No announcement yet.

How would a Russian invasion of the Baltics fare against NATO

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A relevant excerpt from (US Force Commander in Europe) Lieutenant General Ben Hodges's interview with News.ro (Romanian news agency, via Google translate):

Asked if he still supports a point of view expressed in June 2016 that NATO can not defend the Baltic States in case of an invasion of the Russian Federation.

Not at all. We have even seen three changes: firstly, Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania have increased their own efforts. Article 3 of the Washington Treaty, which created NATO, says that nations should do their best to defend themselves, so that those countries' work on defense planning, instruction, modernization efforts, increasing defense spending so that I am in a much better place through my own powers. Secondly, the Alliance's decision at the NATO summit in Warsaw in July to set up the eFB - the Enhanced Enforced Presence - led groups led by Britain in Estonia led by Canada in Latvia led by Germany in Lithuania, and , Of course, the one led by the US in Poland, which we talked about earlier, these are significant improvements in the defense capabilities there. That study that appeared about two years ago (referred to in 2016 - No) did not take into account the improved capabilities of the states as well as the displacement of the eFB combat groups, so I am more confident in this respect . And, of course, in June, one month before coming to Romania for the Saber Guardian exercise, we will do an exercise called the Saber Strike and we will be training with all the eFB, NFIU - NATO Force Integration Units - multinational troops In the north-east, the Czech Republic and Poland. We will be doing exercises with these components and I think we will have a lot to learn from this and I feel much better about the region's ability to defend itself .
    Things change, the situation is fluid.

The person that cried wolf is now sharpening his pitchfork rather than simply giving up (it's something that I apreciate in the US or NATO efforts in that region).

Comment

• Originally posted by BogT View Post
      A relevant excerpt from (US Force Commander in Europe) Lieutenant General Ben Hodges's interview with News.ro (Romanian news agency, via Google translate):

Things change, the situation is fluid.

The person that cried wolf is now sharpening his pitchfork rather than simply giving up (it's something that I apreciate in the US or NATO efforts in that region).
      'Giving up'? Giving up what? Is a Russian invasion imminent? Or is this all rhetoric and fabrication based on the need to paint Russia as an enemy and hysteria over anti-EU populism in the EU and so on.

Comment

• Originally posted by username View Post
        BINGO! So why should Russia invade Baltics again? Just for the Lulz?
        To rescue fellow countrymen from the claws of imperialist fascists, of course. Don't tell me you wouldn't applaud while standing if your media had been broadcasting this gospel for half a year prior to the conflict .

Or alternatively, for the lulz. I'd do it for the lulz. Wouldn't you?

Comment

• Originally posted by flamming_python View Post

'Giving up'? Giving up what?
          Giving up on the idea of defending the Baltic states due to the challenge such defence would involve.

Comment

• Originally posted by BogT View Post

Giving up on the idea of defending the Baltic states due to the challenge such defence would involve.
            Oh okay fair enough.

Comment

• Originally posted by drax View Post
              Don't tell me you wouldn't applaud while standing if your media had been broadcasting this gospel for half a year prior to the conflict .
              I am German and do not give a fuck what Russian media reporting and what not. I am more concern about the Hysteria popping from time to time in German MSM, but it's another story.

alternatively, for the lulz. I'd do it for the lulz. Wouldn't you?
              And risking Atomic Sunrise all over the Globe, no thanks.

Again the question still stand, what will Russia gain from invading and occupying Baltics

Comment

• Originally posted by username View Post
                I am German and do not give a fuck what Russian media reporting and what not. I am more concern about the Hysteria popping from time to time in German MSM, but it's another story.

And risking Atomic Sunrise all over the Globe, no thanks.

Again the question still stand, what will Russia gain from invading and occupying Baltics
                in reality? nothing zero nada in the minds of the american population and some eu population 90% of europe

the level of brainwashing its currently going on its incedible and i assume its because they simply cant contain neither russia or china anymore if you have read the recent report(https://www.defense.gov/Portals/1/Do...r%20Report.pdf) about china you will understand why..

they are basicly saying that if china starts an arms race they will leapfrog america and there is nothing they can do about it

Comment

• Originally posted by drax View Post
                  Stronk words, considering that the NATO batallion and high readyness units are placed 100km away from that tasty region, are specially trained for such scenarios and the attacking force would have to ford a river to start the offence.
                  100 km. away and 5 or 6 rivers, bridges between your NATO troops at Tapa and that region but there is only one river and bridge between Russia and region so guess which side will be first in?

Originally posted by Mordoror View Post
                  But if you talk about occupation we are entering another dimension because this will be a battelfield for months between Baltic irregulars.stay behind and probable NATO counter offensive. NATO wouldn't allow a NATO member to be cut from a part of its territory.
                  No way...I don´t think there will be any counter attack by NATO forces at all, the area is well protected from south by large swampy areas and from north by the sea, between them there is only 3-4 km. wide accessible route from west...so it´s kinda insanity to try to conquer it and NATO just have to accept it...?

Comment

• No way...I don´t think there will be any counter attack by NATO forces at all, the area is well protected from south by large swampy areas and from north by the sea, between them there is only 3-4 km. wide accessible route from west...so it´s kinda insanity to try to conquer it and NATO just have to accept it...?
                    You know that today, war is fought in 3 dimensions (4 if you considere the cyberspace)
                    Which means air interdiction for russian forces in the baltic states
                    Northern coast vulnerable to amphibious NATO operation (somehing it is very good at with US, UK and French amphibious corps among others)
                    Possible airborne operation
                    And in any case neutralisation of Kaliningrad before action through the western border
                    Even possibly an operation accross the Finland Gulf

Comment

• Originally posted by Mordoror View Post

You know that today, war is fought in 3 dimensions (4 if you considere the cyberspace)
                      Northern coast vulnerable to amphibious NATO operation (somehing it is very good at with US, UK and French amphibious corps among others)
                      And in any case neutralisation of Kaliningrad before action through the western border
                      are you suggesting that nato should attack a place full of nukes and a big nuclear station?

Comment

• Originally posted by Mordoror View Post

Coincidentally, this year will mark the 100th anniversary of the battle of Moon Sound. The more modern Hochseeflotte took some severe damage facing some old decrepit Russian pre-dreadnoughts, at a time the Russian stae was collapsing or about to do so. Textbook example of the problems faced by a blue water navy in restricted waters IMO.

Comment

• Originally posted by CanisMajor View Post
                          are you suggesting that nato should attack a place full of nukes and a big nuclear station?
                          And why not. At this point we are talking about an all-out war between Russia and NATO

Comment

• Originally posted by Nansouty View Post

Coincidentally, this year will mark the 100th anniversary of the battle of Moon Sound. The more modern Hochseeflotte took some severe damage facing some old decrepit Russian pre-dreadnoughts, at a time the Russian stae was collapsing or about to do so. Textbook example of the problems faced by a blue water navy in restricted waters IMO.
                            I agree that Baltic Sea is not the best area for a Blue water Navy. But it is perfect for a green water navy and amphibs
                            We are not bad as green water sailors

Comment

• How integrated are the Baltic armies? If say such an outbreak occurred, would Lithuania and Latvia send forces to Estonia?

It would be an intense 24-48 hours. Whether NATO would send in new forces to support their multinational battalions/Baltic forces or would they wait until see how much Russia committed to the fight

I wouldn't want WW3 to break out over this. Though the Baltic nations do require and deserve our support.

What I don't get is how bad the lives are for the Russian speaking in the Baltics? are they openly discriminated? or do they just not wish to integrate? Maybe the EU/NATO could have put pressure on the countries to do more for these ethnic Russians thus to rob Putin of his propaganda attempts in the region.

Comment

• Originally posted by 55645 View Post
                                100 km. away and 5 or 6 rivers, bridges between your NATO troops at Tapa and that region but there is only one river and bridge between Russia and region so guess which side will be first in?
                                I think the NATO troops at Tapa will skip dinner so that they could munch on the little green men with ferocious appetite.

Comment

Working...
                                X