No announcement yet.

Discovery of lost WW2 Mosquito plans will allow 'Wooden Wonder' to fly again

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Discovery of lost WW2 Mosquito plans will allow 'Wooden Wonder' to fly again

A good find

Donations here http://www.peoplesmosquito.org.uk/
    A newly-discovered hoard of secret Second World War aircraft technical drawings will be used by enthusiasts to rebuild and launch a Mosquito plane into the skies above Britain.

Cool! That is one sexy aircraft.

Comment

They pissed Goering off no end.

Comment

You'd think such plans would already exist in the national archives or something... hard to fathom how every single copy would just be scrapped. I wonder if it's the same deal with Spitfire and Hurricane plans...

Comment

The sad truth is that manufacturers and governments often destroy or dispose of old documents simply due to the cost of keeping and archiving them. If we're lucky, a person who is interested in history and understands the importance of the documents will save them before their destruction.

Comment

Well that's a slightly misleading title considering the restorations that are flying have been pretty much complete new builds in regards to fuselages and wings.
            http://www.mosquitorestoration.com/index.shtml

Comment

Originally posted by JimHPTN View Post
              The sad truth is that manufacturers and governments often destroy or dispose of old documents simply due to the cost of keeping and archiving them. If we're lucky, a person who is interested in history and understands the importance of the documents will save them before their destruction.
              JimHPTN very true and of course original hand drawings were only one set and prints were generally from light sensitive papers, and will fade over time due to light exposure.

My brother and myself have saved many plans of buildingsover decades

Comment

Originally posted by Corrupt View Post
                They pissed Goering off no end.
                The original Fat Bastard.

Comment

The Mosquito was made of plywood and any fire represented a serious danger because the structure (bonded with glues and resins) burned with inconvenient eagerness.

Thats such a British phrasing.

Comment

How I wish they could do the same with some of the German planes...

I would love to see a Do235, a Ta152, a He 219, a Me410 or even a Fw200. Hell! Even a Stuka with a functioning siren!

Comment

Really strange that none of the drawings survived. Especially as the D.H.98 was operated into the 50s.

The Microfilm cards they show on the picture are certainly not WWII era.

The Mosquito is really beautiful, I built one Revell model as a kid. I didn't get the wood thing back then. Nice lines, what looks good - flies good.

Ivan le Fou

At least the FW 200 is on the way 55 pensioneers are restoring an aircraft

https://www.dlbs.de/en/Projects/Fock...ndor/index.php

Comment

Originally posted by Ivan le Fou View Post
                        How I wish they could do the same with some of the German planes...

I would love to see a Do235, a Ta152, a He 219, a Me410 or even a Fw200. Hell! Even a Stuka with a functioning siren!
                        I'd love to see more of the US stash that was collected during the last year of the war be brought out of the dark halls of the Smithsonian. I believe they do have a Ta-152.

Get some billionaire's fetish for collecting exotic aircraft stirred up to the point where they will spend the Benjamins!

Comment

Originally posted by Euroamerican View Post

I'd love to see more of the US stash that was collected during the last year of the war be brought out of the dark halls of the Smithsonian. I believe they do have a Ta-152.

Get some billionaire's fetish for collecting exotic aircraft stirred up to the point where they will spend the Benjamins!
                          They have one, but it is in a really really poor state: https://www.google.fr/search?q=ta+15...=2294&bih=1310

They also have a D0335 A on static display as well.

Comment

As i have heard the odd young person say.

"Rad"

I believe this means the same thing it did 20 years ago.

Comment

Working...
                            X