Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Australian Defence Force

http://www.skynews.com.au/news/top-s...-for-iraq.html

Brisbane based diggers and their Kiwi counterparts have started deploying to Iraq.

Australia’s most decorated canine war hero, Sarbi, has died after a short battle with brain cancer
    Rest in peace Sarbi.

http://news.defence.gov.au/2015/03/3...nine-has-died/

This happened a couple of weeks ago. She had a remarkable story

Comment

I hope its more than one tour.....do not want to miss out!

Comment

We're in for 24 months, subject to change...

Comment

Originally posted by 2/1Kiwi View Post
          I hope its more than one tour.....do not want to miss out!
          I thought you'd be lining yourself up 3rd or 4th rotation already with a few prelim strikes

Comment

Im sorted bro! Just has to keep going. And if not got another sandy place lined up!

Got a favor too, check work emails Mon.

Comment

Captain Harry Wales has spent his first two weeks the Australian Army with the North-West Mobile Force (NORFORCE) and the 1st Brigade.

His program included time in an Armed Reconnaissance Helicopter (ARH) Tiger.
              http://news.defence.gov.au/2015/04/1...n-the-top-end/
              Last edited by digrar; 21-04-2015, 01:35 AM.

Comment

I wonder how many pilots get to fly an Apache and a Tiger?

Does grendel know where we are?

Comment

First Australian pilot for RAAF’s new Poseidon aircraft takes flight
                  15 April 2015 | Media Release

The introduction of Australia’s new P-8A Poseidon maritime patrol aircraft moved a step closer today when Flight Lieutenant James Pears became the first Australian pilot to fly the P‑8A Poseidon at Naval Air Station Jacksonville, Florida, United States this morning AEST [afternoon of Tuesday 14 April US EDT].
                  http://news.defence.gov.au/2015/04/1...-takes-flight/

Media note:
                  Imagery of the P-8A Poseidon crew is available at http://images.defence.gov.au/S20150928.
                  Last edited by digrar; 21-04-2015, 01:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Elliott View Post
                    I wonder how many pilots get to fly an Apache and a Tiger?

Does grendel know where we are?
                    One of the guys that Ed Macey flew with in the UK is serving in the ARA as a Tiger pilot.

Comment

Cabinet mulls shipbuilding orders as pressure grows on jobs.

Federal cabinet is set to consider new ship building orders within weeks as the Victorian and South Australian governments press Tony Abbott for a pipeline to *secure defence industry jobs.
                      http://www.theaustralian.com.au/nati...-1227308586423

So essentially, the Government is looking at a continual naval shipbuilding program (finally!), and are looking in to the size and structure of the surface fleet. Most of what they are going on is from a RAND report on SEA5000 released a few months ago.

What comes out of the next Defence White Paper will be extremely important for the RAN and the ship building industry. As it is, the "valley of death" can not be avoided due to incompetence from the previous Rudd and Gillard governments, but hopefully its impact can be mitigated.

Comment

An amendment to the above. The report was commissioned a few months ago and only just released. I got my wires crossed with RAND's previous report.

The new RAND report is titled and found here: Australia's Naval Shipbuilding Enterprise: Preparing for the 21st Century.

Comment

Homage to our own homegrown missile - the Ikara.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ikara_%28missile%29

Comment

*[Copy pasted from old forum]

**[And sorry for multiple posts but this forum apparently only allows 15 images per post so have to split it across several]

I recently had the chance attend a public open day for HMAS Canberra while it was in Hobart for ANZAC day celebrations.

The Canberra is the first of two new 27k tonne LHDs for the Australian navy which constitute a significant push to revitalise Australia’s amphibious capabilities and allowing the ADF to better interface with the USMC.

I’ve closely (excitedly) watched these ships progress from the hull construction in Spain, their transport to Australia and their final fitting out and addition of the island/bridge in Williamstown. Every visit to Melbourne for the last couple of years I swung by Williamstown to see how they were progressing. On my second last visit, purely by chance, I happened to be there on the shore shortly after she left the pier and started cruising around Port Phillip Bay to commence sea trials.

Now, with her visit to Hobart, I was afforded a rare chance to get on board and take some pictures.

The tour started in the centre starboard deck which is sandwiched above the heavy vehicle/dock area and below the hanger/light vehicle deck. It has a very impressive hospital occupying the aft end (seriously, as good as the nicer hospitals on land) which we walked through and then popped up some stairs to emerge on the stern open area where the hanger opens up on to with the main aircraft elevator. Proceeded through the hangar/light vehicle area and moved up to the fore area adjacent to the ski jump and up again to the flight deck proper. Across the flight deck to the tower and back down to the middle deck but towards the bow, this time through fantastically equipped mess halls, gyms, entertainment areas and lots of bunking cabins. At the end we descended to the foremost part of the heavy vehicle deck, to the rear of which was the dock.

The above is the order the pictures appear in [strike]and here is a diagram to illustrate:[/strike]

**nixed the diagram as per new forum rules**

(why on earth don't [s] or [strike] bbcode work?)

Peeking out from the shed – to scale

Full Resolution

Full Resolution

I gained a significant appreciation for what these do thanks to a former (Canadian?) sailor walking with me

Full Resolution

Full Resolution

Full Resolution

Seriously, this ship has the nicest, most extensive hospital I could have imagined. Most large regional towns/small cities probably wish they had this gear.

Full Resolution

Full Resolution

Full Resolution

Full Resolution

Full Resolution

Full Resolution

Full Resolution

Full Resolution
                            Last edited by toryu; 29-04-2015, 04:17 AM.

Comment

Aft aircraft elevator

Full Resolution

Full Resolution

Aft to fore hangar and light vehicle deck. Spacious.

Full Resolution

Full Resolution

The MANTIS SHH-ELP (shipboard helo handling – extra low profile). A remotely controlled device used to move Seahawks, MRH-90s and various other rotary residents about.

Full Resolution

816 Squadron S-70B-2 (SH-60B Seahawk equiv.) They will soon start transitioning to the MH-60R. The first 4 of the new types are already in service and training hard in the states

Full Resolution

MRH-90 – a very fancy, expensive EU handjob. It’s alright I guess.

Full Resolution

Full Resolution

Full Resolution

(shiny) underside of the fore aircraft lift. Comes up just in front of the island on the sb side. This is the most forward extreme of the hangar.

Full Resolution

Full Resolution

Full Resolution

Lift that drops to heavy/dock deck

Full Resolution

Looking aft from foremost hangar

Full Resolution

Comment

Working...
                              X