X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Russian Armed Forces

Militaryphotos Russian Photos (updtaed on regular basis) epic thread

Checking in...

Not sure what we are going to be doing around here. Since photos are, officially, non grata, I guess we could stick to the format of the general discussion thread.

BTW, all documents from Kremlin.ru are governed by Creative Commons, so if you find any mil photos there, I think they are safe to post (with appropriate CC attribution).

Comment

I will be re-uploading most of my photos I own and those photos that I have permissions to this week.
      Stay tuned
      Last edited by RomanS; 21-04-2015, 01:52 PM.

Comment

So to get the ball rolling,

a couple of questions...

Has RF procurement of BMP-3 been on going over the last few to current? Or has the idea been more about modernizing BMP-2 to Berezhok standard in the interim until Kurganets etc are ready for introduction? If so do we have reliable figures on numbers both in service and procurement each year? I was gathering it was roughly 2 Battalions of T-90A back in the Day before that put an end to and T-72 modernization taking precedent but I've seen nothing of BMP-3 production... (Aside from a few posts talking about it still being in production)

Anything information would be welcome.

Comment

BMP-3 hasn't been in production since 2010-2011, at least.

MOD has paid for modernizing BMP-2 and T-72 (as well as repairing BMP-3), but no new vehicles have been purchased for several years now.

Also, I don't think any Berezhok upgrades have actually been contracted yet (at least, nothing beyond the usual "we are planning this"). Only capital overhaul of BMP-2 with some minor upgrades (like new radios, etc).

Also, I heard that there are rumours that MOD is going to purchase back some of the Korean BMP-3's, but that's just idle talk for now.
          Last edited by artjomh; 21-04-2015, 05:10 PM.

Comment

Lets get rolling.

First Batch is from my very good friend lets call him "A"
            Unit "Ural District Spetsnaz of MVD"

Old School Chechnya circa 2004ish

Random Soldier of Interior Forces putting on wraps

Dont ask me about the helmet. Lots of people with humor out there

Comment

Hey Roman, do you still have that pic of your buddy beside the BRDM-2? He had "Greetings from Chechnya to Militaryphotos" or something similar.

Comment

Yeah its some where on one of my hard drives lol, must dig it up

Its the same buddy by the way

Buddy "A"

Comment

Originally posted by artjomh View Post
                  Also, I heard that there are rumours that MOD is going to purchase back some of the Korean BMP-3's, but that's just idle talk for now.
                  I do believe it's not really a purchase, it's more of a "barter" scheme, S.K. gets more T-80s spares (as those are being retired from service in Russia if I'm not mistaken) in exchange they send back the BMP-3 (they will have enough K21 soon I think).

That way S.K. keeps to operate the T-80s they've got and are happy with (save for chronicle parts unavailability) until they get enough K1A2 /K2, while Russia gets back some BMP-3s they can keep using as a stopgap while retiring the BMP fleet, the BMP-3 being the most recent platform around.

Essentially it's a fairly rational decision for both sides, which shouldn't include money transaction, so that might happen rather quickly.

But as you said save declarations there wasn't anything more concrete.
                  Last edited by Bidoul; 21-04-2015, 06:01 PM. Reason: clarification

Comment

Originally posted by artjomh View Post
                    BMP-3 hasn't been in production since 2010-2011, at least.

MOD has paid for modernizing BMP-2 and T-72 (as well as repairing BMP-3), but no new vehicles have been purchased for several years now.

Also, I don't think any Berezhok upgrades have actually been contracted yet (at least, nothing beyond the usual "we are planning this"). Only capital overhaul of BMP-2 with some minor upgrades (like new radios, etc).

Cheers for the response, most of that sounds like I had previously gathered, These minor updates on the BMP-2s do we have so visual identifiers to pickup upon with them? (Minor up armoring, Covered Firing Ports etc) or do they remain visually indistinguishable from the exterior?
                    Personally of great interest to me is also the progress in the T-72 upgrade program and indeed how fast its taking place... Unfortunately it seems that most numbers ( I can see at least) that are published tend to be for the T-72 fleet as a whole rather than distinguishing between variants so I am not unsure how far its exactly progressed.

@Roman Great post

Comment

Specific numbers of T-72B3 have been pretty sketchy.

I've read news reports that go something like "more than 150" in 2013, "around 140" in 2014, "planned 70" in 2015...

Comment

Hi, my first post on Mess. The Russian army photo were the reason i have signed in MP so this is great place to start in Mess.

Comment

Also friends,

I just spoke to Vitaly (Dzhaga Dzhaga), he will be joining us and bringing us more current original content here.

With having you awesome people here, its good news all around

Comment

Originally posted by RomanS View Post
                            Also friends,

I just spoke to Vitaly (Dzhaga Dzhaga), he will be joining us and bringing us more current original content here.

With having you awesome people here, its good news all around
                            Thanks Roman! Been a fan of the Russian Photos thread on MP.

Comment

Thank you guys for the picture, Yay, Cheers everyone.

Comment

Working...
                              X