United States Marines

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hollis View Post
    A friend who was at Dai Do and at the reunion where Gen. Mattis spoke sent this link to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqqy...&feature=share
    Great video, ....Mattis is an impressive speaker! That was only about 8 days ago.

Comment

Somewhat OT, but I've worked with the US Army, USAF, USN and Marines in Iraq, Afghan, and the States. By far the most fun were the Marines!

Comment

Originally posted by downsizer View Post
        Somewhat OT, but I've worked with the US Army, USAF, USN and Marines in Iraq, Afghan, and the States. By far the most fun were the Marines!
        well I was in the US Army, my son in law was in the US Navy, my brother was in the US Army.....etc.. I have know USAF guys and still know some, as well as Marines, and these guys I did not know, but for "fun" you should have been with these 4 US marines as they prepared to invade Saipan (Mariana Islands) in the Pacific in WW2.......

Comment

Great picture. Be interesting to hear there stories were they still around.

Comment

The US Marine Corps is scheduled to take delivery of its first production version of the CH-53K King Stallion from Sikorsky early next week.

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/ar...operat-448542/

The heavy-lift helicopter is to be received at MCAS New River, North Carolina. At the base, the USMC said it plans to put the aircraft through its Supportability Test Plan by conducting a logistics assessment on the maintenance, sustainment and overall support of the King Stallion.

Comment

Originally posted by downsizer View Post
              Marines are pretty great if I say so myself. Great sense of humor, gung ho attitude when danger arises, expecting to always do more with less, always laughing at your own misery. Pretty great bunch to go to war with, I don't think I would feel the same going to war with soldiers instead.

Comment

https://www.marinecorpstimes.com/new...-sniper-rifle/

The Marine Corps has selected the scope for its newest sniper rifle ― the Nightforce Advanced Tactical Riflescope. Marine snipers could have them in their inventory as soon as June, a company official said.

The rifle and optic are major upgrades to the platform they replace ― the M40 ― which has been in service since the Vietnam War.

Comment

Wow!

https://www.militarytimes.com/off-du...ys-own-weapon/

The Marines of Weapons Company, 3rd Battalion, 7th Marines were on a mounted patrol June 18, 2010, in Afghanistan’s Helmand province when their convoy was ambushed and came under intense enemy fire from 15 Taliban fighters, a scene then-company commander Maj. Carin Calvin described as “a hornet’s nest.”

Without hesitation, then-Cpl. Clifford Wooldridge, who was serving as vehicle commander at the time of the ambush, dismounted with his squad to maneuver into an offensive position.

Comment

Marines receive new advanced air defense system as air threats loom

https://www.marinecorpstimes.com/new...-threat-looms/

On Thursday Northrop Grumman delivered the first Ground/Air Task-Oriented Radar, or G/ATOR, which incorporates a new advanced high-powered antenna technology known as GaN.

Comment

https://www.marinecorpstimes.com/new...ts-boomsticks/

Carl Gustaf for every squad and an improved anti-tank rocket launcher with no back blast — these are on the Corps’ wish list as the Marines continue to retool its grunts. The multimission 84 mm recoilless rifle known as the Carl Gustaf can hit targets at nearly 1,000 meters and comes with a wide selection of rounds for bunker busting to taking out armored vehicles.

The Corps plans to order 1,073 of the launchers to kit up every squad in the Corps, according to Barbara Hamby, a spokeswoman for Marine Corps Systems Command.

Comment

A true battle winner 😊 man portable artillery

Comment

Originally posted by haze17 View Post
                          https://www.marinecorpstimes.com/new...ts-boomsticks/

The Corps plans to order 1,073 of the launchers to kit up every squad in the Corps, according to Barbara Hamby, a spokeswoman for Marine Corps Systems Command.
                          Seems strange with the emphasis to be going lighter with the likes of IAR in the Marine Infantry squad only to be plugging in a heavier weapon that requires a 2 man crew to operate and others to carry ammo. Also not helped by the fact they are looking at dropping one per from the org and one guy becoming a "Squad systems operator". A lot of toys and weapons and not a lot of Marines to operate them.
                          In a weapons squad/support section at Platoon level would make a lot more sense. We will occasionally task down a pair of 84's to a Platoon for specific tasks, be it with crew or crewed from the Platoon. It takes a whole section (8-9 pers) to keep one 84mm fed for a short time with the variety of bomb natures needed. Sometime ago, I ran a Coy support section with 2 84's and 2 GPMG's in the SF role. On top of their own load (3 days self sufficient) everyone carried at least 2 84 bombs each and a belt of 7.62. With an entire Inf Company providing security, it was achievable. For it to work for the Marines,they must be slaved to wagons/mobility.
                          A very good highly capable bit of kit, but used wrong will become a burden more than an asset.

Comment

Originally posted by gafkiwi View Post
                            Seems strange with the emphasis to be going lighter with the likes of IAR in the Marine Infantry squad only to be plugging in a heavier weapon that requires a 2 man crew to operate and others to carry ammo. Also not helped by the fact they are looking at dropping one per from the org and one guy becoming a "Squad systems operator". A lot of toys and weapons and not a lot of Marines to operate them.
                            In a weapons squad/support section at Platoon level would make a lot more sense. We will occasionally task down a pair of 84's to a Platoon for specific tasks, be it with crew or crewed from the Platoon. It takes a whole section (8-9 pers) to keep one 84mm fed for a short time with the variety of bomb natures needed. Sometime ago, I ran a Coy support section with 2 84's and 2 GPMG's in the SF role. On top of their own load (3 days self sufficient) everyone carried at least 2 84 bombs each and a belt of 7.62. With an entire Inf Company providing security, it was achievable. For it to work for the Marines,they must be slaved to wagons/mobility.
                            A very good highly capable bit of kit, but used wrong will become a burden more than an asset.
                            My expectation is that they want to have enough launchers available to kit every squad, not that "CG Gunner" and/or "CG Assistant" will become permanent billets in the standard Rifle Squad TO&E.

My guess is that each Battalion/Company/Platoon will be issued X number of CGs to issue at their discretion. As a result, you may see them getting handed out to squads for special missions, or some units may opt to recreate dedicated rocket squads/teams within Weapons Platoons (despite the Corps having eliminated the 0351 Assaultman MOS).

Comment

Originally posted by Ratamacue View Post
                              My expectation is that they want to have enough launchers available to kit every squad, not that "CG Gunner" and/or "CG Assistant" will become permanent billets in the standard Rifle Squad TO&E.

My guess is that each Battalion/Company/Platoon will be issued X number of CGs to issue at their discretion. As a result, you may see them getting handed out to squads for special missions, or some units may opt to recreate dedicated rocket squads/teams within Weapons Platoons (despite the Corps having eliminated the 0351 Assaultman MOS).
                              Cheers for that, was thinking something along those lines was the intent or plan. We run thing in a similar way with them. Must be a lot of 84's getting produced with this buy on top of the one for the US Army at 1 per Inf Platoon. Whats the chances both services getting their sh*t in one sock and getting the same package/manufacturer or will we see some interference at higher level to share it about.

Comment

Makes sense to have them in the armory but necessarily make them a permanent billet. We had MK-32s in my platoon but there was no designated MK-32 grenadier billet.

Comment

Working...
                                X