The Finnish Defence Forces

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Griffith View Post
    How easy (or not) is it to convert existing PKM's to 7.62 x 51mm ?
    Look no further, because i have the answer to your question

Google: UKM-2000

Comment

• Yep...I know about UKM-2000.......but I assumed they are all new builds?.....is it practical to convert existing PKM's to UKM-2000's?...

Comment

Yep...I know about UKM-2000.......but I assumed they are all new builds?.....is it practical to convert existing PKM's to UKM-2000's?...
        There was a Polish project called PKM/PKMS-NATO and http://www.arsenal-bg.com/c/machine-guns-26
        Last edited by Tantalwz88; 02-01-2017, 04:49 AM.

Comment

How easy (or not) is it to convert existing PKM's to 7.62 x 51mm ?

But why, that's the question.

Comment

• If...(BIG IF)...Finland joined NATO, would they not have to convert to NATO calibres?....

Comment

If...(BIG IF)...Finland joined NATO, would they not have to convert to NATO calibres?....
              Romania still uses 7,62x39mm and a myriad of other Warsaw Pact munitions, Czech republic still uses 12,7x108mm for their HMGs; Poland flies Su-22s and MiG-29s, Croatia - MiG-21s; half the Estonia's artillery is chambered in Soviet 122mm; T-72 variants with 125mm guns are second most numerous tank after Leo 2 in NATO countries; Turkey bought Russian ATGMs....

C&C is far more important fot "NATO compatibility", and Finland is more NATO in that regard than some actual NATO states; switching to 7,62x51mm might make sense, but not mandatory in any way.

Comment

• Its a bit premature to talk about replacing PKM when KvKK 62, Rk 62, Tkiv 85 and FN HP-DA are yet to be fully replaced.
                And with Remington 870 and SVD it has not even started.

Comment

Are there any plans for the replacement of the PKM in Finnish service? I assume they are bought directly from Russia in 7.62x54R so if things got ugly Finland may struggle to keep them servicable...?
                  It hasn't had at least 50 years with the FDF. Everyone knows that the FDF never gets rid of a workable small arm until they get at least 50 years, and preferably 75 or 100 years, of good use from it.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimHPTN View Post

It hasn't had at least 50 years with the FDF. Everyone knows that the FDF never gets rid of a workable small arm until they get at least 50 years, and preferably 75 or 100 years, of good use from it.
                    Tkiv 85 that Gumiman mentioned might be using some 126 year old receivers.

The RK will be in use until there is some real paradigm shift. Like a portable railgun.

Comment

• Originally posted by PEMM View Post

The RK will be in use until there is some real paradigm shift. Like a portable railgun.
                      Very true. Additionally, if they're still competitive for their intended mission, not worn out, and logistically supportable, there's no reason to change. As an aside, I always found it amazing how long the FDF kept the straight up M91 and M39 rifles in war reserve, even though the days of the bolt action as a widely issued rifle had long since passed.

Comment

Did the plan to replace RK by 2035 get scrapped?

Edit: ATM the purchase of optics, nightvision and thermal sights improve infantry firepower more than buying new sights.
                        Last edited by Gumiman; 06-01-2017, 09:47 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

• Originally posted by Gumiman View Post
                          Did the plan to replace RK by 2035 get scrapped?
                          Well, no.

But it will be. And the plan is to either replace or continue the use.

Comment

Well, no.

But it will be. And the plan is to either replace or continue the use.
                            I don't know if thats is feasible without heavy maintenance like swapping barrels which reduces the cost of new rifles in comparison.
                            We might as well build a Rk35 fixing some of the issues of the older models.
                            Last edited by Gumiman; 06-01-2017, 11:12 AM. Reason: addition.

Comment

• The Defence Forces will purchase counter battery radars for the Army. The RFI will be sent out this spring and the radars should be in use by 2020. The system should be modern, compatible with the current and future equipment and be possible to operate by conscripts.

I have twice tried to translate the source, but the forum has crashed and I can't be bothered to do it a third time.
                              http://www.hs.fi/kotimaa/art-2000005...gn=tweet-share

Comment

• Originally posted by Anzu View Post

I have twice tried to translate the source, but the forum has crashed and I can't be bothered to do it a third time.
                                http://www.hs.fi/kotimaa/art-2000005...gn=tweet-share
                                An article in English.

According to a report in Thursday’s Helsingin Sanomat, Finnish Defence Forces may soon get a completely new counter artillery radar system, an untried system for domestic armed forces.
                                The daily wrote that officials have observed the effectiveness of the system in targeting and destroying enemy artillery and projectile launchers during the ongoing conflict in Ukraine. Russia-backed separatists been using the system in Ukraine.
                                http://yle.fi/uutiset/osasto/news/da...system/9399654

On other news:

A new form of bounding mine has been developed and tested by the Finnish Defense Forces. The device is set to replace current land mines, which are prohibited by the Ottawa Treaty of 2011.

The device is based on an earlier model of propelled anti-personnel mine. When tripped, the new mine launches the body of the mine into the air and sprays fragmentation at roughly waist height, utilising a top-down vertical destructive force rather than a horizontal or bottom-up blast as in regular land mines.
                                http://yle.fi/uutiset/osasto/news/fi..._mines/9392552

Mines to be replaced by mines.

Comment

Working...
                                X