Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

French Armed Forces / Forces armées françaises.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • French Armed Forces / Forces armées françaises.

    MinDef: http://www.defense.gouv.fr/english

    Current operation news: http://www.defense.gouv.fr/english/portail-defense

    Dailymotion: http://www.dailymotion.com/ministeredeladefense

    Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/armee2terre/featured


    FFL recruitement requirements : http://en.legion-recrute.com/mdl/inf...e-requirements


  • #2
    New documentary about the Serval Operation in Mali (source is the French Defense Ministry channel on Youtube):
     

    Comment


    • #3
      French Navy Test Launched a MU90 Torpedo from its ATL2 Maritime Patrol Aircraft
      The French Navy released a picture showing one of its ATL2 (Breguet/Dassault Atlantique 2) Maritime Patrol Aircraft (MPA) launching a MU90 torpedo. The MPA belongs to the Flotille (naval air squadron) 21F based in Lann-Bihoué (Britanny) and the trial was conducted at the French procurement agency (DGA) maritime test field in the Mediterranean Sea. The first even MU90 torpedo launch from an ATL2 took place in April 2011.

      http://www.navyrecognition.com/index...k=view&id=2666

      Comment


      • #4
        FREMM Aquitaine fires a naval cruise missile : http://www.mbda-systems.com/mediagallery/#/news/3493

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Exocet Block 3 View Post
          New documentary about the Serval Operation in Mali (source is the French Defense Ministry channel on Youtube):
          no subs available?

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by QuaPatetOrbis View Post
            no subs available?
            An English version of the documentary will be uploaded soon according to the channel.

            Comment


            • #7
              France Boosts Arms Spending, Eyes C-130 Buy :
              http://www.defensenews.com/story/bre...gate/27652679/


              According to the updated French Military Planning Law, the French Army will receive 67 Tiger HAD helicopters (instead of 60) and Laser Guided Rockets (by TDA Armements) will be integrated faster.

              TDA Armements :
              Last edited by Exocet Block 3; 20-05-2015, 11:00 PM.

              Comment


              • #8
                French Defense Minister: 8 FREMM For The Navy Followed by 5 New Generation FTI Frigates
                French Defense Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian detailed the naval part of the update to the French Military Planning Law today on a naval base in Brittany. The French Navy will receive 8 FREMM Frigates in total (while 11 of them were originally planned) and a new generation of frigates: the FTI (Frégate de Taille Intermédiaire or Midsize Frigate) which will start being delivered in 2023 for a total of 5 hulls.
                http://www.navyrecognition.com/index...k=view&id=2762

                Comment


                • #9
                  So? That's an acknowledgement of yet another failed European program where we cut our losses after a fraction of the ships being delivered due to skyrocketing prices?

                  Or is it just that we don't have the money to buy more FREMM? or that 8 then 5 are going to be the Marine Nationale combat capacity?

                  What's your take on this?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    ^ As stressed by the defense minister this is very much an "industrial" decision: The FREMM is seen as too expensive and complex for most export customers... the FTI will nicely fit the gap between the Gowind and FREMM. This is good news for DCNS Lorient who have a "full order book" until the end of the 2020ies / begining of 2030ies.

                    Is it good news for the French Navy ? We just don't know yet... but let's hope the FTI turns out to be more like a FREMM and less like a Lafayette.

                    Comment


                    • #11


                      http://www.navyrecognition.com/index...k=view&id=2763

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by xav View Post
                        ^ As stressed by the defense minister this is very much an "industrial" decision: The FREMM is seen as too expensive and complex for most export customers... the FTI will nicely fit the gap between the Gowind and FREMM. This is good news for DCNS Lorient who have a "full order book" until the end of the 2020ies / begining of 2030ies.

                        Is it good news for the French Navy ? We just don't know yet... but let's hope the FTI turns out to be more like a FREMM and less like a Lafayette.
                        So 15 line ships/escorts as opposed to an original intention (pre-2010?) for 18?? Obviously, as the article says, there will be the two Horizons - so then you have the 8 FREMMS as your higher end frigates and then 5 FTIs acting as mid-range escorts slotting in between OPVs and the FREMMS?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by ~UNiOnJaCk~ View Post

                          So 15 line ships/escorts as opposed to an original intention (pre-2010?) for 18?? Obviously, as the article says, there will be the two Horizons - so then you have the 8 FREMMS as your higher end frigates and then 5 FTIs acting as mid-range escorts slotting in between OPVs and the FREMMS?
                          ex
                          ac
                          tly

                          Original requirement for MN FREMMs was 17 hulls, it was then dropped to 11 and now just 8... including 2 with increased AAW capabilities (likely just a boosted Herakles radar and ASTER 30 missiles)...

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by ~UNiOnJaCk~ View Post

                            So 15 line ships/escorts as opposed to an original intention (pre-2010?) for 18?? Obviously, as the article says, there will be the two Horizons - so then you have the 8 FREMMS as your higher end frigates and then 5 FTIs acting as mid-range escorts slotting in between OPVs and the FREMMS?
                            20 if you include the five La Fayette-class frigates. Or are they due to be replaced by the FTIs?

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by xav View Post
                              ^ As stressed by the defense minister this is very much an "industrial" decision: The FREMM is seen as too expensive and complex for most export customers... the FTI will nicely fit the gap between the Gowind and FREMM. This is good news for DCNS Lorient who have a "full order book" until the end of the 2020ies / begining of 2030ies.

                              Is it good news for the French Navy ? We just don't know yet... but let's hope the FTI turns out to be more like a FREMM and less like a Lafayette.
                              Strange that France was willing to sell a finished FREMM to Egypt, thus decreasing own capabillities, when they at the same time builds less hulls than planned. I never entirely understood that sale.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X