Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Knives Bayonets And Cutting Instruments.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Roger that, Legion 12.

These days I'm likely to grab this Spyderco Manix 2 Lightweight. 3 oz right there with a > 3" blade, gotta love it.

Comment

Originally posted by merkwurdig View Post
      Roger that, Legion 12.

These days I'm likely to grab this Spyderco Manix 2 Lightweight. 3 oz right there with a > 3" blade, gotta love it.
      Last edited by digrar; 18-02-2018, 03:11 PM.

Comment

Made a survival/bush knife from some leaf springs i got a couple years ago.

I'd cut their rough shape out years ago but never actually finished the project until some recent down time at work.

They are flattened (40t press) Kia Carnival springs.

I went with a simple Tanto style point just due to the fact its easier to cut, plus my aim for this knife to be a heavy (they are 6mm thick) survival knife, shorter than a machete but longer than a knife and use-able as a pseudo axe, using a thick 30 degree blade angle so they can take a flogging, paracord wrap the handle so it could be removed and used to lash it to a spear etc if needed.

The two blanks i cut

After some bench grinder work, went 40/80/120/180 grit, then to 240/360 grit

A bit of handle shaping

Next was the quenching and tempering which i didnt get any photos of.

1) I heated the blade with some gas burners in a makeshift kiln till i couldnt get a magnet to stick to it
        2) Quenched the blade in some canola oil
        3)Then tempered the blade in one 2hr cycle at 200C

Then used the other blank to figure out the kydex sheath.

Finshed, after a HEAP more more on the blade. Despite my best efforts flattening the blade in the press it still has a slight curve in a section of it that made it a bit difficult to sharpen.

Re- the sheath. i left the kydex in the oven a little too long when i went to grab a beer that it got to soft and started to weep through the cake tray- giving those annoying ripples.
        Either way pretty happy with the way it turned out.

Comment

That's awesome work! Much better use of anything from a Kia.

Comment

Originally posted by Divingengineer View Post
            Made a survival/bush knife from some leaf springs i got a couple years ago.

I'd cut their rough shape out years ago but never actually finished the project until some recent down time at work.

They are flattened (40t press) Kia Carnival springs.

Nice!

I still have one out of three knives made for me by my Dad. This is the smaller of two (fish <75 lb), that were made for butchering Yellowfin/Bigeye Tuna, mostly for sashimi.

The other was good for up to 225-250 lb, and the third blade was my pig hunting knife, 9" x .25". The missing blades were appropriated by my fishing/hunting partner on the Big Island. Convex edges throughout.

Comment

Nice homemade sheath too with drainage/cleanout hole.

One of the nice things of having a wide end on a machete is able to use it as a spade. Camp pot makes a good shovel for clearing a hole.

Could do some work with that one Divingengineer. Trimming tracks and building huts

Comment

My dad gave me a handmade knife as a gift recently. The grip is covered with horn, rams horn to be precise, just like i wanted it. The problem is that that stuff smells. And by „smells“ i mean it smells like the ram is literally attached to the knife itself.
                Does anybody know how i can get rid of that smell? The knife is great but i can‘t do jacksh*t with it as of now, because of that smell.
                I used some Ballistol but that probably made it worse.

Comment

Originally posted by Hansinator View Post
                  My dad gave me a handmade knife as a gift recently. The grip is covered with horn, rams horn to be precise, just like i wanted it. The problem is that that stuff smells. And by „smells“ i mean it smells like the ram is literally attached to the knife itself.
                  Does anybody know how i can get rid of that smell? The knife is great but i can‘t do jacksh*t with it as of now, because of that smell.
                  I used some Ballistol but that probably made it worse.
                  Try soaking it in vinegar for a short time.

Comment

Will attract other rams to fight with you.
                    Rotten or actual Rammy smell?
                    Is it not sealed?

Comment

• Originally posted by primer View Post
                      Will attract other rams to fight with you.
                      Rotten or actual Rammy smell?
                      Is it not sealed?
                      Well it kinda smells like a petting zoo. It's not rotten but now that you mention it, it is actually not sealed or lacquered/varnished or something. Would that help?
                      I had it lying around on the balcony for a couple of days and the smell is gone just a bit, but i imagine if it heats up again it will smell like kray kray.

Comment

• Lacquering it will bring out the colour, make it shine and seal in odour.

They leave the horns to dry for a long time so all the shrinkage is gone out of them and don't warp after mounting. So the smell will be in the little cracks. I'm wondering how the horn was handled to remove the guts of it. Like let it rot out or beetles clean it out. The smell impregnates into the horn and cracks. If those were polished off then that solves the difficult to clean out cracks.

Inside the horn at the core and base its porous because of blood supply. Its required that the soft tissue is removed and epoxied to mount it. Since its not smelling rotten then that indicates it not the problem.

The surface must be rough and natural looking for it to be hard to clean well.
                        So just clean the outside as best you can and lacquer it if you want too.

Vinegar or baking soda are old household remedies for odor killing.

Avoid harsh chlorine because of bleaching. Pino Clean is low chlorine and good smell stopper.

Comment

• Italian bastard sword.

Comment

• Any ideas on the blade, (not the babe,) looking to id the sword as its being offered to me for about 350 Euros.

free upload no registration

Comment

• Looks like its legit it's a rapier. I could post it on a sword forum , find out more.

Comment

• Originally posted by Connaught Ranger View Post
                                Any ideas on the blade, (not the babe,) looking to id the sword as its being offered to me for about 350 Euros.

Is this sword in Romania ? Do you have any more pics , especially of the end of the pommel and the guard ? Guys seem to think it might be 19th century and possibly a mix of parts.
                                Last edited by digrar; 02-03-2018, 10:43 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X