Bushcraft items and topics; outdoor survival

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bushcraft items and topics; outdoor survival

Since I was a kid in boy scouts one of my favorite topics was fire building using primitive methods etc. As a scout I learned proper match and lighter fire building and won contests among scout groups. As an adult I progressed and mastered : bow drill fire building, flint and steel and Fire Piston. Here are a couple photos of my Cocobolo wood fire piston and flint and FireSteels:

A fire piston causes compressed air and thus heat to start a tiny spark of fire on a tiny bit of cloth, cotton or other tinder on the tip of the plunger.......

coco bolo wood Fire Piston: closed

Fire piston open:

Fire Steels and chunk of flint (chert from Texas):

You are a top man.

Bow drill and boot lace. Did it one time and the greatest invention is the match.

Love the Alaskan shows you guys have.

Tape a fine tread of cotton to my barrel to tell the wind direction.

My honing stone is in a leather pouch. I wipe the scurf on the leather so its like a leather strop with a little honing. Put the stone back in for support.
    Then use it like a strop.
    Because the leather gives a bit the edge is contacted and give it a little finer honing. Gets back to shaving sharp real fast.
    Also I always pull the blade away on the stone. Just don't over do it and feel the edge for how its progressing. I was taught to do that very young by a professional butcher. Never push the edge forward on the stone. I think the idea of developing a bur is only to sell more knives and stones.

Few months ago I was recovering from flu. Went out. Shot a deer. Almost winter Too tired and late to walk out but no gear except a tarp so just make a fire and get through it. Next day could hunt again would be the bonus. Long night of stoking the fire then snoozing.
    But it was beautiful. Because its surviving and making do.

So much respect for early pioneers. Stone age people were either prepared or dead.

Comment

primer the craft of primitive skills is a great thing to learn and know IMO. Gives one confidence and aids in survival ability.
      Few things in life surpass a good outing with campfire brewed coffee, and the smell of freshly cooked campfire v food when one is hungry from honest treking. I have spent many hours fishing and honing outdoor skills, thru animal tracking, and obseving nature.

My grandparents taught me much.

Comment

few more photos of bushcraft things......

pix of Char-cloth (black rectangle) made from old cotton tee shirt, burned to ash in the Altoid tin with holes punched in top on a fire grill about 3 inch above a low flame (showing the Altoid tin with holes punched and blackened from making char cloth, and an unburned tin used to store charcloth in later); two P-38 can openers from US army circa 1971; a brass turned match save holding "strike anywhere" matches waterproofed with wax on tips.....small plastic zip lock bag for char cloth and fire tinder.....

a small piece of tin foil I always carry in my fire kit to move embers with, a commercial fire striker on a metal beaded dog tag chain, an aluminum cased compass on a neck lanyard....

and lastly three hafted flint "arrowheads" I chipped mounted on native wood foreshafts can be used for cutting knifes, or dart points, ; two of my survival knives, one a modern knock off USMC knife for beating in the bush (not expensive in case lost), and a custom made high carbon steel small knife and sheath for smaller jobs; and my favorite whetstone.....

Comment

Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Originally posted by merkwurdig View Post
            Thanks for sharing.

agree, I like the fire piston, never saw one before...

Comment

Originally posted by peping View Post

agree, I like the fire piston, never saw one before...

This is the 2nd one i have owned. Learned of them around year 2000 or so. The first time you use one and it makes a glowing ember....it is amazing that it actually works!!!

Comment

Who the hell came up with that idea. I suppose blowing creates more fire. So a super fast flow of air can ignite tinder.

Or was it just pure luck evolved out of some campfire game. Shooting crap at each other with the pump.

Anyway man wins, beats nature.

Dogs are a massive advantage for meat gathering. You have dogs you have meat on the table wherever you feel like it.
                Also fight off attackers.
                https://www.livescience.com/31997-do...-together.html

Parallel evolution The team then compared corresponding genes in dogs and humans. They found both species underwent similar changes in genes responsible for digestion and metabolism, such as genes that code for cholesterol transport. Those changes could be due to a dramatic change in the proportion of animal versus plant-based foods that occurred in both at around the same time, the researchers said.

We like pets. Taking a pup and feeding it knowing they can run down game is just logic.

https://retrieverman.net/2010/12/02/...ua-new-guinea/

Going bush without a dog is pushing shit up a hill. You are just wandering around using knowledge and luck. Awesome for fitness and yoga flexibility but that's about all.

A dog is like humans first step in automation in a way. Anyone could do it with a good dog. MacDogalds burgers.

Comment

Originally posted by primer View Post
                  Who the hell came up with that idea. I suppose blowing creates more fire. So a super fast flow of air can ignite tinder.

Or was it just pure luck evolved out of some campfire game. Shooting crap at each other with the pump.

Anyway man wins, beats nature.

Dogs are a massive advantage for meat gathering. You have dogs you have meat on the table wherever you feel like it.
                  Also fight off attackers.
                  https://www.livescience.com/31997-do...-together.html

Parallel evolution The team then compared corresponding genes in dogs and humans. They found both species underwent similar changes in genes responsible for digestion and metabolism, such as genes that code for cholesterol transport. Those changes could be due to a dramatic change in the proportion of animal versus plant-based foods that occurred in both at around the same time, the researchers said.

We like pets. Taking a pup and feeding it knowing they can run down game is just logic.

https://retrieverman.net/2010/12/02/...ua-new-guinea/

Going bush without a dog is pushing shit up a hill. You are just wandering around using knowledge and luck. Awesome for fitness and yoga flexibility but that's about all.

A dog is like humans first step in automation in a way. Anyone could do it with a good dog. MacDogalds burgers.

the way it was explained to me it is the compression of air quickly that creates the heat.....not sure why or how. But it is (to me at least) similar to the combustion engine in autos, pistons compress the air fuel mixture and the spark ignites that mixture. But the fire piston has been around for centuries .......supposedly.

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAL...Sm8AlZyD3nQdBA

You'll like this video maker, commanding. Make sure subtitles are turned on.

Comment

Cool^

Astounding art of Eskimo Kayak construction. Surviving in an environment with least resources.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKFJ855JcHY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lqYv9Cramo

Maori rope making.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfW6JVdLnfU&t=41s

You can also scrape off the outside layers flat on a table, do both sides with a knife revealing the fibre. Then place the fibre on thigh and spin it by simply rubbing your had forward in one direction.
                      Quality material.

Comment

Better with smaller hose

A frame

Comment

Working...
                        X