X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why the Army Is Borrowing Light Armored Vehicles from the Marines

https://www.popularmechanics.com/mil...m-the-marines/

Why the Army Is Borrowing Light Armored Vehicles from the Marines

The LAV-25A2, long a Marine Corps favorite, will temporarily fill a hole in Army ranks.

By Kyle Mizokami Nov 2, 2018

The U.S. Army is borrowing light armored vehicles from the Marine Corps to offer support for airborne forces. The LAV-25A2, armed with a devastating 25mm automatic cannon, will provide reconnaissance and fire support for paratroopers until an even more heavily armed, permanent solution can be arranged.
    The LAV-25A2 is the older brother to the Army’s Stryker infantry armored vehicles. It's smaller—the Army can fit four LAVs inside an Air Force C-17 heavy transport, as opposed to just three Strykers. And in January 2018, the Army’s U.S. Army Operational Test Command certified the LAV-25A2 as air-droppable, making it the only armored vehicle in the Pentagon’s inventory that can be dropped from and airplane and has a weapon larger than a .50 caliber machine gun, and clearing the way for its integration into the 82nd Airborne.

I thought the hand me down flow of kit was supposed to go the other way?

The other day I was thinking about these very old LAVs(Piranha). USMC loves them and don't seem too be looking for an replacement yet. And I see why. They pack a good punch and are quite light by todays standard. And that because of much less armour than most 8x8 out there. Our Piranha IIIC and of course our all new Piranha V are much better armoured, and heavier. But in an expeditionary force like USMC and US Army Airborne, I see why they make sense still today. Impressive

Comment

So is it officially said that the Stryker was a less than optimal acquisition project?

Comment

Originally posted by digrar View Post
        https://www.popularmechanics.com/mil...m-the-marines/

I thought the hand me down flow of kit was supposed to go the other way?
        In 1990 the 82nd borrowed some USMC LAV during Desert Shield/Desert Storm

Comment

Originally posted by Piirka View Post
          So is it officially said that the Stryker was a less than optimal acquisition project?
          Was Stryker designed for Airborne Ops?

Comment

Originally posted by Piirka View Post
            No. The Strykers are quite good vehicles. Just bigger and heavier than these, not as good for rapid deployment. And the infantry carrier Strykers based in Europe(and the rest later) will gain an overhead unmanned turret packing a 30mm machinecannon with the possibility of upgrading to 40mm later on. So, the infantry companies will have at least 12 30mm machinecannons, 3 105mm cannons(MGS) and 2 120mm Cardom autonomous mortars. Add Javelin and TOW missiles. That's not a nice enemy to run into. No matter if it's on wheels or tracks.

Comment

The 75th seem to manage okay with Strykers...

Comment

Originally posted by Royal View Post
                The 75th seem to manage okay with Strykers...
                The vehicle fleet of a BN in the 75th is extensive...and I thought I had a lot of shit on my hand receipt in the Test Brigade.

Comment

Originally posted by The Dane View Post
                  No. The Strykers are quite good vehicles. Just bigger and heavier than these, not as good for rapid deployment. And the infantry carrier Strykers based in Europe(and the rest later) will gain an overhead unmanned turret packing a 30mm machinecannon with the possibility of upgrading to 40mm later on. So, the infantry companies will have at least 12 30mm machinecannons, 3 105mm cannons(MGS) and 2 120mm Cardom autonomous mortars. Add Javelin and TOW missiles. That's not a nice enemy to run into. No matter if it's on wheels or tracks.
                  Funny, this was uploaded to YT yesterday

Stryker Family in Action: M1128 Mobile Gun, M1126 ICV & 30mm Dragoon Engage Simulated Targets
                  Last edited by The Dane; 10-11-2018, 08:26 AM.

Comment

Would it be worth it for the US to introduce a new vehicle for the airborne troops?

Something like the French Panhard ERC in size (I was thinking of the new Jaguar EBRC for the weapon systems, but that is a 25! tones reconnaissance vehicle).

Comment

Originally posted by BogT View Post
                      Would it be worth it for the US to introduce a new vehicle for the airborne troops?

Something like the French Panhard ERC in size (I was thinking of the new Jaguar EBRC for the weapon systems, but that is a 25! tones reconnaissance vehicle).
                      A complete overhaul of the LAV seems like a better idea to me. New driveline, 30mm gun, active protection system, integration of Javelin missiles.. stuff like that.

Comment

Originally posted by The Dane View Post
                        A complete overhaul of the LAV seems like a better idea to me. New driveline, 30mm gun, active protection system, integration of Javelin missiles.. stuff like that.
                        This, simple modification like this can be really cost effective and not too risky.
                        You take new model of Mowag Piranha ( the LAV is based upon this family) an new simple turret and you mount a javelin on it.
                        I fear that with the US procurments the army will end with an overexpensive, high tech toy

The Panhard ERC is really very light, but in Africa it give really good service to the French army. With the modern shell the 90mm gun can reliably neutralise T55-62 and early T72.
                        It's a clear example of the french recon state of mind: recon must not only recon but destroy enemy recon units, it start with the Panhard AMD-178 up to the AMX-10RC and now Jaguar.

Comment

Working...
                        X