Ushanka appreciation thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ushanka appreciation thread

It's Ushanka season again. These are really great hats and warm as toast. Some of mine include an old Soviet Arctic Ushanka with the longer earflaps (Annie, one of our barn cats seems to like it), and the newer version with velcro and polarfleece lining in digital camo that is very, very comfy.

Last edited by riderboy; 05-12-2016, 07:14 AM.

Those are awesome

Comment

I have one, no badges though. I did have a Soviet militia police badge on it once but who know where that's gone. One of the warmest things I own.

Comment

Ughh that new fugly green digital one. Not even a proper Ushanka.

I have two - my black Navy one with a naval badge/insignia and my civilian one, the later of which I wear to work every day. I get called an American tourist, because at least at my age its only tourists that are seen wearing them - but I don't care, only thing that matters is that its warm as hell.

Used to have a grey army Ushanka too, with a Guards insignia/badge no less. Pocketed it from the surplus warehouse of my base, there were a whole load of them there which was funny as we were a naval base not a Guards army unit (the warehouse was literally clearing out and giving away all this old stuff just when I was finishing my service, it was all written off and I just came there and picked out a whole inventory of military clothes and trinkets w/o any problems).
        But I gave that Ushanka away a few years back.

Comment

Originally posted by riderboy View Post
          Annie, one of our barn cats seems to like it
          I have a Yukon hat issued by the Canadian Armed Forces. It's made of muskrat and my cat was really quite fascinated with it.

Comment

Agree with OP, Both warm, older one is a bit 'cooler' but the new one is comfy as it gets!

Comment

I have a hat like that, my parents got it in Russia. They told me it was bear skin, its black. Surely not bear skin?

Comment

Originally posted by t3ngu View Post
                I have a hat like that, my parents got it in Russia. They told me it was bear skin, its black. Surely not bear skin?
                What do you think blue ones are made from?

Comment

Originally posted by teh_beard View Post

What do you think blue ones are made from?
                  I think the old joke was "fish fur"? Warm winter clothing like the Ushanka certainly didn't hurt the Russians during WW II.

http://imageshack.com/a/img922/5404/6vn3GQ.jpg

Comment

if you wanna look cool try the father of ushanka - malahay(fur hat with tail).
                    https://www.google.ru/search?q=malah...xmAEIQ_AUIBigB

Comment

Originally posted by riderboy View Post
                      I think the old joke was "fish fur"? Warm winter clothing like the Ushanka certainly didn't hurt the Russians during WW II.

http://imageshack.com/a/img922/5404/6vn3GQ.jpg

The Soviets dumped their budenovkas and started using the Ushanka because of lessons learned in the Winter War where the Finnish were using their karvalakkis.

Comment

Comment

Former Soviet peoples of themess.net:

I have a blue coloured ushanka. My research indicates it is an MVD one. Two questions for my comrades:

Where these blue ones issued during the Soviet era or were they post-Soviet?

Is the appropriate badge the small rounder badges or the big hat style cockades?

Spasiba.

Comment

Originally posted by Te Zorro View Post
                            Former Soviet peoples of themess.net:

I have a blue coloured ushanka. My research indicates it is an MVD one. Two questions for my comrades:

Where these blue ones issued during the Soviet era or were they post-Soviet?

Is the appropriate badge the small rounder badges or the big hat style cockades?

Spasiba.
                            Fish fur is characteristic for later Soviet Union and RF until recent times, when digi-camo/green fur heresy began.
                            So cockade choice depends on what you trying to emulate. Ovoid with star for past '95 Russia and everything else, especially with hammers and sickles, for Soviet times.

Comment

I was thinking about a Soviet police or KGB border guard badge but I wasn't sure which would be the correct one.

Comment

Working...
                              X