Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Army lifts ban on cutters, mentally ill and drug abusers to meet recruiting goals

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Army lifts ban on cutters, mentally ill and drug abusers to meet recruiting goals

"Facing low recruitment levels, the U.S. Army quietly lifted its ban on allowing people with a history of mental illness, self-mutilation and drug abuse to serve in the military – despite warnings from the industry about the risks involved.

The new rules green-light recruits who have bipolar disorder, depression and issues with cutting – a process in which a person takes a knife or razor to his or her own skin – along with those who bite, hit or bruise themselves intentionally.

“I am shocked,” Craig Bryan, executive director of the National Center for Veterans Studies at The University of Utah, told Fox News. “This contradicts everything we have been working toward for the past 10-to-15 years.""

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017...ing-goals.html

Soooooooooo... Even though this officially came out before the Bowe Bergdahl debacle aka no prison time and what-not... This is opening a whole new bag of worms with doing this, and I also see it as a loophole for transgender soldiers to continue to join.

They did this before during the height of the Iraq war (with allowing felons), and even though some good soldiers came out of it, a lot of them were first to be pink slipped when it was time for force reduction. But with doing this, I wonder how much the budget for the VA will have to increase, because I can guarantee you, a lot of these soldiers will be doing claims on their pre-existing conditions they were allowed to enlist with. As military service will "aggravate" said issues and allow them to claim when they get out because of aggravation.

Better idea would be to stop cutting experienced soldiers with largely clean records from staying in, than have to cut recruitment standards when we realize we need place-fillers for the positions that the Army voided in the first place.

Crap like this makes me happy to be out.

P.S. Been a bit since I've been here, and glad to see you all around still.

Comment

Originally posted by Sloppy Joe2 View Post
      Better idea would be to stop cutting experienced soldiers with largely clean records from staying in, than have to cut recruitment standards when we realize we need place-fillers for the positions that the Army voided in the first place.

Crap like this makes me happy to be out.

P.S. Been a bit since I've been here, and glad to see you all around still.

Apparently it's cheaper for the Army to continually train new soldiers instead of paying for the retirement pension of a good soldier who served 20 or more years.

I'm glad to see you too, you need to post more!

Comment

Bad idea

I agree with Sloppy Joe

Comment

Jeez, this is gonna be a slo-mo car crash. This sounds familiar, wasn’t the dude who killed Chris Kyle a bag of issues but got in due to reduced standards?

Comment

US army set up recruiting office here, recruiting quotas in quality and quantity will be attained...problem solved.

Comment

Originally posted by Moose_Hates_You View Post
              Jeez, this is gonna be a slo-mo car crash. This sounds familiar, wasn’t the dude who killed Chris Kyle a bag of issues but got in due to reduced standards?
              IIRC he was drugged up and had mental issues.
              the whole idea of the volunteer army was to get better quality soldiers who would stay in longer.

Comment

Originally posted by Sloppy Joe2 View Post
                l.
                I agree, the US military has too many cooks in the kitchen IMO.
                Same, same on closing domestic military bases IMO. A lot of politics in decision making...from bases, to the draft, to hardware, etc.

Too many old coot senators making military decisions.

Comment

So let me get this straight, recruits who cut themselves get a waiver but recruits who get corrective eye surgery don’t.
                  So.....how long until they start allowing disabled recruits like the Bundeswehr?

Comment

Originally posted by Kap View Post

Apparently it's cheaper for the Army to continually train new soldiers instead of paying for the retirement pension of a good soldier who served 20 or more years.

I'm glad to see you too, you need to post more!
                    Sounds like an officer I worked for back in the 90s. He supposedly had been taught at the academy that career enlisted were 'wasted lives'. It was his stated goal to make sure that none of his troops stayed in past ten years....:-( I don't think it worked out for him in the end, something about his F-I-L (the general) finding him with one of his female troops and his wife getting a very large settlement. I heard that he retied as a Major years later.

Comment

Maybe if the military all around would have better compensation more people would be willing to give it a go. I recall having a bigger paycheck as a summer intern at a bank than I did as a Lance Corporal during the summer fighting season back in Marjah 2010.

Leave the drug abusers, cutters and the like to the Army, go join the Marines instead. Slay dragons, wear dress blues and get laid a bunch

Comment

This thread is in need of a Pvt Gomer Pyle photo while seating at the WC

Comment

Bring back the draft. America needs some political division and bitter bullet catches for sandbox adventures. Or better yet, round up the SJWs. They sound exactly like the drug using cutters described above.

Comment

Originally posted by HisRoyalHighness View Post
                            So let me get this straight, recruits who cut themselves get a waiver but recruits who get corrective eye surgery don’t.
                            So.....how long until they start allowing disabled recruits like the Bundeswehr?
                            Pretty sure it already happens. When I went through basic in 2005 there was a dude in my platoon who got a 99 on the ASVAB... Guess what he had? Moderate to severe Aspergers. He eventually got kicked out, but it was only after he started wetting the bed. They didn't care that he was mentally disabled.

Comment

So basically mentally unstable people will be given guns, taught how to use them and then shipped off to highly delicate powderkegs with a large chance of global political and PR fall-out when the rusty grenade in their brain inevitably goes bang. Then after they get back when they get kicked back into civilian life everyone in society can enjoy the trail of destruction they'll leave behind.

Sounds like a typical conservative Christian approach. They cut themselves, they use drugs and they're insane but at least they ain't queer! (re: transgender ban)

Comment

Working...
                              X