X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The U.S. Army Will Pit Two Light Tank Designs Against One Another

https://www.popularmechanics.com/mil...eral-dynamics/

The U.S. Army Will Pit Two Light Tank Designs Against One Another

BAE and General Dynamics will each build a dozen light tanks, and the winner will build 500 more to equip Army light infantry units.

By Kyle Mizokami

Dec 19, 2018
    The U.S. Army has chosen two of the nation’s largest defense contractors to compete for the service’s new light tank program. BAE and General Dynamics will each receive up to $376 million to develop and build 12 light tanks in fourteen months. After field testing, the Army will choose one design in 2022, building up to 504 Mobile Protected Firepower vehicles, otherwise known as light tanks.
    The U.S. Army has more than a dozen infantry brigades: light infantry, airborne, and air assault brigades of 2,000 to 4,000 soldiers that lack heavy equipment like the M1A2 Abrams tank and M2A3 Bradley fighting vehicle. These brigades are designed to be rapidly deployable, flying overseas on short notice. This strategic mobility comes at a cost. The units lack armored vehicles capable of scuttling quickly across the battlefield to support ground troops and engage other armored vehicles.

Hmmmm....technicals on steroids huh? Some Armor Course officer must have won the concept writing award for a little left-over budget money that needed to be marked before DoD swept it. Who exactly in the US Army wants these? ANSWER: Someone who never had to fight/ride in ACAVs, 113s, 577s, Sheridans, any other of the pile of junk "light armored vehicles" the US Army has tried to use.
    I hope Mastermind comes in here and talks about mines and AT guns used on "light armor" in VN... yeah! mines and AT guns.....

Hasn't the AT/Anti-armor capability of light units already been addressed? I mean c'mon...give the extra money to the Marines so they can have some "light tanks"..

Comment

Very high mobility vehicles with decent protection; airmobile; plug and play HMG/GMG/ISR modules

But most importantly, EW resistant/networked.

Partnered/networked with mothership trucks that provide logistical/medical support and next gen indirect fires 🔥

Think next gen LRDG.

Think 2003 and CAG dropping M1s and quad bikes in Iraqi rear area, but next gen.

The Aussies are fielding a vehicle that looks like a Toyota Hilux had sex with an uparmoured Humvee.

I haven’t had a play with it, but the specs look cool and the Aussies I met who have think it’s pretty cool.

Tanks certainly have a purpose, and I’m no armour expert.

But getting stuff from point A to B into a fight is a question of:

Cubic volume
      Weight
      Sustainment/logistics

Looking out the next 10-20 years, if it’s a binary choice(and I know it isn’t) I’d choose EW resistant/networked ISR over direct fire support.

The answer is probably something in between.

Russian designs have often been way ahead of their time, but poorly executed in practice.

Such as the BMP-1

With the advent of cheap price/performance precision weapons I wonder if we will see a return to low pressure guns/rockets like on the BMP?

In any case, with how much extra weight each light Infantry Soldier has to carry in the near future we will all need our own personal vehicle to carry it all.

Comment

Originally posted by Flagg View Post
        The Aussies are fielding a vehicle that looks like a Toyota Hilux had sex with an uparmoured Humvee.

I haven’t had a play with it, but the specs look cool and the Aussies I met who have think it’s pretty cool.
        They're shipping them around the place at the moment. I saw one in Melbourne last week and another up in Coober Pedy a couple of weeks ago.

Still not sure what we're going to end up doing with them... If they make their way into the Motorised Battalions, or the Cav units find a job for them, or... No one seems to know.

Comment

Originally posted by digrar View Post

They're shipping them around the place at the moment. I saw one in Melbourne last week and another up in Coober Pedy a couple of weeks ago.

Still not sure what we're going to end up doing with them... If they make their way into the Motorised Battalions, or the Cav units find a job for them, or... No one seems to know.
          I just want one......to make everyone with a HiLux and Landcruiser jealous.

I say network them in with “arsenal trucks”.

Build a hi-tech 32 Battalion meets LRDG, meets Mad Max....

10x cooler than Megaforce:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WpH1yMGxh5E

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6tbnC-gLhiw

Comment

A bearded Barry Bostwick as Ace Hunter and 1 rotten tomato, I need to find that movie and watch it.

Comment

At about 7 tonne, with a 3.2L turbo Diesel, I'm happy for you to pay the fuel bill on the bugger...

Comment

As long as they make a Space Force variant for lunar ops.

Comment

Originally posted by digrar View Post
                  At about 7 tonne, with a 3.2L turbo Diesel, I'm happy for you to pay the fuel bill on the bugger...
                  For reals?

That thing needs to go on a diet.

Unless it’s filled with awesome. Awesome must weight a lot.

Comment

Really curious as to why BAE will go with their M8 design with a 105mm barrel and auto loader and not the CV90-120, which would be more survivable, have a heavier hitting gun and still fall within the weight/size restrictions.

Comment

What's old is new again...but what's the powerplant really gonna be for all the extra anti-ied hardware that they will strap onto it...also they should probably design it with modular space so you can put all the extra electronics suite in it...aka it's gonna be a shit tonne heavier than 7...more like 10ish.

Comment

Originally posted by Soldat_Américain View Post
                        What's old is new again...but what's the powerplant really gonna be for all the extra anti-ied hardware that they will strap onto it...also they should probably design it with modular space so you can put all the extra electronics suite in it...aka it's gonna be a shit tonne heavier than 7...more like 10ish.
                        Well according to the article it will be in the 30-tonne class. Flagg and digrar are talking about some Aussie mrap.

Comment

This would be an interesting development as the Philippine Amy is in the market for a medium tank, with the Indo Turkish KAPLAN tank as the front runner.

Comment

Originally posted by Soldat_Américain View Post
                            it's gonna be a shit tonne heavier than 7...more like 10ish.
                            As per the above, derailing the thread with talk about the Hawkei, disregard.

Comment

I understand what they are trying to do, putting mobile (light-ish) firepower into the Light Brigades. A direct fire 105mm would have some utility especially with the range of munitions range it has. Smacking hard points, VBIED's and AFV's would be more efficient with the gun than ATGM's. Unsure what hull BAE are offering but their CV90 carries up to a 120mm armed manned turret so there should be a lot of room for improvement or upgrade with the 105mm in there.
                              Will it be portable enough for the light Brigades? Time will tell, but being half the weight of the standard MBT and the air transport capability of the US it may not be much of an issue.

Comment

Working...
                              X