Finland has second thoughts about its women soldiers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finland has second thoughts about its women soldiers

"I decided long ago I would do military service," says Saara Piitulainen, a 22-year-old voluntary servicewoman. "My father was a peacekeeper, and that is what I want to do myself."

"I was a bit nervous before joining the army, because I had read a lot online about attitudes towards women in the forces," says Alexiana Gaudiat. "My thoughts radically changed when I came here. I have not experienced any discrimination at all."

"Sometimes we march long distances with very heavy packs on the back. [Men] always help. Of course, you shouldn't just give up and lie down in tears in a heap of snow."
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-44541440

I think the last sentence was a bit of a slip...

I really doubt there will be any change soon. The service these days gets very positive feedback from the conscripts and it has been improving for past 10 years:

-70 coscripts start their service with positive attitude, 10% disagree and rest don't know
    - Instructors were give grade 4.3/5
    - defense willingness 4.2/5
    https://puolustusvoimat.fi/artikkeli...hiin-korkeal-1

The usual suspects just want change for political reasons.

Ah. I too recall the long marches and the few ladies among us that asked we helped out in the last 5kms for the packs.

Aside from that and despite what some think here women do a great job in the military. Even the ‘warrior face’.

Comment

Originally posted by JakeScully View Post
      Ah. I too recall the long marches and the few ladies among us that asked we helped out in the last 5kms for the packs.

Aside from that and despite what some think here women do a great job in the military. Even the ‘warrior face’.
      Let me confess: during my NCO school which completion included a 40km march, I was also helped by my fellow troops. Couldn't cut the mustard at that point in service.

Comment

It's nothing to be ashamed of. I've seen women on long marches that required help, and those that didn't require help. Same goes for the men. It's the whole point of being one as a unit.

Comment

No problem, you just need to lower the standards then it will be all fitting for everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by Jumper View Post
            No problem, you just need to lower the standards then it will be all fitting for everyone.

It's a general conscription so to talk of standards... It works like this: 100% of male population is called up and go through medical checks. ~10% either are deemed not fit or go to civilian service (and few go to prison for objecting to do any service). The ones that are deemed not fit are either released from service during peacetime (some medical condition) or are sent back to civilian life the get them in shape and they come back the following year. Then during basic training some 20% quit and join civilian service, quit due to emerging medical condition or are sent back to civilian life for some period. For example, if you get a fracture you will take a break for a half a year or a year and continue. This continues as long as they either release you from service during peace time or you are over 30. I know one guy who went back twice.

If you are in horrible shape or are just a bad soldier, during your six months or a year of service, they can then just not place you on any reserve units. This in turn might make you feel like you just wasted six months/year.

Comment

Originally posted by Jumper View Post

Ridiculous train of thought. There are men who are not able to reach standards, just as there are women who can.

Comment

Originally posted by thanamestolga View Post

Ridiculous train of thought. There are men who are not able to reach standards, just as there are women who can.
                If there is any grind on standards, it's that the scores from tests determine points necessary for further training such as NCO (easy to get in) and officer (pretty much only best from NCO school get there) training. For example for running tests: women get grade 3/5 for running same amount as men who get the 1/5 grade, same pretty much goes for all physical tests. And these points directly effect score from basic training.

Comment

Originally posted by thanamestolga View Post

Yes exactly, those men don't fit in aswell!
                  What's rediculous about that?

Comment

Working...
                  X