Yet another corridor I’m not allowed down

Full Resolution

Full Resolution

Full Resolution

Personal reading/****ing space

Full Resolution

One of possibly several gyms

Full Resolution

One of four 25mm remote stations for *basic* point defence. Where is CWIS/CRAM for the more serious threats I wonder? Perhaps these ships will never operate in a threatening environment? If so, why bother at all? Shall we permanently attach a frigate/destroyer to its waist forever? Wouldn’t it be cheaper just to give it an organic form of self protection? This aspect really bothers me.

Full Resolution

Full Resolution

A view of Hobart from the sb bow

Full Resolution

Full Resolution

Full Resolution

Full Resolution

Full Resolution

Comment

Full Resolution

The room behind that observation bubble on deck at the front of the tower. Appreciated the message on the back wall.

Full Resolution

Full Resolution

A very fine kitchen. So much gear here. So much food production. Very deluxe. More below.

Full Resolution

Full Resolution

Full Resolution

Full Resolution

Full Resolution

Full Resolution

Random internal

Full Resolution

Random internal

Full Resolution

Random internal

Full Resolution

Random internal with a sneaky pack of PJ pop

Full Resolution

Full Resolution

Comment

Bow end of heavy deck looking aft

Full Resolution

Full Resolution

Bottom end of aforementioned

Full Resolution

Ramp leading up to hanger/light

Full Resolution

One of two sb side loading ramps

Full Resolution

Full Resolution

Popeye help? Lots of these about

Full Resolution

Dock

Full Resolution

LLC in dock. Capacity for four + four RHIB

Full Resolution

Full Resolution

Full Resolution

Take a moment to appreciate the rope-i-gami

Full Resolution

Full Resolution

18T

Full Resolution

Full Resolution

Comment

Full Resolution

Diver team store and workshop. The guys on board were genuinely excited about this. Their own personal workshop, store and resupply area. I’d never really given it much thought before but I suppose on a lot of other RAN vessels they’d basically have to work around everything else happening on the ship. Nice digs. More pics below.

Full Resolution

Full Resolution

Full Resolution

Gas bottle refilling

Full Resolution

Full Resolution

Full Resolution

Full Resolution

Full Resolution

Ship band going at some blues rock

Full Resolution

Full Resolution

Full Resolution

Port bow 25

Full Resolution

Full Resolution

Lovely Hobart, the host city

Full Resolution

Cheers.

Comment

Thanks for reposting those here. She looks sweet!

Comment

Excellent pictures , thanks for posting.

Comment

Good stuff! Thanks for sharing them here.

Comment

Great stuff Toryu! Excellent pictures and agree with your point about the self defence capability. I would have hoped that Canberra and Adelaide would have a more robust self defence capability than a slew of 25mm mounts. I sure hope that the RAN is not still following the old mantra from the 80's when I was in of "fitted for but not with". How we hated that excuse for not equipping the ships properly in those days.

Comment

toryu Thanks for bring these over.

I guess it she is still under going sea trials as it seems from the pictures she is completely empty apart from 1x LLC, about 4x helos. 1x RIB and some ancillary equipment.
                    Did they provide any information on the current status of the vessel?
                    Last edited by Elliott; 29-04-2015, 08:17 PM. Reason: Thanks

Comment

Great pictures Toryu, thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Elliott View Post
                        toryuI guess it she is still under going sea trials as it seems from the pictures she is completely empty apart from 1x LLC, about 4x helos. 1x RIB and some ancillary equipment.
                        Did they provide any information on the current status of the vessel?
                        Partly, yes. I don't think they're testing the ships performance at this point as much as they are testing how everything else interfaces and works aboard it. She is currently fully crewed by personnel from all three services, unlike the very early sea trials conducted by contractors. It'd really just be just a matter of training and trying out these new abilities in various environments.

Part of the reason she was this far south was for the colder weather. From the local paper:

The crew has been involved in cold air flight tests in Storm Bay during the past fortnight, completing 800 helicopter deck landings as well as numerous boat launches from its lower well dock hangar.
                        Storm Bay is the entrance to the Derwent river that Hobart is situated on. It faces almost directly south and cops a lot of cold southerly winds coming up from Antarctica. The waters also tend to get pretty rough so I suppose it is also a good spot for high sea state testing.

There were only two Seahawks and two Taipans on board. All the aircraft handling gear seems to be there and ready for a full load (two MANTIS and assorted small flight deck vehicles that are quite foreign to me). It's really just missing the remaining rotary complement and a bunch of 2RAR guys and vehicles to offload on some unsuspecting shoreline. I reckon it'd be safe to assume any full scale training with 2RAR will take place closer to where they are based in Townsville. Probably Shoalwater or Cowley?

I'm fairly sure all the LLC's have been delivered to the ADF, but again, they'd be somewhere farther north, training hard and they'd only really need one to test while it was down here.

Hopefully someone on this board who's more in the know might be able to tell us more about 2RAR's progress.

Comment

First delivery of CH-47F Helicopters for the Army

http://australianaviation.com.au/201...-army-service/

Comment

Love the Photos toryu, first class! And she is looking great

Comment

Captain Harry Wales training with Aussie SF...

http://video.defence.gov.au/play/9uZ...R22Sr-TfJnN1cW

http://images.defence.gov.au/fotoweb...20151275%29%29

Comment

The Longest War: The Australian Army in Afghanistan

Preview:

View this new online documentary/video presentation:

http://army.gov.au/The-Longest-War/

Note:
                                There's a video playlist button on the right side of the video window and additional images, videos, info. when you click on the "Explore Chapter" button on the lower left side.

Comment

Working...
                                X