Marines Upgrade AAVs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marines Upgrade AAVs

The Program Executive Officer, Land Systems Marine Corps hosted a media demonstration of the Corps’ upgraded amphibious assault vehicle at Marine Corps Base Quantico, Virginia, March 15, 2016.

PEO LS created the AAV Survivability Program to provide the Marine operating forces with 392 vehicles that have a longer life span because of updated features for the current battle spaces and force protection.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6TsJW5QcRY

Well, they had to do something after the EFV boondoggle.

Comment

Yes, I just wonder if drivetrain, suspension, brakes etc. can cope with extra weight.

Comment

Awesome. Another AMTRAC to conduct amphibious assaults on cities like Baghdad, Ramadi, or Fallujah in.

Comment

Originally posted by ImpartialBias View Post
          Awesome. Another AMTRAC to conduct amphibious assaults on cities like Baghdad, Ramadi, or Fallujah in.
          Spoken like someone who doesn't understand the Corps' foremost purpose for existence since developing the first detailed amphibious assault doctrine in the wake of WWI.

Comment

Originally posted by Ratamacue View Post
            Spoken like someone who doesn't understand the Corps' foremost purpose for existence since developing the first detailed amphibious assault doctrine in the wake of WWI.
            I get that. The thing that sucks about AMTRACs is they're painfully slow. I saw SKorean Marines assault a beach once. The only thing I had going through my mind was, give me a heavy weapons PLT or Co with some ATGMs, and I could seriously fuck up this assault before it even hit the beach.

So most beach landings for that reason are going to have the defending element heavily suppressed beforehand, or nonexistent. Which calls into question the use of AAVs. Their niche role is ship to shore, beyond that, as fighting vehicles, they suck. LAV-25s are notionally amphibious, the only problem being they only ever really operate on land, and with that, because of all the extra armor and equipment they now carry, are no longer amphibious. AAV7s sucked ass in Iraq, because they were operating exclusively out of a role they were intended for. You fight with what you've got. So why not get something that makes sense for everything but it's very narrow niche role. So if you're conducting landing operations with an enemy suppressed, or nonexistent, develop your ship to shore means. Invest in more dedicated landing/hovercraft to get equipment that can actually fight well once ashore, ashore.

It seems even the Marine Corps top brass are stepping away from the within the horizon beach assault method, and focusing on being Americas rapid reaction force. Developing ship to shore methods, rather than vehicles, would make more sense for this. At least that's my perspective on it.

Because let's be honest. Will these things ever really conduct a hostile beach assault? Most likely no. And even if they did, they then have to spend the rest of the operation fighting on land.

Comment

Can they focus on fixing the whole deal about the fucking exhaust basically dumping into the crew and trooper compartments, and you know them catching fire. That’d be cool.

Comment

Working...
              X