Let's see the Firearms!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by t3ngu View Post
    Did it come with the rail standard? The wood stocks scratch easy good idea syn.
    Yeah the rail was standard.

Very nice.
    I am also very pleased with the Ruger muzzle brake on my Gunsite Scout. I believe they are the same brake. Felt recoil is like 5.56. But, it is loud.
    Yeah sitting on the bench opposite my mate when he first fired that i almost sh*t myself. Id been next to enough 7.62 and 50 cal stuff but the brake on that caught me by surprise. really keeps the recoil flat though.

Yeah, that is exactly what I'm looking at getting (RPR and Adler), just gotta save the pennies.

Will get a Ruger Gunsite Scout as well, but I think I'll wait for a cheaper second hand rifle, they are really expensive at the moment.

As far as the 7 shot Adler ban goes, for QLD it's still up in the air last time I checked. There might be enough political pressure from the minor parties to have it dropped. I mean shit, it's 2 extra rounds, the whole thing is a colossal cluster fuck and waste of time and energy. Besides, there is a nifty quick reloader floating around now which is pretty much a big middle finger to the anti gunners, works a charm as well apparently - with a little modding to the shottie.
    Yeah id love a lefty gunsite scout, but at least for the moment im looking at trying to get an SMLE 303.
    But the 7 shot is Cat C now yeah? which realistically put it out of reach of most recreational gun owners. Yeah ive seen 10 shot replacement mags going online only for a couple hundred $ too.

Comment

• Originally posted by Divingengineer View Post

Yeah the rail was standard.

Yeah sitting on the bench opposite my mate when he first fired that i almost sh*t myself. Id been next to enough 7.62 and 50 cal stuff but the brake on that caught me by surprise. really keeps the recoil flat though.

Yeah id love a lefty gunsite scout, but at least for the moment im looking at trying to get an SMLE 303.
      But the 7 shot is Cat C now yeah? which realistically put it out of reach of most recreational gun owners. Yeah ive seen 10 shot replacement mags going online only for a couple hundred $ too.
      WRT muzzle brakes on .308's ... I stumbled upon some on-line chatter that the increased (dangerous) impulse sound resulting from muzzle brakes does not outweigh the benefit of reduced felt recoil, especially if the firearm is discharged when the shooter or others do not have adequate hearing protection.

I am not looking to change anything, but something to perhaps consider.

Comment

• Originally posted by GB_FXST View Post

WRT muzzle brakes on .308's ... I stumbled upon some on-line chatter that the increased (dangerous) impulse sound resulting from muzzle brakes does not outweigh the benefit of reduced felt recoil, especially if the firearm is discharged when the shooter or others do not have adequate hearing protection.

I am not looking to change anything, but something to perhaps consider.
        Our issue 308 LMT MWS have surefire breaks on them. Very efficent at minimising recoil even with bursts, but you don't want to be left or right of the shooter when they crack off. If they don't have their cans on, our safety requires firers and those in proximity need to be "double bagged" with plugs and muffs as ear pro. The Surefire WARCOMP is a good alternative. Very good comp and flash suppression ability and no excessive issues for those left or right.
        Last edited by gafkiwi; 08-01-2017, 12:04 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheKiwi View Post
          Anyone got an opinion on Mossberg M590 for using on rabbits and possums?

Thinking about this: http://www.trademe.co.nz/sports/hunt...1237238172.htm
          I have a Mossy 590 that I really like, I prefer it to my Remington 870. The 590 has rails and a bayonet lug, I have mine for self defense.
          The Remington Speedmaster hanging with it is really awesome, it's an 80's manufacture, better IMO than the later manufacture Speedmasters. Super fun and accurate rifle.

Comment

• I use a 12 ga shotgun for main home defense now also, and I have a 1980s Remington 570 Fieldmaster pump I bought new in the 80s. It has been my go to 22lr rifle for years. riderboy

Comment

I'm in the same boat, a lefty. Trying to find the right gun for the right price in the right config is a pain in the arse, more so when you want to get "tactical" but they only have right hand stocks. I'm definitely looking at a Ruger Gunsite, but yeah, like you I'm probably going to spend my money on a few cheaper things before plunging into the high end. Probably get myself a M44 Mosin and a SMLE Mk4 No1 if I can get them for the right price.

I don't think anything has happened yet as far as the Alder goes in QLD. KAP and the Nats were staunchly against reclass'ing it, and I think the LNP would do well for it's political hopes next election to follow suite, unless the want to see even more votes head towards One Nation, Lib Dems or Shooter/Fisher's etc.

Comment

I thought they were going past Cat C, in the D (farm specific) area, to be honest, if i were to get a Cat C license again, i wouldn't bother with an Adler. Straight to pump or semi.

I like my SMLE, but to be honest, i just like it, don't really ever use it. I have a parker hale (303, no 4 action), literally fired it 10 times in 10 years. All 10 rounds in the one day. Need to sight it in, but sort of never quite finished it.
                Last edited by t3ngu; 10-01-2017, 04:39 AM.

Comment

• My M14 and a mates "new" AR15 which he just received today. Had a lot of fun testing it. That Bushnell sight is pretty damn amazing for clarity.

Comment

• TheKiwi , nice rifles. What scope you putting on yours?

Comment

• I've got an Outdoor Optics 4-12 x 42 which came with the M14. Which is a bit ... meh to be honest.

My AR15 should be turning up today (with any luck) or tomorrow if the couriers are their usual incompetent selves.

Comment

• AR15 finally turned up yesterday (mumbles something under breath about couriers). No pictures yet, will take some on Saturday, but very pleased with the rifle.

Comment

• New AR on the bench with scope and suppressor fitted. The stock is to make it comply as a class A firearm under NZ law.

Mate's AR15 on the table for some work.

He really hates the plate fitted to the buttstock (on the left). It feels really uncomfortable and makes it a bit too long for him, so looking to do a swap with a slightly shorter plate (on the right). Did a basic fit test and it is a big improvement.

Comment

• Is a shorter stock available in that configuration?

Comment

• Yes, but replacing the whole stock would be a pretty major project for two guys who don't really know what they're doing...

Comment

• TheKiwi assuming the top photo of your AR with the scope already mounted is yours? difficult for me to tell which caption goes with which photo etc.

anyway, assuming the scoped one is yours....the one piece scope mount, is my choice also and I have two of the one piece scope mounts....which are specifically made for the AR platform rifle, and the slope is perfect. your scope appears to be adjustable magnification, as is mine. "they" say the non adjustable one is "better" for accuracy, but the adjustable one is perfect for : 1. old eyes like mine and 2. for varied distances of shooting which would present themselves in the dense woods, when shooting at raccoons, wild hogs, etc. Nice looking weapon, the suppressor is great, wish I had one but I am unwilling to jump thru the hoops of the ATF laws in the USA currently including fees that are basically stupid laws left over from the 1930s mindset here.

One of the problems of a large nation like the USA that has a lumbering legislation and legal system, is that they are quick to enact laws and extremely slow to even look at the possibility of existing laws to be repealed. So existing laws are often vapid and meaningless.

Comment

Working...
                                X