Q: Vertical foregrip on M4 etc

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Q: Vertical foregrip on M4 etc

Having never even held such a weapon, nor seen one in the flesh, I often wondered about the difference in holding/using an assault weapon with a vertical foregrip like the M4, as compared to the "old" style, such as a standard M16.
    To those of you experienced in such things, how much better is the addition of the vertical foregrip? Is it more comfortable, adds to stability, accuracy etc?

At first I thought it a gimmick and then we got issued the M4 and I installed the RAS systems. There is an improvement to my mind in controllability and handling. I further took it by installing a second M16A2 style grip instead of the tool handle shaped one. now it held better IMO.

Some would install the front grip very close to the mag well, some in the middle, others all the way out towards the front sight assy. Mine was comfortable at about 2/3 out from Magwell.

Comment

Thank you.

Comment

I prefer the vertical grip on my rifles, I've got one on my work rifle aswell as my carbine at home. I don't often grab onto it as you would a pistol grip, but use them more like hand stops with my thumb wrapped over top the handguard.

It really comes down to shooter preference. I'm about to swap the KAC RAS on my carbine for a DD RIS II, so we'll see what goes on and if I use a longer reach.

Comment

The VFG and it’s derivitives such as the AFG help reduce fatigue in the off hand supporting the weapon. The wrist isn’t really used to being at the angle it’s when using a traditional shooting stance. I’ve found they help with maneuverability in CQ as well helped me get the rifle around corners a little faster.

Comment

I've wondered bout those too, may have to try one. I've also seen people with a funky above barrel grip with the fore hand. Looks pretty cheesy but I've never really practiced it.

Comment

I tried a VFG but didn't like it because I felt that it put the center of gravity too high with respect to my hand. On the other hand, the AFG feels pretty good to me, especially in supported positions such as bench and prone. All this said, my preferences may be because I was never properly trained with a VFG and have used a standard type forearm on various weapons for 40 years now.

Comment

Here, this type of grip. Seems a little contrived but I don't know.

Comment

I tend to use it in a mechanically similar fashion to a magazine well hold. Its a seamless transition from the basic forearm hold, with more efficient muzzle rise control, and simple application of stock-shoulder pressure.

Comment

Working...
                  X