Left Behind No break for the wounded

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Left Behind No break for the wounded

A roadside bomb hit Sgt. Jerrald Jensen's Humvee in Iraq, punching through heavy armor and shooting a chunk of hot metal into his head at several times the speed of sound, shattering his face and putting him in a coma. "I wasn't supposed to live," the veteran lisped with half a tongue through numb lips. "No one knows why I did. It's shocking." Even more shocking is what Jensen did next. After 16 surgeries, the sergeant volunteered to go back to combat in one of the most savage corners of Afghanistan, where he was injured again. Perhaps most shocking, though, is what happened when he got home.

http://cdn.csgazette.biz/soldiers/day2.html

Its a world of its own

Comment

What the hell…

To be honest, I wonder if excesses such as these are a result of America's enthusiastic perception of the military. You know, if every soldier is perceived as a hero and a veteran, even those who in truth never went beyond the wire and never did anything particularly noteworthy, you're creating a role model that's impossible to live up to. And if one bumps into actual heroes who're the real deal, they're going to feel inferior. And when people feel inferior, they'll be taking it out on someone.

Comment

Unfortunately, this sort of thing is emblematic of two long-running trends in the military thinking - a reflexive tendency to view the wounded as shirkers who are avoiding duty, and chronic under-investment in non-combat sectors of the armed forces, leading to low morale and perverse incentives to cut corners.

Comment

Really breaks your heart to see this kind of nonsense, problem is the military is full of nonsense. People who are so full of the bs that they just try to make junior troops lives miserable. Whether is wounded troops not given a break, or simply harassing their own soldiers in pursue of whatever they think is discipline. Terrible commanders often chase troops out of the service, when all they needed was a second chance.

Comment

Working...
          X