Best waterproof/breathable fabric

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best waterproof/breathable fabric

So many propriety and very expensive fabrics out there. My Merrell gore-tex boots have been very disappointing to the point I have defaulted to rubber Muck boots for course walks in wet grass. It seems like for non-active wet situations I'm increasingly fond of plain rubber/plastic. The DWR "waterproof" fabrics have also proven to be exceptionally bad in any but the lightest rain. I'm going to give this jacket from Jomiluti (made in Ireland) a try on the recommendation of a trainer. What seems to be the best out there?

http://www.jomiluti.com/

Skin.

Failing that Ventile cotton.

Waterproof boots rarely are as there are two big holes in the top (where your feet go). I'm being facetious but its true - water runs downwards due to gravity so its pretty hard to keep even the best ones waterproof for long in bad weather. The waterproof membrane also keeps whatever water does get in, inside. Avoid them where you can and deal with wet feet or wear good gaiters.

If you do want a good waterproof jacket go for a make designed for cold, wet environments like Arcteryx. But again remember that you will sweat so you are putting water onto the inside and it can only be evaporated through a membrane if there is a moisture/temperature gradient. The design of the garment is far more important than the material its made of.

Comment

Waterproof garments don't work for me because I sweat ... a lot. I think the phrase "whore in church" is the appropriate exclamation metaphor.

Anyhow, I focus on wicking and quick dry fabrics.

Lots of items on the market, but I have had good luck with UnderArmour, Eddie Bauer's Ascent line, Patagonia, and Nike ...

Downsides are ofc price and care.

Comment

Thank you for the recommendations, and GB_FXST if you could send me a list of the churches, that would be nice......ah.....for a friend.

Comment

The Lowe ceramic waterproofing from the early 90s was really good stuff for almost 25 years on my Lowe light mountain jacket. I bought a used not-so-old North Face jacket of a similar form and function it has not been nearly as good. I wash in some Nikwax waterproofing, but it doesn't really do much for very long.

I'm a really big fan of lots of vents and good air circulation in my jackets, as sweating/swamping up from the inside bothers me about as much as any sort of rain or spray coming in through the layers from the outside.

For this main reason, I stay away from rubberized traditional rain jackets or pants. The only two situations I would still used them is if I had to stand outside without exercising much while in a rain storm, such as at a coastal lighthouse with ocean spray or in the audience at a football game.
          '
          I will look at my tags to see what the waterproofing brands are on my current gear.
          Last edited by Euroamerican; 28-02-2019, 06:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GB_FXST View Post
            Waterproof garments don't work for me because I sweat ... a lot. I think the phrase "whore in church" is the appropriate exclamation metaphor.

Anyhow, I focus on wicking and quick dry fabrics.

Lots of items on the market, but I have had good luck with UnderArmour, Eddie Bauer's Ascent line, Patagonia, and Nike ...

Downsides are ofc price and care.
            The wicking synthetics are amazing. The Merrell Entrada ll t-shirt is incredibly light and cool. Any time of the year if I’m working outside synthetics are my go to. Cotton just stays wet.

Comment

Originally posted by riderboy View Post

The wicking synthetics are amazing. The Merrell Entrada ll t-shirt is incredibly light and cool. Any time of the year if I’m working outside synthetics are my go to. Cotton just stays wet.
              Indeed!

I like cotton for it's comfort, but it has no place in the field. Cotton kills, seriously.

I am also big fan of the new Merino blend wool socks; they are really good now, naturally wicking and quick drying.

Comment

event seems to be going ok. No problems so far. Seam sealing is the biggest failing point in any bit of gear. PFTE membranes I still believe has better durability than PU membranes but thats only practical in really heavily used gear. Emphasis in used and abused.

Many fabrics with close to the same water and breathable ratings now. Getting hard to pick a winner there.

Merino needs nylon mix for durability.

Cottons comfortable and quiet to wear. Wearing a wool shirt right now. Old school, timber felling type.

Few months ago got an under armour pair of gore-tex hunting pants. Welded seams and big side zippers so can get them off without taking the boots off. Can recommend these pants. But they switch around factories like throwing a dart at a board with a blind fold..

Every bit of gear has its own features. Brands don't make gear good. It comes down to the design features and people who make them.

Comment

Originally posted by Euroamerican View Post
                  the audience at a football game.
                  Get yourself some F1 team merch. Carbon fibre zip pulls keep you extra dry.

Comment

Working...
                  X