No announcement yet.

Fishnet Underwear….Staying Warm with Underwear full of Holes…the String Vest

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fishnet Underwear….Staying Warm with Underwear full of Holes…the String Vest

I was reading online that during WWII the British military used to use what were called string vests…they were knitted in a net style and issued to the British troops to keep warm. The British seem to have used the garment in the Korean War as well. Then with modern times their usage seems to have disappeared...
    Any old timers here have more information on these types of garments?
    Are mesh/fishnet thermal undergarments still used by militaries today?
    Any feedback on their usage?
    The design concept is interesting.

Can't speak as to the military but people certainly wore them in the civilian world. I grew up in the UK in the 80s and they were already pretty old-fashioned by that point - they were the kind of thing that your mate's grandad would wear and you'd make fun of him for it.

Comment

They work. Helps create a warmth layer and helps to keep a person dryer. The materials that they are made of have gotten better.

Comment

We used to get mesh underwear from a Norwegian company called Brynje for use in the arctic - fantastic stuff.

I use merino now but only because its easier to get hold of and I don't do much of the really extreme stuff any more.

Comment

Originally posted by Royal View Post
          We used to get mesh underwear from a Norwegian company called Brynje for use in the arctic - fantastic stuff.

I use merino now but only because its easier to get hold of and I don't do much of the really extreme stuff any more.

I might still have some Brynje in my stuff.

Comment

Also good in summer, keeps the shirt off from direct contact with the skin. Cooling air circulation in between.

Comment

We had those in the Funnish defence forces, when I was in.
              Last edited by Piirka; 23-06-2018, 10:53 AM.

Comment

Also in use in the Swedish armed forces. Short and long sleeved t-shirt and long-johns.
                http://dokument.forsvarsmakten.se/un...t-M7321-159000
                http://dokument.forsvarsmakten.se/un...t-M7322-108000

Comment

Russians had them too.

Creating loft. If it had a reflective layer over the top like some new thermal inflated mats work on similar principle. Large closed cell with inward reflective outer layer. They seem to work ok.

Merino fluffs up. Goes fuzzy like polar fleece. Which helps it with loft to catch air and insulate. Still has to have a good weave. The string undies its a good idea... looks a bit gay perhaps.

A hand knitted wool jumper is thick and porous opposed to a thin, smooth tight knit Italian merino jacket won't help much for insulation.

Pure merino wool socks don't wear as long as ones with nylon & wool mixed in them. Durability is another thing.

Comment

Working...
                  X