Airbus Helicopters X3

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Airbus Helicopters X3

I think this looks very promising. Less complicated than Sikorsky X2 concept and Bell's tiltrotor.

Saw that thing live on the ILA 2012. Quite impressive performance but unbelievable loud. I'm not sure how viable it is with propellers on the side. They seem to massively hinder access to the cabin and presumably have to be turned off each time somebody wants to get in or out.

Here's a crappy vid of the display.

Comment

Well.. they are developing it into this thing, with the propellers placed the other way around.
      http://www.airbus.com/newsroom/press...iguration.html
      Don't know if that changes anything?

Comment

Originally posted by The Dane View Post
        Well.. they are developing it into this thing, with the propellers placed the other way around.
        http://www.airbus.com/newsroom/press...iguration.html
        Don't know if that changes anything?
        It shields passengers during ground ops, the box-wing generates lift and at optimum speed helps to reduce fuel consumption.
        Safer, faster, cheaper.

Comment

A pusher type helicopter with additional lift surfaces is far from a new concept of course. Whether this design will be more successful than the others remains to be seen.

Comment

The X3 is a "puller" and not a "pusher" but of course it's not a new concept (see AH-56 for example). The difference to other versions is that it was put together and made functional within two years by mainly using of the shelf components.

Comment

Originally posted by Marsch View Post
              The X3 is a "puller" and not a "pusher" but of course it's not a new concept (see AH-56 for example). The difference to other versions is that it was put together and made functional within two years by mainly using of the shelf components.
              I was referring to the second version that Dane posted. Ultimately similar in concept to something like the ducted propeller equipped Piasecki X-49.

Comment

Working...
              X