of the military like the existing special forces.

There will also be a United States Space Command, which will develop doctrine and tactics for fighting wars in space.

And the administration plans to create an assistant secretary of defense for space, a position that would eventually turn into a head of the independent Space Force.
    more: https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...litary-service

To infinity and beyond - Go USA Guardians of the Galaxy

Comment

Good, go American hegemony. Now we can forget the chaos of the middle east and focus on space.

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Helmet View Post
        Good, go American hegemony. Now we can forget the chaos of the middle east and focus on space.
        just hope they can find some single cell organism to bomb or laser

Comment

Just make sure to keep off of the moon grass.

Comment

It's a pity there's no helium 3 sheikhs on the Moon tho.

#helium3dollar!

Comment

This seems to me like a stupid, wasteful and unnecessary direction. AFAIK, USAF has been handling outer-atmosphere operations successfully for some time now.

Unless DARPA has been keeping a ton of shit behind closed doors (which I doubt, modern U.S. gov doesn't know the meaning of secrecy), this is just political attention-whoring. We have been depending on the Russians to get our astronauts into space for the longest time, and our next big launch of NASA astronauts is on a private launch vehicle.

We had a need to compartmentalize and reorganize our myriad of air assets after WWII into a new branch, I can't see or think of a similar need now for space operations or by 2020. DOD is bloated enough, and a "Space Force" just makes it more-so with little to no benefit.

This is legacy politics, not policy necessetated by circumstance.

Comment

Coming your way: taliban in space suits.

Comment

Barring my not having read up much on the "whys" for doing this, I think the Administration has better, bigger fish to fry. AFAIK: If it really isn't broken, why try to fix it.

I cannot see why the "specialized force" cannot be developed within the USAF and the existing organizations that are already in place.

"Our adversaries are weaponizing space" rings like an old argument. As if we ourselves have not been doing military stuff in space since the very start of the space age. The Air Force itself has repeatedly had programs to get manned elements into orbit. MOL, Blue Gemini, "Blue" Shuttle......

Comment

What would be the correct Latin phrase for "Don't make me come down there"?

Comment

Corporate welfare. I guess DJT really does want to live up to being the king of debt.

Comment

Originally posted by Alcaldemb View Post
                        Corporate welfare. I guess DJT really does want to live up to being the king of debt.
                        I was just gonna say something similar to that...

Comment

Makes sense. Will be based in Kashakstan.

Comment

USSPACOM troopers will need Russian Soyuz into space? Ha, ha ha.......

Or should that be, the USSpaOpFo? Makes my head hurt....

Comment

Working...
                            X