No announcement yet.

New Zealand Defence Force

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What ever they get, hopefully it will have enough depth/numbers and reliability to maintain capability. General rule of thumb, If you are planning to use RNZAF Boeings or C130's, have a back up plan.

Comment

• Originally posted by Te Zorro View Post
      China won't care about us buying off the Japanese.
      Agreed.

But I don't see Japanese senior leadership visiting NZ as often as Chinese senior leadership.

15 years ago NZ was dependent on Japanese hot money searching for yield. 15 years later it's Chinese money and internet backbone hardware

So there's soft power economic and cyber influence to at least keep in growing consideration.

Comment

• Originally posted by gafkiwi View Post
        What ever they get, hopefully it will have enough depth/numbers and reliability to maintain capability. General rule of thumb, If you are planning to use RNZAF Boeings or C130's, have a back up plan.
        P.A.C.E.(R.)

Primary

Alternate

Contingency

Emergency

RNZAF airframe delayed for a minimum of 2-3 days.

On a serious note, it sounds like our RNZAF capability on maintaining Hercs is pretty world class.

I wonder what the decision making process is regarding that particular human capital capability?

I wonder if switching to another airframe results in losing most of it, or is most of it highly transferable?

Comment

• Looks like the same as other NZDF tenders, Media or parties making comments prior to any actual decisions etc being made.
          http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/indu...aircraft-order
          Kind of like the reports of other kit being selected before the trials took place, SCAR then 416 then Steyr A3 being selected for the Steyr replacement

Comment

• Originally posted by Flagg View Post
            On a serious note, it sounds like our RNZAF capability on maintaining Hercs is pretty world class.
            It is, I guess not being able to rely on new kit and funding leads to innovative thinking. Also helps have a long history with the frames and knowing them intimately, much the same with the
            UH-1H. I hope we don't loose to much skill going to more hands off computer diagnostic work.

Comment

It is, I guess not being able to rely on new kit and funding leads to innovative thinking. Also helps have a long history with the frames and knowing them intimately, much the same with the
              UH-1H. I hope we don't loose to much skill going to more hands off computer diagnostic work.
              Or contracting out the capability.

For all the cr@p I give The RNZAF, I've had exposure to a fair few in recent years.

They've got some very smart and motivated pers.

I just hope they buy non EU kit......maintaining Ferraris is harder and pricier than maintaining Hiluxes.

Comment

• Following the NH90, It looks like the Air Force head shed still has "Bling eye's" for big flashy toy's. They lack the depth for higher level assets and the coin to be buying the latest and greatest. Would be better to go for a larger mixed fleet of C-130J's and Smaller C-27 type aircraft better suited to our region and needs to give us depth rather than a couple big air frames with little to no depth.

Comment

Following the NH90, It looks like the Air Force head shed still has "Bling eye's" for big flashy toy's. They lack the depth for higher level assets and the coin to be buying the latest and greatest. Would be better to go for a larger mixed fleet of C-130J's and Smaller C-27 type aircraft better suited to our region and needs to give us depth rather than a couple big air frames with little to no depth.
                  I would agree.

While it would have been nice to purchase 1 or at most 2 C17s to work within an ANZAC strategic airlift squadron, hopefully the decision is to go with J model Hercs and Spartans.

The Japanese stuff maybe as a possible alternative due to Orion replacement needs.

I'm just not a fan of the Euro stuff. Costs are high and hiccups sound too frequent.

Comment

• Nicky Hager alleges SAS committed war crimes in Afghanistan.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/poli...in-afghanistan
                    http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/poli...s-need-answers

Hager has a long history of taking 2+2 and getting 5.24 or 22.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheKiwi View Post
                      Nicky Hager alleges SAS committed war crimes in Afghanistan.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/poli...in-afghanistan
                      http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/poli...s-need-answers

Hager has a long history of taking 2+2 and getting 5.24 or 22.
                      There's a few places in Afghanistan I'd like to leave him if it wasn't for the fact soldiers lives would be at risk being sent to retrieve him.
                      Last edited by gafkiwi; 21-03-2017, 08:19 PM.

Comment

• I take it my first assumption of him talking out his bunghole is right.

Comment

• He is actually a bloody good researcher and what he digs up is correct more often than it's incorrect. I think he does have some issues with his analysis though and he doesn't always look at what's in front of him in context. I don't generally like his conclusions but I'm grateful there is someone like him around- they're sorely needed in a democracy.

It seems that Mapp has already contradicted Defence- no real surprise there since NZDF have been caught in the past making up shit. The truth is always somewhere in the middle.

Comment

• Originally posted by Te Zorro View Post
                            He is actually a bloody good researcher and what he digs up is correct more often than it's incorrect. I think he does have some issues with his analysis though and he doesn't always look at what's in front of him in context. I don't generally like his conclusions but I'm grateful there is someone like him around- they're sorely needed in a democracy.

It seems that Mapp has already contradicted Defence- no real surprise there since NZDF have been caught in the past making up shit. The truth is always somewhere in the middle.
                            I wouldn't say he's a a good researcher as the vast majority of his correct info is open source he deliberately repackages and regurgitates to the masses as his own work or research. He is very selective in the info he chooses to use and will ignore anything no matter how factual that doesn't suit his angle, in my opinion making him no better than most other media.

If he pulled his head out of his arse and presented facts he had and didn't try to surround them in 98% fluff and theory he may actually get taken seriously by more people.

Comment

• The usual ambulance chasers crawl out from their swamp.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/9079...d-run-sas-raid

I wonder if they've noticed what happened to Phil Shiner in the UK.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheKiwi View Post
                                The usual ambulance chasers crawl out from their swamp.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/9079...d-run-sas-raid

I wonder if they've noticed what happened to Phil Shiner in the UK.

FFS.

So many fathers/brothers in Afghanistan would gladly trade their daughters/sisters for a donkey or a goat.

This is going to be a long-drawn out Afghan Lotto for compensation.

I would pay good money to learn the coms chain on how the village/families/lawyers all got together. Now THAT would be a very interesting story.

Comment

Working...
                                X