Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comment

• Israel raises concerns over F-35 jet delivery to Turkey

A senior Israeli defence official told Hareetz that Israel would like to remain the only country in the Middle East with the F-35 in order to keep its military qualitative edge.

Comment

• The Joint Strike Missile is getting closer to the end of the development phase. The video shows a missile that is launched more than 200 km from the target. The original target position is where the container is, but the seeker identified the real target, 100 meters from that position.
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjsRNjk9ahY

Comment

• Work on Dutch F-35s kicks off in Italy

https://www.defensenews.com/global/e...-off-in-italy/

The aircraft is the ninth of the Netherlands’ order of 37 F-35As. The first eight are being assembled at Lockheed Martin’s Fort Worth facility in the U.S.

The first Dutch F-35 assembled in the U.S. will roll off the Fort Worth line in January 2019 and will head to Luke Air Base for pilot training, said Plankman. “Six or seven of those assembled in the U.S. will go to Luke,” he added.

Under a deal struck with the Italian government, the remaining 29 Dutch aircraft will all be assembled at Cameri, which is owned by the Italian government and operated by Italian state-controled defense firm Leonardo in partnership with Lockheed Martin.

Comment

• Senate takes the first step to temporarily block F-35 deliveries to Turkey

The U.S. Senate took the first step late Monday to block the delivery of F-35 warplanes to Turkey with an amendment within a $716 billion defense policy bill backing President Donald Trump's call for a bigger, stronger military but setting up a potential battle with the White House over Chinese telecommunications firm ZTE Corp.
            The bill containing the amendment that aims to prohibit F-35 sales to Turkey, National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA) still needs to be passed by the House and is not expected to become law until later in the summer.
            Before it can become law, the bill must be reconciled with one already passed by the House of Representatives. That compromise measure must then be passed by both chambers and signed into law by Trump.
            https://www.dailysabah.com/defense/2...ries-to-turkey

Unexpected, but i dont see it to go further

Comment

• Originally posted by N-rg View Post
              Senate takes the first step to temporarily block F-35 deliveries to Turkey

https://www.dailysabah.com/defense/2...ries-to-turkey

Unexpected, but i dont see it to go further
              Given that the House of Representatives has apparently already passed a similar measure, this is something that actually could go forward.

The first 'delivery' to Turkey will happen on Thursday, but keep in mind that it's only a 'delivery' in name only; the planes stay in the US for the year or more that it takes for Turkish pilots to be trained on the new fighter. The US could easily impound the 'Turkish' jets.

I would agree that the goal here is not to block the sale, per se; it's just about making sure that Raytheon gets the Turkish air defense contract. The problem here is that its a bit of a doomed quest, because the Turks chose the S-400 as much to mend relations with the Russians as they did because of its technical capabilities. So, even if this whole brouhaha is simply meant to pressure the Turks to 'buy American', it might still end up killing the deal, because the Turks can't be dissuaded from making diplomatic overtures that they consider essential in order to maintain their position in Syria.
              Last edited by AAMC; 27-06-2018, 07:50 PM. Reason: Repeat of info. in post above. D'oh.

Comment

• todays lockheed-martin rollout celebration / turkish f35

left:
                http://www.sage.tubitak.gov.tr/en/ur...idance-kit-hgk

right:
                http://www.sage.tubitak.gov.tr/en/ur...nd-missile-som

[turkish defense industries research and development]

and lockheed-martin's video:
                https://mobile.twitter.com/Tyrannosu...170176/video/1

Comment

• The no to Turkey was passed by a huge majority in the Senate and the House will probably follow it up later in the year. This is a HUGE potential problem as it seems to include Turkish F-35/F-135 parts production, big fuselage composites and engine parts included, plus ongoing engine maintenance. This could cause J-I-T stock shortfalls as L-M race to find alternative manufacturers and test the parts.

A big screwup by the L-M lobbying team and I thought that the Congress was under the control of the MIC. But perhaps really on the money was Post 409 above by heiliger_geist

Comment

• Originally posted by JohninMK View Post
                    The no to Turkey was passed by a huge majority in the Senate and the House will probably follow it up later in the year. This is a HUGE potential problem as it seems to include Turkish F-35/F-135 parts production, big fuselage composites and engine parts included, plus ongoing engine maintenance. This could cause J-I-T stock shortfalls as L-M race to find alternative manufacturers and test the parts.

A big screwup by the L-M lobbying team and I thought that the Congress was under the control of the MIC. But perhaps really on the money was Post 409 above by heiliger_geist
                    Is there no redundancy in the program? The impression that I always had was that L-M bought foreign suppliers into the program, but only for foreign production aircraft (e.g. Turkish parts for Turkish planes, etc.). I could be wrong about that.

In any event, there's plenty of time for Turkey and the US to make nice. There's a good chance that Erdogan, having assumed his role as president / de-facto dictator, will now feel safe enough to lay off slagging the US. And keep in mind that all sorts of US arms deals have been embargoed at one point or another, only to be delivered later on. Pakistan eventually laid hands on most of the F-16s that were embargoed after its first nuke test; Egypt eventually got the F-16 order that was frozen after the 2013 coup.

Even if L-M were to somehow lose Turkey, there are still some other big customers out there to chase. India has pretty much given up on the Su-57 derivative, so look out for a F-35 order from that quarter in the future, assuming that New Delhi can scrape together the money for it. It's within the realm of possibility that the US and Russia might simply swap customers - Turkey picks up Sukhois, and India goes for the Lockheed plane.

Comment

• Originally posted by AAMC View Post

Is there no redundancy in the program? The impression that I always had was that L-M bought foreign suppliers into the program, but only for foreign production aircraft (e.g. Turkish parts for Turkish planes, etc.). I could be wrong about that.

In any event, there's plenty of time for Turkey and the US to make nice. There's a good chance that Erdogan, having assumed his role as president / de-facto dictator, will now feel safe enough to lay off slagging the US. And keep in mind that all sorts of US arms deals have been embargoed at one point or another, only to be delivered later on. Pakistan eventually laid hands on most of the F-16s that were embargoed after its first nuke test; Egypt eventually got the F-16 order that was frozen after the 2013 coup.

Even if L-M were to somehow lose Turkey, there are still some other big customers out there to chase. India has pretty much given up on the Su-57 derivative, so look out for a F-35 order from that quarter in the future, assuming that New Delhi can scrape together the money for it. It's within the realm of possibility that the US and Russia might simply swap customers - Turkey picks up Sukhois, and India goes for the Lockheed plane.
                      Turkey provides some parts as sole producer and they are for all F-35.

F-35 is not offered to India. LM proposed F-16 but have to win tender with 5 other competitors.

Comment

• Originally posted by Guma View Post

F-35 is not offered to India. LM proposed F-16 but have to win tender with 5 other competitors.
                        There have been no official tender or negotiations, and there probably won't be for some time, but there are a lot of hints being dropped as of late about the possibility of a future deal. Consider, for instance:

Report: India Requests Classified F-35A Joint Strike Fighter Briefing

U.S. Pacific Command Boss Mentions Potential Sale Of F-35 To India

You are right insofar as the F-35 is not part of the current competition, but that grew out of the failed MMRCA competition, which was designed to complement a future stealth fighter, not substitute for it. The idea back in the heady days of the MMRCA is that India would procure the competition winner to fill current and expected shortfalls in India Air Force fighter strength, and then adopt the FGFA (Indianized Su-57) down the road when it was ready. I'm pretty sure that the idea for the new competition is the same, considering that the original MMRCA deal crashed, burned, and failed to fill the IAF's requirement.

Additionally, part of Lockheed's pitch to India is that the upgrades in the F-16 Block 70's are heavily leveraged from the F-35 program. There's the standard sales pitch of 'advanced technology' there, but also a wink and a nudge that, if India were to adopt the F-16 now, they'd be well placed to induct the F-35 in the future because of parts and systems commonality.

Comment

• Originally posted by AAMC View Post

I'm going to make a wild guess that Turkey can't be cut out of the F35 program, without delaying significant portions of the project for at least one to two years.

Comment

• Originally posted by merkwurdig View Post

I'm going to make a wild guess that Turkey can't be cut out of the F35 program, without delaying significant portions of the project for at least one to two years.
                            Doesn't seem to worry Congress.

Comment

• DOD opposes removing Turkey from F-35 programme, citing supply chain disruption

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/ar...me-cit-450558/

Comment

• meanwhile..

turkish pilot h.oktay is about to have some fun..

Comment

Working...
                                X