US imposes stiff tariffs on Canada's Bombardier

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US imposes stiff tariffs on Canada's Bombardier

Washington (AFP) - The United States announced Tuesday it was imposing preliminary anti-dumping duties of 220 percent on CSeries jets made by Canadian aerospace firm Bombardier following a complaint by American manufacturer Boeing.

The Commerce Department ruled that Bombardier had unfairly benefited from state subsidies in selling its 100- to 150-seat aircraft below cost to Delta Airlines.

Both Canada and the United Kingdom, where some of the parts are built, had sought to persuade the US to drop the case.

-- What happens when your product beats the giants in the industry.
    The United States announced Tuesday it was imposing preliminary anti-dumping duties of 220 percent on CSeries jets made by Canadian aerospace firm Bombardier following a complaint by American manufacturer Boeing. The Commerce Department ruled that Bombardier had unfairly benefited from state subsidies

Hard to compete when your rival sells below cost. As a fearful passenger, my concern would be, which is the superior aircraft?

Comment

The CS by far is the superior one, it is newer and thus has better avionics architecture. Well they both try to undercut things and the US might not "subsidize" but its government "offers" support. Same thing as how the Airlines in the Philippines were blacklisted due to issues with safety (nevermind that it has one of the safest skies in the planet in terms of aircraft incidents) but it is now ok, with no major changes... except of course the local airlines but 50 Airbuses and some 777.

Comment

Boeing uses yokes instead of sidesticks, so:
        Airbus, Bombardier > Boeing

Comment

So this is how the US is treating its closest ally and trade partner...well, good luck, brexitland.

Comment

Originally posted by N-rg View Post
            Boeing uses yokes instead of sidesticks, so:
            Airbus, Bombardier > Boeing
            I dont see the connection really. That's just personal preference. I fly the one with the sidestick and if you told me tomorrow I will be flying a 737, my reply would be: How much higher will my pay be and when do I start training.

- oh and if you hear an airline pilot saying "if it aint Boeing, i aint going," he is a lying sack of shit. I have never heard an airline pilot turn down a gig cause of the aircraft manufacturer used by an airline.

Comment

Originally posted by Junglejim View Post
              I dont see the connection really. That's just personal preference. I fly the one with the sidestick and if you told me tomorrow I will be flying a 737, my reply would be: How much higher will my pay be and when do I start training.

- oh and if you hear an airline pilot saying "if it aint Boeing, i aint going," he is a lying sack of shit. I have never heard an airline pilot turn down a gig cause of the aircraft manufacturer used by an airline.
              Never heard that one! I have heard, and experienced, Delta. Doesn't Ever Leave The Airport..

Comment

Didn't these jack wagons just get a bail out in Canada too? Tariff the fuck out of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Kap View Post
                  Didn't these jack wagons just get a bail out in Canada too? Tariff the fuck out of them.
                  Gee Kap, do you have to sugar coat everything like that? It's so hard to know what you are thinking. ; )

Comment

Kap, is so vague sometimes you just dont know what she is trying to say

Almost all big industry get bail outs. Remember who won the F-35 big (LockMart) but the manufacturing was spread out that even Boeing got some gig too.

Comment

Lockheed got the biggest corporate bailout in US history (at the time) in the 1970's after the F-104 bribery scandal (not to mention the woes with the L-1011).

Comment

Boeing got left behind in the innovation front of Aircraft systems and is now playing catch up. People try to play it off as a "Pilots Aircraft" when reality shows that ergonomically speaking they only just recently got caught up with Airbus and now Bombardier. You can see this by just entering cockpit of the A320 versus the 737. Then you look at the design and philosphy of the two and you will notice the differences. Both are pretty safe (Riderboy take note). However the Airbus is just more pilot friendly, and this is why an A320 pilot can be placed in an A330 and 340 and it wouldnt be hard to adjust.

Lets not go into the fact that the Alpha protections in the Airbus puts it ahead in the Boeing...
                        - No stall
                        - Minimal Upset situations
                        - 3 back ups for everything
                        - Easier emergency actions

Comment

Originally posted by Junglejim View Post
                          Boeing got left behind in the innovation front of Aircraft systems and is now playing catch up. People try to play it off as a "Pilots Aircraft" when reality shows that ergonomically speaking they only just recently got caught up with Airbus and now Bombardier. You can see this by just entering cockpit of the A320 versus the 737. Then you look at the design and philosphy of the two and you will notice the differences. Both are pretty safe (Riderboy take note). However the Airbus is just more pilot friendly, and this is why an A320 pilot can be placed in an A330 and 340 and it wouldnt be hard to adjust.

Lets not go into the fact that the Alpha protections in the Airbus puts it ahead in the Boeing...
                          - No stall
                          - Minimal Upset situations
                          - 3 back ups for everything
                          - Easier emergency actions
                          "Pilot friendly" sounds good to me. I morbidly watch Air Disasters on The Smithsonian Channel and am really shocked by the number related to pilots who screwed up, sometimes in pretty basic ways.

Comment

Originally posted by riderboy View Post

"Pilot friendly" sounds good to me. I morbidly watch Air Disasters on The Smithsonian Channel and am really shocked by the number related to pilots who screwed up, sometimes in pretty basic ways.
                            Most of the time human factor is the main culprit in air crashes (as in car crashes too) in conjonction or without conjonction with technical/hardware factors.
                            A purely 100% hardware crash is not so common
                            And even if hardware related, enquiries show that it is often related to upstream maintenance/QC/SOPs issues
                            The proportion of crashes caused by pilot error now stands at around 50 per cent.
                            Equipment failures still account for around 20 per cent of aircraft losses.
                            Bad weather accounts for around 10 per cent of aircraft losses.
                            About 10 per cent of aircraft losses are caused by sabotage.
                            The remaining losses are attributed to other types of human error, like mistakes made by air traffic controllers, dispatchers, loaders, fuellers or maintenance engineers.

Comment

Originally posted by riderboy View Post

I spent a couple of years writing about aircraft accidents and crashes for a living - I never read or wrote anything that would stop me getting on an aircraft except for maybe avoiding certain carriers who were perhaps a bit more accident-prone than necessarily made me comfortable.

Comment

Working...
                              X