Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fitness tracking app gives away location of secret US army bases

Fitness tracking app gives away location of secret US army bases

Data about exercise routes shared online by soldiers can be used to pinpoint overseas facilities

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...-us-army-bases
    Sensitive information about the location and staffing of military bases and spy outposts around the world has been revealed by a fitness tracking company.
    The details were released by Strava in a data visualisation map that shows all the activity tracked by users of its app, which allows people to record their exercise and share it with others.
    The map, released in November 2017, shows every single activity ever uploaded to Strava – more than 3 trillion individual GPS data points, according to the company. The app can be used on various devices including smartphones and fitness trackers like Fitbit to see popular running routes in major cities, or spot individuals in more remote areas who have unusual exercise patterns.
    Advertisement

However, over the weekend military analysts noticed that the map is also detailed enough that it potentially gives away extremely sensitive information about a subset of Strava users: military personnel on active service.
    Nathan Ruser, an analyst with the Institute for United Conflict Analysts, first noted the lapse. The heatmap “looks very pretty” he wrote, but is “not amazing for Op-Sec” – short for operational security. “US Bases are clearly identifiable and mappable.”
    “If soldiers use the app like normal people do, by turning it on tracking when they go to do exercise, it could be especially dangerous,” Ruser added, highlighting one particular track that “looks like it logs a regular jogging route.”
    “In Syria, known coalition (ie US) bases light up the night,” writes analyst Tobias Schneider. “Some light markers over known Russian positions, no notable colouring for Iranian bases … A lot of people are going to have to sit through lectures come Monday morning.”
    In locations like Afghanistan, Djibouti and Syria, the users of Strava seem to be almost exclusively foreign military personnel, meaning that bases stand out brightly. In Helmand province, Afghanistan, for instance, the locations of forward operating bases can be clearly seen, glowing white against the black map.

read more at link!!

This has already been posted about somewhere on here.
    Lots of it around my old base.

Comment

Eerie.

Had FB existed back in June 1944, the Germans would have easily been ''tipped off'' about Operation Overlord.

I am not against progress and technology but the rules of the games have changed, sometimes for the worse.

Comment

Afaik. They knew about the Operation but didn't know when or where it was going to strike. They thought it would be further West where the channel was the most narrow.
        Even back then the build up for a large scale invasion and the logistical preparation was impossible to hide.

Comment

Apparently secret Canadian Forces facilities have also been revealed.

Comment

COMSEC

It’s not just a bunch of capital letters

Comment

Get assigned to HMNB Clyde, military base that stores UK nuclear arsenal

Turn on GPS tracking on third-party app

Genius

https://labs.strava.com/heatmap/#17.....06599/hot/all

The amount of stuff Im finding there all across Sahel is just insane. Did you know that in central Libya someone apparently likes to use Strava at Waddan military bunkers that were blown to pieces in 2011 and ever since were guarded by one militia or another, with forbidden access? Yeah, because someone likes to run through those bunkers rather a lot despite no one else using Strava in cca 2000km radius. Who, oh, who may that be?

PS: Also, Pentagon, when McGurk was taking those journos to visit firebase north of Raqqa where marines were shelling ISIS and telling each and everyone to keep their mouth shut in regards to location, screening their films in order to not give it away from footage, maybe telling guys that using Strava there isnt best idea would help too

https://labs.strava.com/heatmap/#17.....25837/hot/all

Comment

There are several locations in the Russian Arctic. One is really interesting as not even an airstrip appears on the map. It just looks like someone is running around in the middle of nowhere in a strange pattern.
                ​(furthest spot north and then a bit east above Kazahkstan)

Edit:
                ​There is far more activity in North Korea than I expected.
                ​One appears to be vehicle traffic along a port.

Edit 2:
                ​Apparently it's a NK Naval base in Wonsan.

Comment

Originally posted by Hildemel View Post
                  There are several locations in the Russian Arctic. One is really interesting as not even an airstrip appears on the map. It just looks like someone is running around in the middle of nowhere in a strange pattern.
                  ​(furthest spot north and then a bit east above Kazahkstan)

Edit:
                  ​There is far more activity in North Korea than I expected.
                  ​One appears to be vehicle traffic along a port.

Edit 2:
                  ​Apparently it's a NK Naval base in Wonsan.
                  I thought Alaska was neat, and then you look across the border and see that one red dot in Russia, on the coast...also the one little dot on the island inbetween the two.

https://labs.strava.com/heatmap/#4.5....06379/hot/all

Comment

Those are the Diomede Islands. Big Diomede became a Soviet military base during WW2 and remained as one for a period during the Cold War, according to Wiki. Currently uninhabited.
                    ​Small Diomede Island has a wildlife refuge and a tiny population of Eskimo.

​The gap between the two islands became known as the "Ice Curtain".

Comment

I like that the media has to report on it, further spreading this data. Free press my ass.

Comment

I checked out our farm. Someone visited and from where they went, im guessing it was my brother. Main road only, nothing further afield. But it is interesting to see where the various mountainbike trails in our area join up.

Comment

ahh... interesting.... so now I can see that people do take certain routes in adjacent canyons to some of the ones I hike in. In other words, wearing your device and sharing the data is going to reveal your secret black market hike to others who are hesitant to go that way without knowing if they can get through or complete a loop...

Comment

Interesting to see travel between Falklands and Argentina.
                            Didn't think there was.

Comment

Originally posted by Hildemel View Post
                              Interesting to see travel between Falklands and Argentina.
                              Didn't think there was.
                              There isn't.

Well i mean there probably officially isn't

Comment

Working...
                              X