NATO commander advocates arming Baltic and Eastern Europe to deter Russia

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NATO commander advocates arming Baltic and Eastern Europe to deter Russia

Eastern Europe and Baltic countries need to be fortified with arms supplies to counter the threat from Russia, a NATO commander has said. However, the possibility of Russia occupying Ukraine was unrealistic, he said. The standoff between Russia and NATO countries prompted the NATO to build a case for arming its member states in Eastern Europe and the Baltic countries, Latvia, Lithuania and Estonia.
    "The NATO should begin an arms deployment offensive for Baltic countries and allies in the east, before stationing heavy weapons in eastern Europe," NATO's Central and Eastern Europe Commander Hans-Lothar Domröse told "Die Welt" newspaper in an interview on Friday.
    "We need to furnish our allies with modern and effective weapons like helicopters, howitzers, tanks, anti-aircraft rocket systems and heavy machines and train them to use the equipment," Domröse added.
    Source:http://www.dw.de/nato-commander-advo...sia/a-18526519

Oh it's friday, let's post about NATO-Batlics-Russia
    Yawn...............

Can't we just regroup all such kind of threads

Comment

If they are not presently deterred by the prospect of the massive conventional overmatch that they face against NATO then, if they are ever seriously that way inclined, i doubt anything else will deter them. What a pointless exercise.

Comment

I wonder which industry he lobbies.

Comment

Beyond a shipload of Javelins, MANPADs, man portable mortars, coms/EW kit and small arms they already have...what do the Baltics really NEED in terms of KIT?

I would be thinking NEW STRATEGY would be FAR more important than NEW KIT.

Ukraine has(still has) a sh!t ton of Cold War era kit that it still uses effectively.......but what it changed was it's strategy.

I'd be thinking the Baltic States would be far more appreciative of Cold War era retired DET-A fellas matched with a few younger tech savvy types to help define an appropriate and effective Counter-UW strategy.

Which sounds a bit like what the Baltics are actually trying to do to a greater or lesser degree when you look at Lithuania publishing an article on Russian NGW.

Comment

It would make sense for the Western European NATO members to subsidize the frontline Eastern European NATO members - especially the smaller ones in the Baltic - in return for the countries spend at least 2 percent of their GDP on defense and build up efficient and effective anti-invasion defences - a cross between the Swiss, Finnish, and Israeli model of total defence based on masse conscription - is what that is needed.

The European NATO members should also - especially Denmark, Estonia, Germany, Lativa, Lithuania, Poland and Norway - do more to convince Finland and Sweden to join the Alliance - including providing opportunities for the Finnish and Swedish defense industries - to better secure our northern flank.

Comment

With relatively small armies, who is going to use all this equipment. Just what I need, an M-1 Abrahams parked in my parking space in Vilnius

On that note rather an M-1 than a Russian Army T-80!
              Last edited by Erikas; 21-06-2015, 12:31 AM. Reason: Spelling.

Comment

You should not have a small army, you should have a 290.000 strong defence force - based on a 15.000 cadre, mass conscription and reserve officers corps with an emphasis on light infantry and cheap, but effective artillery with cluster munitions - only tanks and mechanized gear for a single armored brigade. Should not take up much parking space in Vilnius.

Comment

Originally posted by Erikas View Post
                  With relatively small armies, who is going to use all this equipment. Just what I need, an M-1 Abrahams parked in my parking space in Vilnius
                  On that note rather an M-1 than a Russian Army T-80!
                  Pre-positioning isn't the same as donating equipment to the hosting country. That armor isn't going to be manned by Lithuanians.

Comment

Originally posted by drax View Post

Pre-positioning isn't the same as donating equipment to the hosting country. That armor isn't going to be manned by Lithuanians.
                    Or, more importantly, who will pay for that deployment? Lithuania?

Comment

How about independent nuclear deterrent for each NATO country bordering Russia?

Comment

Originally posted by Bear Trend View Post
                        Great idea, let's equalize the situation and have everyone have nukes. The future is bright. Very bright.

Comment

Originally posted by Bear Trend View Post
                          Terrible idea. I'd like to visit Finland one day thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Hansen View Post
                            You should not have a small army, you should have a 290.000 strong defence force - based on a 15.000 cadre, mass conscription and reserve officers corps with an emphasis on light infantry and cheap, but effective artillery with cluster munitions - only tanks and mechanized gear for a single armored brigade. Should not take up much parking space in Vilnius.
                            Sounds awfully Finnish😊

Comment

Should sound wonderful Finnish, if you not are Russian.

Comment

Working...
                              X