China unveils ‘laser AK-47’ that can set fire to targets a kilometre away

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• China unveils ‘laser AK-47’ that can set fire to targets a kilometre away

China brings Star Wars to life with ‘laser AK-47’ that can set fire to targets a kilometre away

China has developed a new portable laser weapon that can zap a target from nearly a kilometre away, according to researchers involved in the project.

The ZKZM-500 laser assault rifle is classified as being “non-lethal” but produces an energy beam that cannot be seen by the naked eye but can pass through windows and cause the “instant carbonisation” of human skin and tissues.
    https://sg.news.yahoo.com/china-brin...120135404.html

Figures that the Chinese would make something that apparently burns skin and flesh off and then classify it as “non-lethal.”
    Last edited by HisRoyalHighness; 02-07-2018, 08:25 PM. Reason: Title modified due to title limit

Why would you develop such a thing? How do they mean to deploy it?

Comment

The problem has never been (for a definition of never of any time in the last 30 years) creating a light weight laser that could do this. The problem has always been one of how to carry batteries with enough power to do so. It's some basic laws of physics and chemistry. Maybe they can create one that can fire repeatedly - if it's plugged into a vehicle. Or a single shot wonder with batteries in a backpack. Or a multi-shot device that needs 8 hours of recharge inbetween.

Comment

Originally posted by TheKiwi View Post
        The problem has never been (for a definition of never of any time in the last 30 years) creating a light weight laser that could do this. The problem has always been one of how to carry batteries with enough power to do so. It's some basic laws of physics and chemistry. Maybe they can create one that can fire repeatedly - if it's plugged into a vehicle. Or a single shot wonder with batteries in a backpack. Or a multi-shot device that needs 8 hours of recharge inbetween.

Apparently, that issue has been solved according to developers:
        Wang Zhimin, associate researcher at the Research Centre for Laser Physics and Technology at the Chinese Academy of Sciences in Beijing, said technological improvements in recent years meant scientists were able to develop smaller and more powerful devices in the same way that mobile phone manufacturers had done.
        Don’t know how true these statements are.

Comment

Everyone of us got badly burnt at least once in their lifetime. All it needs is natural reflexes to do their work, you just back off from what's burnt you. Is that the effect they want to get at?

How effective could such a weapon even be though, provided I'm right to assume that "non-lethal" isn't a massive understatement but an indicator of an actually limited output? Even a measly pair of run-of-the-mill denim slacks doesn't catch fire that easily. I'm by no means an expert on all things physics, but it would seem to me that if that gun ain't powerful enough to register as "lethal", staying in motion and keeping one's eyes and naked skin protected might be able to negate its effects if not completely, so at least substantially.

Feel free to teach me better, by the way.

Comment

I remember the US developed a laser with an acronym named CLAW. I think it stood for chemical laser anti-personnel weapon.

Not for kinetic attack, but to permanently blind Warsaw Pact Forces operwtng vehicles and weapons via optics.

Great idea, but kinda cruel...and hence not officially deployed.

Man portable lasers to blind personnel would have great utility, if you’re fighting using win at all costs prison rules.

Put a guy out there against me at 800m with a kinetic laser and I’ll gladly nail the bugger.

Put a guy out there against me at 800m with a blinding laserjust seeeping it around and I’ll probably poop my pants.....anti-laser coatings and covers notwithstanding,

Comment

Originally posted by HisRoyalHighness View Post
              Apparently, that issue has been solved according to developers:

Don’t know how true these statements are.
              I'm going to go with 'utter bullshit'. If you've invented that, you make $billions selling it to automakers or phonemakers or any one of dozens of other industrial applications that are desperate for such a breakthrough. Not make some fairly pointless laser rifles.

Comment

Good point.

Comment

I'm going to go with 'utter bullshit'. If you've invented that, you make $billions selling it to automakers or phonemakers or any one of dozens of other industrial applications that are desperate for such a breakthrough. Not make some fairly pointless laser rifles.
                  Good point.

I'm guessing this rifle will either have a large backpack unit or will be connected to a vehicle or a mobile generator. Not really useful for offensive operations, but perfect for riots and defensive actions.

Comment

Already available from http://www.wickedlasers.com/arctic ...

Comment

Agreed. I'd go so far as to say that is along the lines of the good ol' ADE 651 'bomb detector' - that is to say, simply a fraud and a sophisticated scam.

There's simply no way that this device could do what the vendor claims, in a form factor that would be in any way man-portable. Even many big industrial lasers can't cause 'instant carbonization' of flesh at 800 m.

Comment

Originally posted by Flagg View Post
                        I remember the US developed a laser with an acronym named CLAW. I think it stood for chemical laser anti-personnel weapon.

Not for kinetic attack, but to permanently blind Warsaw Pact Forces operwtng vehicles and weapons via optics.

Great idea, but kinda cruel...and hence not officially deployed.

Man portable lasers to blind personnel would have great utility, if you’re fighting using win at all costs prison rules.

Put a guy out there against me at 800m with a kinetic laser and I’ll gladly nail the bugger.

Put a guy out there against me at 800m with a blinding laserjust seeeping it around and I’ll probably poop my pants.....anti-laser coatings and covers notwithstanding,

The US currently uses a laser dazzler. They have been in use at checkpoints to force compliance instead of just shooting at vehicles.

Comment

Also considering the amount of laser warning systems mounted on vehicles etc that lay main armament onto the Laser point of origin. Easiest way to let someone know you are around it to activate on any type of laser. It will most likely end up being used for Less Lethal roles

Comment

Originally posted by Kap View Post

The US currently uses a laser dazzler. They have been in use at checkpoints to force compliance instead of just shooting at vehicles.
                            This one back in the 80’s wasn’t in the same family as the more recent and humane LTL. This thingie burned out your retinas for good.

Comment

The ZKZM-500 laser assault rifle is classified as being “non-lethal” but produces an energy beam that cannot be seen by the naked eye but can pass through windows and cause the “instant carbonisation” of human skin and tissues.
                              https://www.scmp.com/news/china/dipl...could-set-fire

Comment

• TheKiwi
                                TheKiwi commented
                                Editing a comment
                                Duplicate. See the thread in the Military section. Consensus: It's bullshit.
                            Working...
                            X