Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Let's see the Firearms!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by primer View Post
    If I see a young stag with potential I'll let it go. Won't get started on pest control in NZ but quite a few hunters get all kinds of contracts overseas to control pests. Its ok pay.
    Here in AZ, my County paid a $25 bounty per Coyote.

    Not a fan, but this is Rancher Country.

    Comment


    • Because we can hunt all year and have a culture of pest control, our old cullers and trappers who used to live for months on end in the scrub were considered legends. We have our own versions of Boone and Crockett.
      Because of that now our guys are getting all the pest control contracts overseas. Everything has been used known to mankind on pests. Pests have nearly no humane protection. If a deer is killed as by kill with a broad aerial dropped pesticide and takes a day to die. Its ok according to NZ law.
      I can go into the thing in great depth. They used to carrot bait with 1080. Ok well they did that during berry season before nesting season and in winter when they feed more to build up for nesting, its colder and berries are what they look for.. We have orange berries. Orange like carrots. So they used to kill tons of native birds. Literal tons. Birds that were protected under law. But somehow its ok with their fucking poison.
      A mate who's was dad was an ornithologist, he used a his dads call trying to find an extinct Black Robin colony on the North Island mainland. Anyway we camped and I went for a piss and I guarantee I saw one. A little jet black robin looking bird. Can't be confused with anything else. Our other Robin we have is grey. It was in a stand of massively tall trees. Rimus. All pristine. Can't help thinking how many last survivors they also killed. Wiped out species along with the rest.

      Comment


      • Feral goats are great survivors. And breeders.

        Even with dingos about they still thrive. The place i hunt on is full of them, but they muster them and sell them, so im not allowed to hunt them. If i want one we can catch one (there is a mob that live around the house yards) and kill it quietly. If you shoot them they get skittish as a whole.

        Comment


        • A guy at work shot goats initially for fun, dog meat and pest control for farmers. After meeting a Bhutanese guy at work who he took for a hunt, he all of a sudden discovered an untapped market within the local immigrant communities. The fact the goats are seen largely as pests here seemed to amaze them.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by gafkiwi View Post
            A guy at work shot goats initially for fun, dog meat and pest control for farmers. After meeting a Bhutanese guy at work who he took for a hunt, he all of a sudden discovered an untapped market within the local immigrant communities. The fact the goats are seen largely as pests here seemed to amaze them.
            Never had goat until my mid 20s. Were at a function at the local church come community centre. A Nepalese guy made a goat curry. So good! Last time we went hunting they gave us goat chops, my son ploughed through them like they were going out of fashion, and yes they were nice!

            Comment


            • Yeah it can be quite good especially when its a chef/cook who knows what they're doing

              Comment


              • That's how feel about elk and deer. Never had it until I met my ex-wife, and her dad gave me a bunch each time he'd bring something back from hunting.

                Now I need to get my own...

                Comment


                • Got something neat in the mail today

                  Comment


                  • Back from the hunt. Between the four of us we got two Mynahs, two rabbits, and a dozen possums. If quail had been in season we could have easily bagged 100 - there were litterally hundreds of them running around all over the place.

                    Comment



                    • Comment


                      • I'd just like to say that I've never once felt the need to use the forward assist on my AR. It's as pointless as putting trousers on Zorro.

                        Comment


                        • Related video:

                          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4rZkMEL1Pk

                          Wait for the kick.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by t3ngu View Post

                            Never had goat until my mid 20s. Were at a function at the local church come community centre. A Nepalese guy made a goat curry. So good! Last time we went hunting they gave us goat chops, my son ploughed through them like they were going out of fashion, and yes they were nice!

                            t3ngu. t3ngu


                            there is a dish in texas, mexico and spain of goat/ kid called CABRITO, a kid goat roasted over mesquite wood fire that is supposedly delicious. There was a cafe near our office that specialized in it. Always smelled great.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by TheKiwi View Post
                              I'd just like to say that I've never once felt the need to use the forward assist on my AR. It's as pointless as putting trousers on Zorro.
                              And generally you won't. If the bolt won't close, there's a reason so bashing the bolt assist forwards will most likely add or multiply issues as with any rifle where the bolt can be "Assisted" forwards.
                              Personally I believe it only has any utility in a field or tactical environment. A couple examples maybe:
                              1. After maintenance in a tactical field environment. To re chamber a round, riding the bolt forwards so it strips a round (or just drop one into the chamber) close the bolt and slowly press the bolt assist to ensure the bolt has closed on the round. I remember being a young soldier in a Platoon harbor in the bush or jungle where noise discipline was "Aggressively" enforced by the NCO's. The sound of a bolt dropping carrying across the harbor would get the culprit "Dropped"
                              2. By night carrying out I.A's or in reduced visibility, giving the assist a tap to ensure it did close or a "Press check".
                              That being said I have seen dumb stuff where guys have managed to over fill mags and then the bolt is getting stuck trying to strip rounds from the mags and they keep bashing the assist.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by commanding View Post


                                t3ngu. t3ngu


                                there is a dish in texas, mexico and spain of goat/ kid called CABRITO, a kid goat roasted over mesquite wood fire that is supposedly delicious. There was a cafe near our office that specialized in it. Always smelled great.
                                Our neighbors across the road raise goats and lambs. Hard to watch the cute little lambs frolicking about, they soon end up in the freezer but they do not die in vain. Excellent.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X