Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Zealand Defence Force

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Yeah, with the mech/motorised thing, I know at least one of the M113 mounted battalions have mortar carriers, I'm assuming the motorised units will cobble together a way to mount the platoon.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by gafkiwi View Post
      Looks like the is P-8A is expected to be named as the replacement for the P-3 Orions.
      https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/pol...post.105183850
      As I understand it, it would have been unlikely the P8 wouldn't have been selected.

      Comment


      • Ah forgot a bout the re role's for the RAR's. I guess the Land 400 outcome may change it a bit more too for the Mech Bn's.

        Comment


        • Yeah those new busses will have a big cannon which will be a bit of a game changer.

          Comment


          • They could go full retard and have a Mortar Pl based on the same wagons with 120mm AMOS or NEMO turrets on them. Less work and more time to concentrate on sports.

            Comment


            • Good plan, footy is important.

              Comment


              • P8s are confirmed and also confirmed is 5sqn moving to Ohakea. I wouldn't be surprised if they move everything there eventually, close Whenuapai and demolish it for housing.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Te Zorro View Post
                  P8s are confirmed and also confirmed is 5sqn moving to Ohakea. I wouldn't be surprised if they move everything there eventually, close Whenuapai and demolish it for housing.

                  With the whole hobsonville development just across the road and the whole West Harbor development boom that looks likely on the cards. Being on the flight path has its perks - saw a flight of two hercs over Browns Bay and an aussie C-17 burst through the clouds over Rothesay; back in the day I got to see skyhawks screaming over my high school (visitors from Ohakea). But it gets noisy at times.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Te Zorro View Post
                    P8s are confirmed and also confirmed is 5sqn moving to Ohakea. I wouldn't be surprised if they move everything there eventually, close Whenuapai and demolish it for housing.
                    That was the plan sometime back and then it died off. Whenuapai would be worth a fair bit of cash on the market it would be a long process to sell off given the whoops they need to jump through. I don't know how 5 Sqn would take moving from Auckland to a semi rural smaller center, less places for their wives (and some of them) to strut around in active wear sipping on soy milk frappuccino's and to park up his and hers Audi's. They will need to do a lot of work on Ohakea though, especially with the Singaporeans looking to base fast jets out of there as well

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by gafkiwi View Post
                      That was the plan sometime back and then it died off. Whenuapai would be worth a fair bit of cash on the market it would be a long process to sell off given the whoops they need to jump through. I don't know how 5 Sqn would take moving from Auckland to a semi rural smaller center, less places for their wives (and some of them) to strut around in active wear sipping on soy milk frappuccino's and to park up his and hers Audi's. They will need to do a lot of work on Ohakea though, especially with the Singaporeans looking to base fast jets out of there as well
                      The article I saw mentioned they didn't do probably because Key was the MP for the area. I think it also mentioned that Ohakea needs another hanger, a sim building and something else, I forget. I think the SG jets are going into one of the old 2 or 75 hangers?

                      Comment


                      • The may go there to begin with but if there is anything I have noticed about the Singaporeans is the don't like second hand, so if they do end up in the old hangers, they will soon be better than anything "New" the RNZAF can build. Ohakea has slowly been replacing old infrastructure as it is, so long as they have the re-estate they will get their new facilities.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by gafkiwi View Post
                          The may go there to begin with but if there is anything I have noticed about the Singaporeans is the don't like second hand, so if they do end up in the old hangers, they will soon be better than anything "New" the RNZAF can build. Ohakea has slowly been replacing old infrastructure as it is, so long as they have the re-estate they will get their new facilities.
                          Fair but those hangers are heritage listed so good luck getting new hangers that aren't refurbed. Maybe if the Singaporeans put an investment in?

                          http://www.heritage.org.nz/the-list/details/9009

                          Comment


                          • Have to admit though, after working on the doors at the Wigram hangers they sure new how to build them back then.

                            Comment


                            • They will keep the old hangers. At the moment they are mainly seem to before the trainer's and general overflow. 3Sqn got their brand new set up for the 90's and the 109's. They need facilities to do maintenance work on the larger aircraft like the C130's so their is a use for them. They will also be a money making machine if the Singaporeans do end up based out of there. The Air Force could buy up some of the surrounding land they contaminated with fire retardant foam if they are running out of space for facilities.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X