9mm Colt 45 Jamming problems.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 9mm Colt 45 Jamming problems.

Buddy of mine here in Romania recently and legally I might add obtained a 9mm Colt 45 hand gun, when shooting at the range he is getting a lot of jams,

He mentioned its a 1940s era weapon (I presume thats been re machined for 9mm ammo?)

Not having held the weapon as I am on the other side of the country, my thoughts are worn parts or ammo problem, any input welcome.

I would post the ammunition type, too.

Comment

Ammunition type could be an issue, some stuff like my buddies Red 9 C96 required +P loads to cycle properly, but my old Star BKS only needed P.

Suggest a box of +P and +P+ to run through if it was originally a .45.

Comment

Originally posted by Connaught Ranger View Post
        Buddy of mine here in Romania recently and legally I might add obtained a 9mm Colt 45 hand gun, when shooting at the range he is getting a lot of jams,

He mentioned its a 1940s era weapon (I presume thats been re machined for 9mm ammo?)

Not having held the weapon as I am on the other side of the country, my thoughts are worn parts or ammo problem, any input welcome.
        What I about to say may sound pedantic, so apologies in advance ..

Colt. 45 is revolver ammunition (or really cheap beer).

A Colt 1911 pistol maybe chambered in .45 ACP (I have one in my safe) or 9mm, etc.

But, I am not aware of Colt .45 ever being used in a pistol, let alone a 1911 style pistol, but only in single action revolvers and lever action rifles.

So, I assume the animal in question is 1911 style pistol in 9mm, correct?

In other words, this is not an old revolver original chambered in Colt .45, and then (somehow) re-chambered in 9mm, correct?

Comment

Its not this thing here?!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colt_Single_Action_Army

Also, i cant help any further

Comment

Originally posted by N-rg View Post
            Its not this thing here?!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colt_Single_Action_Army

Also, i cant help any further
            Nah

He is probably talking about this beastie:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/M1911_pistol

Comment

A common cause is the bullet design. lead bullets with hollow points when being forced up a steep feed ramp will mush. The semi wad cutter was the preferred bullet for the .45. This applies to pistols with steep/sharp feed ramp. One needs to determine the cause of jamming, look at all those things that can cause jamming to be sure. But his is probably the most common cause

BTW yes there is are 1911 chambered for .9mm..................... The other bullet choice is FMJ. I had a 1911 in 9mm, I do not remember that the bullet ramp was like. There can be other reasons.

@GB, there are two colts .45. The .45 COLT a rimmed case and the .45 ACP (automatic colt pistol) for the 1911) .45 Colt is also referred to as 45 long colt to differentiate it from the .45 Schofield (during the Calvary days) both are revolvers.

The .45 colt revolver can shoot, .45 Russian, .45 special and the .45 Colt.

To get even more confusing there are pistols that will shoot .45 ACP. IN the 50's S&W developed a revolver in .45acp for competition against the 1911. Ruger also has inter change able cylinders in .45 colt and .45 acp for the Blackhawk revolver
              Last edited by Hollis; 04-01-2018, 09:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Connaught Ranger View Post

I would add trying different magazines as well, they are one of, if not the most common causes of stoppages in otherwise clean and good running mag fed rifles. One of the keys to AK reliability was their magazine. Look at a com bloc AK mag and then look at some of the early AR mags. Theirs were built like brick shit houses. May not have a lot of choice in a modified vintage weapon.

Comment

Then again, could just be a POS pistol. Not saying it is, not saying Glocks are, everyone has different experiences.

Comment

Working...
                  X