X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Zealand Defence Force

Two new Boeing C17s to cost NZDF $600m

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/n...ectid=11433122

2 really isn't enough. 3 (or 4) would be better just so that one being down for maintenance doesn't cripple us.

Comment

The C17 is pretty awesome........but they are NOT cheap.

I wonder if they're looking at C130J Super Hercs(say 3 of them) and maybe find 3 more lower hour/longer lived C130s

Comment

Expats... don't you have a defence force?

Comment

Originally posted by digrar View Post
          Expats... don't you have a defence force?
          We sure do!

But these C130 Herc and 757 replacements could be pretty interesting.

In terms of ground support equipment......IF it's expensive....I could imagine a joint ANZAC strategic lift squadron, where NZ contributes 2 C17 airframes and some pilots/crews/ground crew in exchange for XXX number of annual fleet hours.

Maybe once every 4-5 rotations Aussie let's a Kiwi run the squadron.

And then you try to keep a few new or "new and used" C130s, maybe a few new Js for the regional medium lift stuff organic to NZDF rather than ANZAC shared resource.

Comment

Well, the Royal Air Force is due to bin the C130J's in just a few years (2018-2022). Personally, I think around a 1/3 will be retained for UKSF..?

Maybe the NZDF could make enquiries about them?

Comment

Why are they dropping them? Not up to expectations? I spoke to a guy from UK MOD once who came through, reckoned they didn't cope well in Afghanistan. Accuracy? F6.

Comment

I'm not R.A.F. so cannot comment how they coped.

In the late 1960's the R.A.F. ordered 66x C130K's. After 30 years service those that remained were tired and an order for 25x C130J's occurred around 1999ish. A few C130K's were kept on to support the UKSF and Airborne roles.

However, Afghanistan and Iraq occurred and airframes were overtasked and over burdened in order to support the airbridge. This on top of all the other global committments just wore them out.

Old C130K's have been retired for at least a couple of years.Some were sold to Austria and Mexico and continue to fly. Ex R.A.F. C130J's could be ideal for the kiwis after refurbishment and for a bargain basement price...

The C130J's will be superceded by the A400M - Atlas C1 of which the R.A.F. has 22 on order.

Downsizer is an R.A.F. type, he may be able to testify in more depth ? Don't know if he's swallowed hi red pill yet, though?

Comment

That actually sounds like a pretty good option if the price is right......3-5 second hand J Model Herc.

But I would think it may make sense for NZ to consider an investment in 1-2 C17s for a joint ANZAC strategic airlift squadron.

Comment

Yeah rather than bare the weight of the sole purchase and lack of redundancy of 2 C17, provide operational funding, Air/Ground crew to the ADF and have an MOU for OPCON/TACON and international tasking priority for airframes and air time. Sit on the fence for a while longer and see how things go with other airframes A400 etc. No more buying of new untested, unproven kit of the rack as whilst not rushing into buying everyones seconds

Comment

As we are between Poppy Day and ANZAC Day, I thought this would be relevant:

http://tvnz.co.nz/seven-sharp/song-s...-video-6291422

Aaron's a top fella, I had the chance to work with him on a Colour Guard a few months back.

He's also one of the key players in making Grunt's Grog(raising money for Fallen Heroes Trust):

http://www.gruntsgrog.co.nz/
                      Last edited by Flagg; 19-04-2015, 09:15 PM.

Comment

Yeah thanks to him many a long night in the Gunbay at the sch drinking Grunts Grog Beer and Port

Comment

Originally posted by Flagg View Post
                          Two new Boeing C17s to cost NZDF $600m

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/n...ectid=11433122

The Capital budget for the Future Air Mobility Capability Project is 2.18 Billion that is more than enough to purchase 2x C-17 for the Strategic Airlift component & a 1 for 1 replacement of the C-130H with the C-130J model plus spares & support, however we do not know the through life support cost as of yet. Also potentially the tactical component of the review could also be meet by a rotary wing assert like the CH-47F things are looking up for NZDF.

Comment

Originally posted by cadre02 View Post

The Capital budget for the Future Air Mobility Capability Project is 2.18 Billion that is more than enough to purchase 2x C-17 for the Strategic Airlift component & a 1 for 1 replacement of the C-130H with the C-130J model plus spares & support, however we do not know the through life support cost as of yet. Also potentially the tactical component of the review could also be meet by a rotary wing assert like the CH-47F things are looking up for NZDF.
                            Hopefully some good choices are made.

I've heard what I believe to be reliable stories about a large batch of Blackhawks offered cheap while we ordered unproven NH90's that cost a jillion dollars an hour to run.

Comment

Originally posted by Flagg View Post

Hopefully some good choices are made.

I've heard what I believe to be reliable stories about a large batch of Blackhawks offered cheap while we ordered unproven NH90's that cost a jillion dollars an hour to run.
                              I hear the very same thing from several different sources, story is that we could have had something like 2.5 blackhawks for every NH90, I guess that its just the same old red tab officer pogue bureaucracy mentality of "I will make this decision, acquire this item/strategy/IMP some fool/take away some of those sweet perks OR's love so much/(add cringe worthy decision here) then my posting at this position will end and some other Kent will have to deal with the rubbish that everything has fallen to. I don't care I got my tick in the box saying I can organise grandiose plans and got a sweet promotion too cos I smoked pole to the max.

Rinse and repeat

Comment

Working...
                              X